Thread: 2012 Debates
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 10:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderStorm View Post
What rights for minorities is Romney not supporting? Even though Obama has stated he supports gay marriage there is no way he will attempt to drive through a federal law allowing it.The 47% comment was a blunder, but the entitlement system needs to change I know too many hard working people who don't qualify for welfare who truly deserve it, while there are other people who are lazy and play the system. I understand that there is a need for entitlement programs and people truly depend on them for their survival, but the waste of money and abusing the system needs to stop. I am actually fairly liberal on education to be honest, but I agree with Romney that the state and local level of government must first be responsible for their school systems, however I believe that also federal funding should not be cut for school systems. And the environment? What has Obama done besides drive gas prices up astronomically high and waste American tax dollars in futile investments in green energy. The EPA is joke and grossly over funded bureaucratic nightmare that has problems getting anything done. However, the economy is the main reason why Romney gets my support. And yes neither candidate is perfect, I realize that.
I see Romney supporters ask this question all the time, "what has Obama done?"

Well, Obama saved the country from another Great Depression, rebuilt GM, reformed healthcare, reformed Wall Street, doubled the stock market, created 12 straight quarters of GDP growth, created 30 straight months of private sector job growth, got Bin Laden, and got us out of Iraq.

Now with both Romney and his running-mate have repeatedly stated that their intent is to cut taxes 20% for everybody who pays federal income tax. The cost of such a cut over a ten-year period is approximately $5 trillion (check the facts). Both Romney and Ryan say that these cuts would be deficit neutral because, at the same time, they would eliminate certain unspecified loopholes and write-offs currently in the tax code.

The problem is, even if they eliminated every single write-off, including charitable donations and home mortgage interest, it still wouldn't come close to $5 trillion. However, they also say that they would increase revenue by "broadening the tax base". The only way to interpret this is that they intend to tax low and middle income families who, until now, have no earned enough to qualify for paying federal income tax. Therefore, their stated intent is to cut taxes on the wealthiest Americans and raise taxes on the middle class. You can't get around that.

Romney has also stated numerous times that he wants to increase defense spending by a $1 trillion over the next ten years and $2 trillion over the next 20 years. He would also add more than 100,000 more personnel to the armed forces. He has vowed to do this despite the fact that the Pentagon has said it doesn't need the additional people or extra money. Romney just wants to be seen as a pro-military leader by his right-wing base. It is a completely disingenuous position.