View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 12:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jig Saw 123 View Post
Well, technically speaking, he clearly didn't care whether Bruce lived or died after he left. It was all over the news Bruce was completely broke and Alfred still didn't come back to help. Bruce is gone for five months and we don't even see Alfred try to communicate with Blake about what happened to his dear Master Wayne. If Alfred left to show Bruce he needed to quit then it was rather redundant seeing as we don't see Alfred again until everyone thinks Bruce is dead...
I don't agree with this. Of course Alfred cared whether Bruce lived or died, otherwise he wouldn't have made an ultimatum. Bruce wanted to die as Batman, and Alfred thought his life as a human being was more important than throwing his life away as Batman. Alfred tried to explain this to him but he's the one who made the decision to continue being Batman.

It's the same with his financial situation, everybody advised him to treat his finances more wisely, but Bruce went with his gut every time. You can't blame Alfred or Lucius for Bruce's stubbornness. Bruce's hubris was overpowering in this film to the point of him burning the bridges that have been around since the foundation of the franchise.

Metaphorically, I see it play out like an episode of Intervention. It's a tough situation for everybody involved; but, while the abandonment is harsh, you can't really sit back and blame the father for not wanting to watch his son throw his life away into a crack pipe.

And why would Alfred contact John Blake? He met the man once, even Bruce and Blake weren't that close. Blake spent most of the movie interacting with Gordon and Foley, not Bruce. Once Alfred walked out we didn't need to see him again, it would have brought the story to a halt. His emotional state of mind during his fight with Bruce explains how he feels about Bruce's decision to continue being Batman at the expense of losing Alfred. We can use what was established with the character to assume his reaction: he was upset.

Here's my point about Alfred I posted earlier:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
Alfred always had a "tough love" attitude with Bruce. Watch his tone in the scene in Batman Begins before Chill's trial, he's scolding Bruce for his lack of respect. "I give a damn, Master Bruce..."

Alfred scolds Bruce after the tumbler chase in the first movie. "The only reason I didn't call the men in the white coats is because you said it wasn't thrill seeking." Then he points at the newscast, he obviously disapproves of many of Bruce's methods throughout the franchise.

"When you stitch yourself up you do make a bloody mess."

He also encourages Bruce to find a little more happiness in his life long before TDKR. "Perhaps you should hire them(Batman copycats) and take the weekend off."

Alfred's a human being and has gone from watching his beloved employers(almost family really) get gunned down, to raising their son as his own, to believing that son died during his 7 year absence, seeing his return and commencement of a very dangerous life as a vigilante.

There's an 8-year gap between TDK and TDKR and it's up to our own imagination to fill in the gap. Bruce has obviously been extremely depressed since Rachael's death and Alfred has himself to blame for it, due to his deception with burning Rachael's letter. Bruce might have been happier if he knew Rachael chose Harvey, but Alfred thought he was protecting him.

Also citing Alfred's "never give up" mentality is ignoring Bruce's death wish. When Alfred says he will "NEVA" give up on Bruce, he's not talking about Batman, he's talking about Bruce as a person. The first time he says it in the franchise is 7 years before Bruce comes up with the concept of Batman. This trilogy is more interested in fleshing Bruce Wayne out as a three dimensional character than just making kewl Batman movies.

Bruce's return as Batman wasn't about stopping Bane, it was about finding a release from his miserable life and finally being put to death. Refusing to support Bruce's death wish is not the same as giving up. Alfred doesn't want to help Bruce commit suicide-by-villain and I don't think that's a stretch for the character or any type of excuse by the film viewers. Realizing that the "never give up" thing is about Bruce Wayne finding a happy life and not about Batman, proves that Alfred's behavior in the third film is completely consistent with how he was portrayed in the first two... and he's STILL guilt-stricken at the finale when he thinks Bruce is dead and wants to blame himself.

Last edited by DaveyJoeG; 09-07-2012 at 04:10 PM..