View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Nukem View Post
26) Wrong Turn 5: Bloodlines (2012) - This straight-to-video effort is a blast and doesn't disappoint. It is nuts. The fifth entry centers on that West Virginia town "celebrating" its disturbing history with backwoods mountain men, by holding a Halloween festival in which to dress up as the deformed monsters. Really? Seriously? Doug Bradley plays a normal backwoods killer who watches over the three mountain men.
Glad to hear that turned out good. I just picked up the Blu-ray set of the original 3 on sale for a great price (haven't seen any of them) but I'll probably save it for next year's marathon. Hopefully #5 will be cheap by then too, I think you can already get #4 for $10 on BD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Nukem View Post
Now, viewing all the "Halloween" movies earlier in the year...that must have been something. And some of them for the first time. It starts off well and keeps going up and down like a rollercoaster. Michael Myers had some highs, than a low to slow him down, a high again allowing to start over and then another low...and repeat. He looked good and put on an admirable performance by "Halloween: Resurrection," but his presence is the best thing about it.

Of the bunch, "Halloween III: Season of the Witch" stands out for obvious reasons. It was a much too quiet attempt by John Carpenter to make "Halloween" an anthology series. Either nobody picked up on what he was trying to do or cared. It might stand out, because it is a subpar retread of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers' ideas (as Leonard Maltin noted and gave a BOMB/* rating), or others might feel the John Carpenter vibe in it. I did pick up that vibe and enjoy it for what it is. It has different ideas of its own, even if they apparently borrow from "Invasion of the Body Snatchers," and delivers.
I think when I did the whole series earlier this year I had only previously seen H1, H2, H3 and Resurrection (and the Rob Zombie films) so all the middle movies were new to me. I skipped rewatching H1 and H3 then because I had just rewatched H1 a few months earlier for that year's 31 Days marathon and skipped H3 because I just wanted to see where they went with Mikey. I couldn't bring myself to rewatch the Rob Zombie movies either because I hate them.

With the new Blu-ray releases of H2, 3, 4 and 5 this year though I completed my collection and now have them all on BD (even Rob Zombies...), so I rewatched 2-5 again.

Out of the originals, I kind of like them all, with the exception of 5 and 6. Resurrection gets a lot of shit but I get a guilty pleasure kick out of it. 2 is good and H20 is a great "reboot" of the sequels.

H3 is the real gem though. I wish they had kept the idea of doing a new Halloween themed movie each time, but they kinda ruined that from the start with H2.

Last edited by ThirstyFly; 10-28-2012 at 02:31 PM..