View Single Post
Old 09-19-2012, 12:27 PM
The Wizard of Oz

The kind of classic that you should (and probably have, let’s not be naive) seen as a kid to really appreciate its timeless charm. But even not having seen Victor Fleming’s indelible adaptation in full till now, I still couldn’t avoid it in general, in my case as a stage performance at a local theatre. So this was pretty much just a formality of a long overdue viewing. It’s a family movie with a big heart, a big imagination, and a big obsession with Technicolor’s many severely colorful benefits. Even for those jaded grunts like me who don’t dig on musicals can find a lot to enjoy in the iconic characters and catchy songs that, despite my not having seen them in their element like this, I immediately knew the lyrics to anyway. If you don’t recognize “Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead” or “Somewhere Over The Rainbow”, you’ve probably been living under a rock. Or wherever Mitt Romney’s from. Judy Garland’s performance is a bit over the top now, but she commits to it with such passion and gusto that I can’t find fault in it. It’s just too earnest. And Toto! Best dog performance ever, perhaps? Suck it, Rin Tin Tin.

-> 7/10