View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 12:02 AM
I'm all for their wages going up, as long as mine, as their manager, does as well. I spent 7 years working at that entry-level, put myself through school and now I'm in retail management working on a Master's. I was there, I understand their gripe, it does suck. But the work is unskilled and by that I mean you can absolutely train the general population to do the job in a relatively cheap way to be efficient.

But just because they're the "grunts" doesn't mean they're doing any more work than anyone else.

The beauty of America is that you absolutely get out what you put in. Yes, people can hit hard times and have to struggle. I've seen it. Businesses going under, marriages falling apart. I've seen, in my family, the worst of it. But they put in their time and they built themselves back up. It takes short-term sacrifice. Long-term, sometimes. But it is possible. It is completely on the individual.

BTW, that working poor argument is shit. I live in Mon. County, West Virginia. One of the poorest, most economically depressed states. I manage retail level mall location storefronts, and our mall workers are only part-time. All I do, on a daily basis, is interview the "working poor." And, unfortunately, 90% have put themselves in that position. I was shocked at how little of them had HS degrees. There are very few legitimate reasons that a person can't at least finish HS. They fall into the "working poor" mentality, you can see it in their faces, and that sucks, but there is no sympathy from me.

I would be extremely confident saying that the MAJORITY working poor, is also a very similar demographic in rural, economically depressed areas.