View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012, 06:45 AM
The Historically Accurate Triple Feature!

#16) Nazis at the Center of the Earth (2012) (Oct 16)

"Some people say that this is the site of secret submarine bases. Some people say that this is the center of Nazi UFO research..."
"I'm sorry, how do you know all of this?"
"Hah, when you live in Antarctica for 10 years you hear things."

Ah, The Asylum. I'm sure everyone here is familiar with their cheap cash-in "mockbusters", but here's one of their fully original movies (as far as I can tell, anyway).

You should really know what you're getting into when you sit down to watch a movie by The Asylum. It's a micro-budget b-movie with god awful special effects, a bunch of nobody "actors" and one or two D-list celebrities thrown in so they have some names to put on the cover. This time we're treated to Jake Busey and a puffy looking Dominique Swain.

If you're in the mindset to watch a movie of this type, I think it's one of their better ones. The Asylum really reminds me of the early Troma (before they declined into an even lower budget studio focusing mostly on offending and grossing out their audience).

The story is completely absurd, filled with illogical events and over-the-top nonsense, but they take it pretty seriously. There's no winking at the camera (unless you count Busey's hammy performance) and they play it straight even when
Spoiler:
Hitler's re-animated head is walking around fish bowled onto a robot body.
And because of that I think it works. It's not the greatest movie in the world, or even the best Nazi zombie movie, but at least it managed to hold my attention for the runtime, unlike some of the other movies I've watched this marathon.

#17) Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies (2012) (Oct 17)

(To Theodore Roosevelt) "I'm sorry we don't have a spare weapon for you. Here, as you go, walk softly and carry *this* big stick."

And now we have one of the so-called "mockbusters" that The Asylum is known for, their tie-in to Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.

This was actually pretty entertaining. Like Nazis at the Center of the Earth, they play things straight and again it works in its favor. But unlike Nazis, this one never goes too over-the-top (aside from the premise of Honest Abe kickin' zombie ass).

Obviously, the story for this was effected by the budget and the real locations they could get so the set pieces never get too crazy and the story is fairly simple. The setting also allows them to keep the poor CG at a minimum. Mostly just the blood and some effects are CG, so we don't have to deal with Asylum's cheap CG backgrounds or CG characters.

I thought it was pretty clever they way they tied it into real history and included a few more historical figures. The guy playing Abe was pretty impressive too. Much better than you'd expect in a movie like this.

#18) Exit Humanity (2011) (Oct 19)

"I have become fury of death killing death. Blood drunk."

Following up on Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies, Exit Humanity is another low budget zombie epic taking place shortly after the American Civil War.

Exit Humanity differs in that it's a grounded, bleak movie about a man's survival and grief over losing his family to the zombie scourge. There's nothing silly or over-the-top here (with the exception of maybe Bill Moseley's performance).

The low budget is managed quite well with this one, and it never feels like their lack of money was holding it back. It's all shot on locations with a few practical sets there were built (and look fantastic). Zombie makeup starts out pretty basic as mostly just layers and layers of colours are slapped onto people, but as the film progresses and the zombies decay there's more prosthetic makeup added giving them a more professional look. There's even a couple of transition shots done in animated form which was a really smart and stylistic way of saving a few bucks.

I've seen this compared to Stake Land, but I haven't seen that yet. The tone of it really did remind me of The Road so fans of that may want to take a look. Highly recommended.

Final Viewed List:

#01) The Cabin in the Woods (2012) (Oct 1)
#02) Piranha (1978) (Oct 2)
#03) Piranha DD (2012) (Oct 3)
#04) The Living Dead Girl (aka La morte vivante) (1982) (Oct 4)
#05) Anthropophagus: The Grim Reaper (1980) (Oct 5)
#06) Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988) (Oct 6) (rewatch)
#07) The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986) (Oct 7) (rewatch)
#08) The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning (2006) (Oct 8) (rewatch)
#09) Motel Hell (1980) (Oct 9)
#10) Deranged (1974) (Oct 10)
#11) The Burning (1981) (Oct 11)
#12) Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982) (Oct 12) (rewatch)
#13) The Fly (1958) (Oct 13)
#14) The Fly (1986) (Oct 14) (rewatch)
#15) The Fly II (1989) (Oct 15) (rewatch)
#16) Nazis at the Center of the Earth (2012) (Oct 16)
#17) Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies (2012) (Oct 17)
#18) Exit Humanity (2011) (Oct 19)

Last edited by ThirstyFly; 10-21-2012 at 06:48 AM..