View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 03:13 PM

#27) An American Werewolf in London (1981) (Oct 27) (rewatch)

"That's right. A lovely stroll on the moors. Tra-la-la-la. Isn't this fun?"

I hadn't planned on rewatching this because I had too many rewatches this year as it is, but I've had my eye on the Blu-ray for a while and this marathon pushed me over the edge.

Back when I was really young, my father and older sister used to like to rent horror movies in the early VHS days and they'd let me watch them too. There's few I remember, but I do know there were some that scared the crap out of me. An American Werewolf in London is the one I have the most vivid memory of. I would have been around 4 when I had seen this and I remember the first werewolf attack on the moors made me flip the fuck out. I couldn't watch the rest of the movie.

I guess I kind of forgot about it because I didn't get around to seeing it again until I was in my 20s when I had wanted to see what scared me so much as a kid and to finally sit down and watch the rest of the movie. I enjoyed it then but I think I enjoy it even more now. I probably went into it then expecting something really scary because of my history with it (and that first attack is pretty brutal) so I don't think the humor of it worked as well on me then as it did now. Great movie and a true classic in the genre.

Now if I could just figure out what the other movie that scared my shitless back then was... all I remember was slugs or something coming out of a toilet and maybe dripping down for a wooden beam in a ceiling. Also someone being attacked in the back of an ambulance, but that's probably a different movie (and I suspect is me just misremembering C.H.U.D.).