View Single Post
Old 10-27-2012, 09:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirstyFly View Post

I do enjoy going though entire series, good and bad though just to see how they evolve/devolve. I went though all of the Halloween movies earlier this year having only seen a few of them before hand and had a good time of it, even if some were... not so great.

That's really interesting, thanks for that. I must admit, I like the idea of the movies not really being about Pinhead and him actually being a sub character, so who knows what I'll end up thinking about them. Too bad they didn't put more care into them though. I don't know if you guys listen to the Arrow in the Head podcast too, but they discussed Inferno a few weeks ago they weren't too impressed with it, but I thought it sounded pretty cool.
I have just finished an entire series of my own, the seven original "Children of the Corn" films. Had only previously see the first three.

Day 27 . . .

28) Children of the Corn VII: Revelation (2001) - This series has been the only thing wearing me out during this Halloween marathon. And thankfully, this is the last movie in the series. In this one, a woman shows up at an apartment building in that cursed farming community to look for her grandmother...and so on. Like Part V and 666, it is a tick above average and nothing more. Another hollow vehicle to murder adults in unique and horrible fashions. It has its moments but remains unremarkable. The guest star to who needed to pay the mortgage this time is Michael Ironside. For all the effort involved in this series, Parts II and III are the best. They are stupid fun and make up for the subpar original. The four remaining chapters to follow are overkill.

Now for the official roll call:

Children of the Corn (1984) - *1/2 out of 4
Children of the Corn II: The Final Sacrifice (1992) - **1/2
Children of the Corn III: Urban Harvest (1995) - **1/2
Children of the Corn IV: The Gathering (1996) - **
Children of the Corn V: Fields of Terror (1998) - **1/4
Children of the Corn 666: Isaac's Return (1999) - **1/4
Children of the Corn VI: Revelation (2001) - **1/4

What started off poorly and was redeemed, only kept going on and on and on when it didn't know when to stop. Every time one of these movies is viewed, and the "Based on 'Children of The Corn' by Stephen King" credit appears, a single tear must materialze out of King's eye and he sighs to himself, "Another victim...I am so sorry for contributing to the madness." For this victim, the terror has finally passed and things can only get better from this point on.

Now, viewing all the "Halloween" movies earlier in the year...that must have been something. And some of them for the first time. It starts off well and keeps going up and down like a rollercoaster. Michael Myers had some highs, than a low to slow him down, a high again allowing to start over and then another low...and repeat. He looked good and put on an admirable performance by "Halloween: Resurrection," but his presence is the best thing about it.

Of the bunch, "Halloween III: Season of the Witch" stands out for obvious reasons. It was a much too quiet attempt by John Carpenter to make "Halloween" an anthology series. Either nobody picked up on what he was trying to do or cared. It might stand out, because it is a subpar retread of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers' ideas (as Leonard Maltin noted and gave a BOMB/* rating), or others might feel the John Carpenter vibe in it. I did pick up that vibe and enjoy it for what it is. It has different ideas of its own, even if they apparently borrow from "Invasion of the Body Snatchers," and delivers.

And the "Hellraiser" series. With two of you covering those films, why not share the information. I just finished reading Doug Bradley's book and it is extremely worth reading. To meet the man himself at a convention two months ago, get a copy of his book - Behind the Mask of the Horror Actor - and attend a great Q & A where he and other Cenobite actors spoke about their experiences...is a great way to go out in 2012 before the new year. And then there's reading the book, which reveals another side to him and the plays he participated in with Clive Barker long before "Hellraiser" came along. That and learning about how all the horror actors suffered for their art. From the convention and the book, Bradley is just as funny in real life as he is dark and evil in the "Hellraiser" films.

This leaves four more days and three more movies. It doesn't seem so challenging, yet I have Frankenstorm to contend with. The storm is supposed to arrive here by Monday, so three more movies can be done before you-know-what possibly hits the fan. Can still cover one more movie from my Video Store and make it seven movies within the month.

Last edited by Duke Nukem; 11-04-2012 at 07:08 PM..