View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 04:38 PM
The more I think about it, the more I realize that I was really bothered by the fact that this film seems to be a hate letter to the current state of America and capitalism. I don't know why it irks me to such a degree, I've never been a hardcore patriot, although I do like and appreciate my country. I guess what really sucks is that there are thousands of hardworking and fair minded people in this country, yet it seems the image being presented to other countries of the world is that America is just a business.

This film is content to blanket everyone's motivations in the US under one primary motive: greed. While there is certainly a great deal of that going on, (I'm looking at you Wal-mart) it doesn't sum up America, or capitalism for that matter.

What's kind of funny about a lot of movie-goers out there is how eager they are to have a film wrap up a really broad and complex issue in a neat little bow, and how quickly they accept it as truth. Take Fight Club for example. Many people still hold the messages and themes of that film as gospel, when in reality it's just a fucking movie. It may have had a good point or two here and there, but just because you may like to buy items from a shopping catalog or purchase coffee from a big coffee franchise doesn't make you a sheep.