View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 03:55 AM
Past Tense

The world didn't end? Sway. The first PT of 2013 gets us apes dirt level - fighting interstellar bugs in "Starship Troopers 3"...

"Starship Troopers 3: Marauder" was released on home video on August 5th, 2008.

It streeted against "Rogue: Unrated", "Star Trek: Enterprise - The Complete Second Season" and "Lonesome Dove: 2 Disc Collector's Edition".

The basic edition originally came with a cardboard foil slipcover which mirrored the case's wraparound. The only insert was the instructions for the digital copy.

- - -

There were several exclusives. Lets address this alphabetically...

FYE/Suncoast offered an exclusive steelbook case for the film. This is fuzzy info, but it appears that it sold for $26.99. I'm not 100% certain if that was the release day price. It's the best I could do.

Target had two exclusives mixed into one. First they gave the DVD a lenticular slipcover that was different from the wraparound. Inside was the second exclusive; "Mobile Infantry Field Manual", a three page fold-out booklet. This set sold for $16.99. I remember not knowing about it until days later. I went to my local store, hoping they would still have one in stock. Yes. Yes, they did. I sold my extra copy on Ebay (minus the booklet and slipcover).

Wal-Mart had an exclusive bonus disc (in its own case), side packed the regular DVD. This set sold for $19.98. Sorry, no menu screen, the single featurette, "On The Bounce: The Making Of Starship Troopers" just plays. It has a run time of 24:11 minutes. This is where I first bought my copy.

- - - - - - - - - -

Footnotes.

There was another exclusive, but not solely for "Marauder". It was for the three movie compendium, also released that same date.

Best Buy had a eight inch limited edition Marauder figurine (unit #04) with "Starship Troopers Trilogy" DVD; entitled "The Ultimate Starship Troopers Collector's Set". This set sold for $39.99 (if you just wanted the three disc set, only - $29.99). I didn't have the money at the time, otherwise I would've gotten this too. I don't have much regret; where would I put this? The box was huge.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

I really like this flick. This installment was the closest to the tone of the first movie. I've been reading reviews from folks who were bothered by the ideas this chapter gave.

* The framing of anti-war protesters on conspiracy charges (capital crime) - to be hanged.
* The co-opt of religion by the Federation.

Lethal pout.

I'm puzzled by some who didn't get the first movie. We were NOT the good guys. In fact the world government was deceiving us into going to war. Keep the masses frightened and angry, give them a common enemy; this runs the wheels of power.

The bugs are ruthless, true, but we started the war with them. This one world government is an empire. And as all empires do - they expand. We expanded to bug territory and thought we could kill these primitives and take their resources. They fought back.

In the first film we had a major disaster with a meteor which impacted Buenos Aires, it nearly totaled the metropolis. This act was the tipping point, a declaration of war was announced. The thing is how? How could the bugs have sent that rock to Earth? They have no FTL (Faster Than Light) carriers. In fact they spread by sending their seeds into space. They might land on a moon or a planet - new colony. Yes some could fly into space, but no faster than a jet engine. If they had sent that rock to us, it would've taken thousands of years to arrive - long before we ever had the ability of basic flight, before we first ventured into space itself. That rock could not go faster than they can throw/spew out.

The government told us the bugs sent it, they lied. We see that this world has an over population problem. This was a way to kill two birds with one stone; help them to eliminate a threat to their expansion and thin the herd at the same time. Why is this concept hard to understand?

You are a second class person without Citizenship; very little rights. By serving in the military, if you survive, you have rights. It's a militaristic state depicted here, not a happy world.

The other would be a power play. This new war could be used to justify taking away/reducing civil liberties; more fuel to keep the empire running. It's never about the individual rights, just the collective. That being the nice word for The Elite. As the old saying goes... 'it's good to own land'.

Lets get this clear - the film series is satire. I remember when the first movie came out, reading how some didn't see it any further than a sci-fi action piece. Really? Dude, that's disturbing. The military leaders were dressed like Nazis. Filmmakers made a parody of war and politics. C'mon, the protester here they were going to hang in the wheelchair... right - they built a ramp for his chair.

This reminds me of "Team America: World Police" (2004). There were viewers who didn't see anything wrong with what happened on screen (minus the puppet sex and puppet vomit). Did they not understand this was satire? It wasn't a patriotic motion picture - at all. WTF? *sigh*

Quote:
Across the federation, federation experts agree that: A: God exists, B: He's on our side, C: He wants us to win.
I like how the film (number three) ended with a public announcement that we have a new weapon against the bugs. It left it rather open ended as to what they meant; the Marauders or government sanctioned religion. As for the folks who are saying its anti-Christian, they never said what religion they followed.

Would You Like To Know More?

Right now you can find "Starship Troopers 3: Marauder" with its slipcover at Big Lots! for three bucks. Well, most have it in stock.

- - - - - - - - - -

Just Because.

Is it just me or does Jolene Blalock has a Raquel Welch vibe going on here? The image feels like an homage to "One Million Years B.C." (1966). I don't think I'm imagining it.

- - -

The dead continue to move among us - another installment of my "Night Of The Living Dead DVD Retrospective" is up now give it a click.

Since this is one of the larger months (there are five weeks here). There will be two more PTs for January. There you go. The next will hit the web on the morning of January 17th. *nods*

Last edited by JohnIan; 09-10-2013 at 04:24 AM..