View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 04:17 PM

I love this freakin' movie. Top 5 zombie films ever.

Lets face it, Italian horror is not known for being especially plot heavy. Guys like Fulci and Argento rely more on mood and atmosphere than building a concrete plot. Some hate that about Italian horror, others love it. Zombie (Zombi 2, Zombie Flesh Eaters...) is no different. It can easily be written off as a stupid film, and it pretty much is. The characters are mostly wooden as hell and paper thin, the acting doesn't fare much better (except for Richard Johnson as Menard, dude rocks) and to top it off our heroes spend the whole movie doing all the stupid shit dumb horror characters do. But for some reason it never really bothers me because like I said, Italian horror isn't about all that. Its mood mood mood! And boy does Zombie have mood to spare!

It's a dirty, decaying, rotten film filled with a palpable sense of dread. You can almost smell the rotting corpses. Every time I watch it I feel like I need to take a shower. It's one of the only horror movies that makes me feel uneasy for the whole run time because it's that good and setting up it's tone. It's a slow burn, but it has a steady build up to a truly nerve racking finale. And lets not forget the incredible zombie effects. For my money, still the best looking zombies ever filmed. Add to that a cool score and you got yourself a horror classic.