View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
The thing is, I don't think Tarantino is aiming to necessarily make B-movies. He takes B-movie material and turns it into an epic story, where you have a strong narrative, good dialogue, interesting characters and an effective exploration of themes.
I agree that is his ultimate goal, I just don't think he's succeeded since the 90s. Kill Bill Vol 1 had moments of greatness, but tonally it's all over the place. The brutal hospital sequence, the Japanese anime, and the sword fight in the snow all feel like they belong in different movies. He's paying homage to all of his favorite genre flicks, including so many wink wink moments and giving in to self-indulgence that at the end of the day he doesn't have a coherent film. Volume 1 and 2 barely feel like parts of the same story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
Not many people can do what he does.
I disagree, he's a fanboy, just like us. He started as a nerd in a video store with dreams of making films, he just had enough motivation and luck to actually succeed. Give anybody enough cocaine and budget and they could churn out something like Death Proof.