View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 06:27 PM
I think Q's logic is spot-on. Personally I think they'll both win another Oscar at some point.

I don't think it's at all crazy to believe that Affleck could win one first, but I struggle to believe he'll have much of a chance with Argo unless all of the big-name films coming out majorly flop with the Academy. I'm very very excited about the film, almost as much as I am for anything else this year. But overcoming a possible nominee list of Spielberg, PTA, Malick, Hooper, Lee, Haneke, Bigelow, Tarantino; not to mention the lesser-known possible contenders (Zeitlin, Bayona). That still leaves out Van Sant, Joe Wright, Wes Anderson... it's hard for me to see Affleck overcoming all those in what is (hopefully) a strong year. Either of the last two years and it might be a different story. But given that he's never even been nominated, seems like a pretty big jump to win.

That said, obviously without having seen the film, I think he WILL be nominated this year and will eventually win.

Damon would seem to be a pretty outside shot for an acting win this year, but he's reliably made good choices and works with the kind of filmmakers who produce winning performances. His time will come.

Last edited by AceD; 09-06-2012 at 06:30 PM..