View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 03:21 AM
Past Tense

Week two of Limited Edition Horror brings us a bucket full of vampyre mischief in "30 Days Of Night"...

The motion picture opened on October 19th, 2007. It was made with a budget of $32,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over 39 million during its U.S. theatrical run. The film opened number one at the box office, the following week it dropped to number three.

The feature opened against "Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas" (3D re-issue), "The Heartbreak Kid" and "Tyler Perry's Why Did I Get Married?"

This release originally came with a cardboard foil slipcover which mirrored the case's wraparound. It also came with an insert; ad for the graphic novel from which its based on and its printed sequels from IDW. The other side is an ad for various merchandise; action figures, lighter, t-shirts and hoodie from Gentle Giant Ltd.

- - -

The film streeted on home video, February 26th, 2008. There were three exclusives. Lets address this alphabetically...

Circuit City sold it with internet based extras (downloads); five desktops and AIM icons. I bought my copy here. Why? As you read above, this came with a slipcover. The former retail giant sold their exclusive with the cover for $17.99.

Oh yeah, the store offered a second insert; single sided sheet, the web location for the exclusive. I looked, nope, the link is dead.

- - -

FYE/Suncoast had the best of the lot; an exclusive a bonus disc (in a slim case) inside a cardboard slipcase. Cool huh? Not for me, I found out about this too late that afternoon, not that it would've mattered.

I traveled to my nearest FYE, two towns away - only to find out it has been closed down. I hadn't been there in months. The last time I was there was for their exclusive to "Vacancy" (August 3th, 2012, Past Tense).

There was at one point a Suncoast in my local mall. But that too went out of business. I tired the next avenue, I looked online. But to add icing on this disappointment cake that exclusive WASN'T listed on their website - in store only. Just fracking great! I was bummed out to say the least.

Since then I kept looking about Ebay for a good price, used. Years. I came close a few times. Once there was a seller who was selling just the exclusives - slipcase and bonus disc (with case). Perfect! No, it wasn't meant to be, I was out bidded at the last moment. It wasn't until July of 2011 that I finally got it. I paid twelve (including the three bucks for shipping). *nods*

The package was mint, very nice. The bonus disc has a run time of 24:41 minutes, but no menu screen - it just plays (a video diary on the making). This set also came with the movie which I already own (sold the extra copy). But the DVD did not come with the slipcover. I have my copy with slipcover inside, it fits perfectly.

When this set came out, FYE/Suncoast sold it for $21.99.

- - -

Lastly Wal-Mart had a weak exclusive for the motion picture. As with last week's PT, I don't know the price. I really tried, but Google and my archive failed me. So lets say it was less than twenty bucks. They sold it, side packed with a hat, a skull cap. It came inside a DVD size cardboard case (same thickness). I passed on this. And this set also didn't come with the slipcover.

Anyhow, now? I would like to have this exclusive (not to wear) to complete my collection. It's on my to do list. But not that high up.

- - - - - - - - - -

Man, it's been awhile since there's been a good vampire movie. The night crawlers were scary, not some sparkle wannabes; vampires. Plus the notion that these creatures are reality based, they don't transform into bats or fly or have capes. It avoided many of the tropes in the genre. These guys are the stuff of nightmares, not romance novels.

I enjoyed Melissa George as Stella Oleson. She fit the role. She's easy on the eyes, but not too pretty where it takes you out of the movie. Okay, "Whiteout" was a decent flick, but Kate Beckinsale was way too sexy to be a U.S. Marshal. Anyhow, I remember the first time I saw George. She played the murdered prostitute, May in "Dark City" (1998).

Left to right; director David Slade with actors Josh Hartnett, Mark Boone Junior and Melissa George. It may have taken years for me to get that FYE exclusive; it was worth it. It's too bad they don't make more like minded vampire films.

- - - - - - - - - -

I can not get into "Dracula" (1979), Frank Langella as the Count. While it may very well be authentic, the women in the film are so homely. I'm not talking about having HOT girls, no - more like Ms. George. Pretty, but not so out of place; like Emily Blunt in "The Wolfman" (2010) or Heather Graham in "From Hell" (2001). Am I being shallow and sexist? Yeah, probably. But had that happened I would've enjoyed that vampire flick more. Well that and actor Laurence Olivier (Prof. Abraham Van Helsing), he was so gravely ill making the feature and it shows. Every time he's on screen, it took me out. Man, he's dying, on death's door.

Anyhow, a good example of this is "Disturbia" (2007). The gal, Ashley Carlson (Sarah Roemer) is very pretty as the girl next door. She's doesn't feel out of place, nor so improbable as the would-be girlfriend/love interest. I like Megan Fox, but she's done films where her presence is so unlikely. True, there are hot girls who have common looking boyfriends, but those are as rare as the elusive fangirl.

- - - - - - - - - -

There was a sequel made. Released on October 5th, 2010, a direct to video, "30 Days Of Night: Dark Days" ($24.96) which took place a year after the slaughter at Barrow, Alaska. That cover is pretty crappy, like it was the preliminary art that somehow made it to final because someone was asleep or just lazy, 'good enough'.

Actress Kiele Sanchez took over the Stella Oleson role. While I would've liked George to reprise her character, I'm not disappointed with Sanchez. As I understand she wanted to come back to the role, but George had a scheduling conflict. Side note on Sanchez, I wish her former ABC series, "Married To The Kellys" would come to DVD. I liked that show (lasted one season).

Stella has moved to Los Angeles trying to get anybody to believe her claim that real vampires murdered her town folks, giving lectures. In one such lecture she exposes some vampires in the audience. But her reveal gets shot down by an FBI agent in league with the vamps. She then meets a group of hunters who tell her that the vampyre queen, Lilith is in town, ready to leave for Alaska. Together they go on the hunt to avenge their lost love ones.

The sequel was made for $3,000,000 (estimated) and is based on the comic book mini-series of the same name. Mia Kirshner plays Lilith; most remember Kirshner as 'Naked Mandy' from the first episode of the series "Twenty-Four" (2001). I know I do. Anyhow, "Dark Days" was a decent/okay flick, I own it. I'm fine with it. I did like that vampires were just as nasty as the first film.

There you have it.

Next PT goes splat on the 18th, better brings some towels.

Last edited by JohnIan; 01-26-2014 at 12:50 AM..