View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012, 08:57 AM
Alex Cross

Alex Cross is not as bad as some critics have stated ,but its no suspenseful masterpiece
either.It has always been hard for me to view Tyler Perry as a romantic lead but
Perry is okay as Dr Alex Cross who is able to define a crime scene in seconds
and i have always liked Edward Burns who portrays his partner Tommy Kane
their banter is one of the highlights of the film.
The villain Picasso who likes pain is interesting,Matthew Fox got into shape for the part
and adds odd wide eyed and facial tics to the character but even with all of this
Picasso is underwritten.
There are some good family moments with Cicely Tyson as Cross's grandmother, Nana Mama,
but other moments that are supposed to be emotional and moving fall flat due to some muted acting.
The early action sequences are fun,some unexpected turns in the script are good,but im not sure why
Director Rob Cohen decided to shoot a major fight scene so murky and shaky its as if it was shot
during a brownout and an earthquake.
There is a rumor that the next Alex Cross film is in pre production if so i hope the villain is more fleshed out
and the Director actually wants the audience to see the action sequences.

Scale of 1-10 a 7

End of Watch

Jake Gyllenhaal and Michael Peņa are equally outstanding as Los Angeles Police Department officers
who work in South Central Los Angeles in End of Watch
Gritty,moving,violent and humorous at times EOW is never boring and is as unpredictable as each crime
scene the duo enters.The good definitely outweighs the cliched and stereotypical moments in the film.
Great supporting work from David Harbour, Natalie Martinez, Anna Kendrick
and America Ferrera.
The leads should look for plenty of awards in a few months.

Scale of 1-10 a 9