Thread: Cloud Atlas
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
No doubt. Remember when Inception came out, you heard everyone and their dog say "cerebral, cerebral" - then you get something "cerebral" like Cloud Atlas and it becomes "pretentious" again. Fuck critics. I'm my own critic.
I loved Inception, but there is no doubt that it was a typical heist film, and everyone loves a good heist film.

James Cameron believes that for the mainstream audience to accept a film with crazy ideas, then that film must be structured off of a familiar & comfortable story. This is so the audience has something to latch onto. Cameron actually said this, and so far it seems to work.

Avatar had wild ideas, but Cameron grounded those ideas in the classic clash-of-culture story structure that has been around since before film. Inception had wild ideas, but it grounded those ideas in a classic heist film story structure. The Matrix had wild ideas, and it grounded those ideas in the age old "messiah" story structure.

Cloud Atlas has very wild ideas, but it doesn't seem to follow any established & comfortable story structure. I'm sure the stories within this movie follow certain structures, but I don't know what they are.

I don't know what Cloud Atlas is. All I know are the ideas of the movie, but I don't know what the story is. I know that it deals with reincarnation, and that it is a series of stories connected somehow. For most people (the mainstream), crazy ideas without a story to latch onto comes off as weird.

When weird is hyped being "cerebral", then the knee jerk reaction is to view it as being pretentious.

Honestly, if it wasn't for the wonderful 5 minute trailer, I would not see this movie. Sadly, the only people who have seen this trailer are film/internet buffs, not really the mainstream.

Last edited by Silverload; 10-24-2012 at 10:37 AM..