View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
I am really looking forward to seeing this. When I first saw the trailer I had exactly the "This is fucking strange" sentiment, but the more I hear about it, the more I see the 'point' behind it, which just gets me fucking more excited about seeing this. I love how this subject matter is tackled.
It really is something, my appreciation of it has grown more and more since watching it. Tim Heidecker easily gives one of the best performances of the year.

Starlet - 7.5/10

I wasn't sure about what to expect from this since all I knew was that it had a small, vocal following from critics. Turns out it's a terrific little movie that follows a 21 year old and an octogenarian becoming friends. I won't go into too many details since part of the fun is watching the story play out (and one of the movie's larger themes is how it's impossible to judge others) but the two leads are fantastic, the cinematography elevates this by a ton (seriously, this movie's gorgeous) and it's a really funny script. My only issue was how cliched the story got by the end but this is definitely worth seeking out.

Tuesday, After Christmas - 6.5/10

My problem with Romanian cinema is that it's so transparent. This movie, about a married man cheating on his wife with his daughter's dentist, plays out in the usual style associated with Romanian films over the last few years. There's one point early on where the wife shows up unexpectedly to join her husband at the dentist's, and we're treated to a 10 minute scene where all three are together in the same room. Will their affair be exposed? The answer is of course not, this is a god damn Romanian film so you know nothing will happen. The first hour is mostly made up of these boring yet watchable/well-made scenes. Once the affair finally gets exposed things take a turn for the better with an amazing sequence. The final third slightly redeems this from becoming something like Police, Adjective but one great scene still doesn't make a great movie.