View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 07:21 PM
Safe House

A prime example of a great premise by way of standard execution. Denzel Washington basically plays the Russell Crowe role in a version of 3:10 to Yuma that collided with a Bourne-style spy thriller along the way. The action sequences are entertaining and aren’t overencumbered with shaky-cam hysterics that most directors find a way to fuck them up with, reminding me of Tony Scott’s Man on Fire without the ridiculous excess of style. If you wanted to even call it that. But I found the most interesting scenes to be – surprise surprise – between Denzel and Ryan Reynolds as Denzel’s rogue fugitive plays mind games with the rookie. You’ve seen him do it before to Ethan Hawke in Training Day, but that shit never gets old, trust me. When will these lily white boyscouts learn? Denzel owns them. Period. Anyway, I had a good time. Not a particularly memorable one, but the fight scene with Reynolds and neo-RoboCop Joel Kinnaman rivals some of the best hand to hand combat in the Bourne series. Brutal, creative, effective.

-> 6/10