View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 10:15 PM
The Fly Mini-Marathon!

#13) The Fly (1958) (Oct 13)

"You're in an unscientific mood."

Never having seen the original The Fly and wanting to rewatch Cronenberg's version, I decided to make a mini-marathon out of it.

I was actually pretty surprised by this, it's more sophisticated than I had expected.

The movie is book-ended buy the murder investigation of Vincent Price's character's brother, Andre Delambre. Admitting to the murder, Andre's wife Helene tells the strange events that led to the grisly discovery of Andre's head and arm crushed in a hydraulic press.

The mystery of it is actually pretty interesting. I imagine it must have been pretty impressive if you managed to somehow get into the theater without knowing anything about it - which I'm sure was much easier to do back in 1958.

Unfortunately, the bulk of the story is told in the flashback to the experiment and death of Andre from the point of view of Helene - played by Patricia Owens who's performance simply does not hold up. While I thought the male cast was fine, Owens still has that classical acting style about her, often speaking much faster and LOUDER than necessary, looking around at nothing in particular or just plain hamming it up for the camera. It feels like a stage play performance shoved into a science fiction mystery. As the real lead character of the movie, it gets a little grating.

That acting!

And finally, I don't want to go into too much detail, but the final scene of the movie also leaves a poor taste and the stink of Studio involvement as they attempt to end it on a happy note - which just falls flat on its face.

#14) The Fly (1986) (Oct 14) (rewatch)

"Oh, are you serious? A monkey just came apart in there."

I don't think I need to go into any detail on this one. It's one of those movies I'd see all the time, piece by piece on TV. I don't know if I've ever actually sat down and watched it from start to finish though, so here we are.

Out of everything I've watched so far for this year's marathon, there's been some really good films, but this is the first I'd consider a true classic. I don't want to throw around the term "masterpiece", but this is damn close.

Man, did Jeff Goldblum kill it in this role. He gave the character of Seth Brundle so much life and personality that really elevates the movie above what it is. He's interesting as hell even before he steps into the pod.

Am I the only one that feels kind of bad for Stathis though? Sure, he was a complete piece of shit for 3/4th of the movie, but I feel he redeems himself by the end.

#15) The Fly II (1989) (Oct 15) (rewatch)

"I had no love for the man. He bugged me."

And then we have the sequel... I had originally seen this when it first hit cable back in the day, so I figured I'd give it another go.

There's not really much to say here. It's a totally unnecessary and forgettable sequel that drags along slowly, but I kind of respect it for trying to keep the plot advancing by continuing on with Seth Brundle's son, Martin. I'm glad they didn't just end up attempting to
Spoiler:
bring Seth back to life.

The practical and makeup effects are actually quite impressive as well. I'm not a huge fan of the design of the final fly creature's face (I wish it was closer to the Seth's fly form) but the various stages of Martin's mutation look great and there's some really gruesome kills in the final act of the movie. The
Spoiler:
face melt
is fucking incredible and it has one of my personal faves,
Spoiler:
a dude getting folded in half, backwards.
I never get tired of seeing that in movies.

The scene with
Spoiler:
Stathis,
is flat out awesome too. Wish it was longer.

Final Viewed List:

#01) The Cabin in the Woods (2012) (Oct 1)
#02) Piranha (1978) (Oct 2)
#03) Piranha DD (2012) (Oct 3)
#04) The Living Dead Girl (aka La morte vivante) (1982) (Oct 4)
#05) Anthropophagus: The Grim Reaper (1980) (Oct 5)
#06) Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988) (Oct 6) (rewatch)
#07) The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986) (Oct 7) (rewatch)
#08) The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning (2006) (Oct 8) (rewatch)
#09) Motel Hell (1980) (Oct 9)
#10) Deranged (1974) (Oct 10)
#11) The Burning (1981) (Oct 11)
#12) Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982) (Oct 12) (rewatch)
#13) The Fly (1958) (Oct 13)
#14) The Fly (1986) (Oct 14) (rewatch)
#15) The Fly II (1989) (Oct 15) (rewatch)

Last edited by ThirstyFly; 10-17-2012 at 10:28 PM..