Thread: 2012 Debates
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by creekin111 View Post
I can understand the liberals being happy with Biden's feistiness, but I do think some people live in a message board bubble where they have come to not only accept over the top rudeness and spiteful aggression, but to prefer that way of communicating. It's fine on the internet, but in the real world, people don't like rude behavior and when they watch a debate, they like to, well, you know, hear what the debate participants are saying.
That right there has been the theory behind Obama's "polite" performance in the first debate. That real aggression, while preferred among the base, tends to turn off the still up-for-grabs voters. In fact, after that debate some polls stated that Obama's numbers among independent/swing voters went up a a couple points in his favor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekin111 View Post
I think Biden won the debate, but I'm willing to bet that the reason the polling is so close is because a lot of people were not so comfortable with Biden's behavior. You can be strong and assertive without being rude. IMHO.

If the aforementioned theory is to be taken as fact, then I think the goal behind Biden's aggression was to re-energize and shore up the base. Like Bourne said and Teddy Roosevelt will back up "The Vice-Presidency isn't worth a warm bucket of spit", so Biden can get away with far more than Obama can in a debate. Obama's performance has to be a lot more nuanced, which leaves a very large margin to err in.

I doubt we'll see anything like Biden's performance in next week's debate, but Obama definitely needs tear down every statement by Romney, instead of leaving that to Politifact... and they also need Martha Raddatz to moderate. Cause if you ask me who won the debates last night, it was her.