Thread: Les Miserables
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 07:20 PM
Yeah I wasn't impressed with this either. Crowe looks very uncomfortable in the role and that pisses me off because I love the guy and his work and in most of his movies, he's the standout. Not so here.

Hathaway's "I Dreamed a Dream" is truly remarkable, she deserves the Oscar she's gonna get. Jackman overdoes the singing in more than a few scenes but he pours every inch of himself into the role and that's very commendable. Carter and Cohen completely steal the film from everyone else though, their "Master of the House" would probably fall into a top ten scene of the year list. Fantastic stuff.

Other than that, didn't like half of the songs, the close ups were overdone and not always effective, narrative was jumping from plot to plot too quickly and I really don't think the "live singing" approach helped too much (in case of Crowe, definitely not). Redmayne's got a great voice but he is a horrendous actor and he has the charisma of a lampost. Just can't believe that two girls fall madly in love with him.

Ups and downs overall, didn't regret it but it gets gobbled up by way better films this year to stand out in any real way, a couple of great scenes notwithstanding.

**1/2 out of *****