Thread: The Master
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 12:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustysyringe View Post
Sure, he was disappointed his first love was gone. Who wouldn't be? But honestly, what ever gave you the impression Freddie could make any relationship work long term? I got the impression that had Doris been there, had they got together, he would have grown restless with that as well. He is wild at heart, he will never tame, that's who he is.
I never said I felt Freddie could actually make a relationship work, but he clearly desires one. He sough out Dorris not for sex, but because he wanted to be with her again and is sad that she moved on.

Quote:
I think the only reason Freddie may want someone or something in his life is because society says he should want it. I do not think that Freddie really wants to settle down at all. It is not his nature, not who he is. If you notice he is happiest drinking his hooch and picking up strange women.
I think Freddie desires connection with other people. The fact that he holds on to his memory of Dorris and the fact that he stays with the Cause for as long as he does is proof of this. But his nature makes it hard for him to do this. Dodd tries to tame him, but at the end of the day does Dodd fail because Freddy doesn't want to be tamed or simply because his methods are BS? Either way, even if Freddie decides he wants to serve no Master that doesn't mean he doesn't want to change or doesn't want to be around others because I think he truly does. After all he genuinely does try to stay with the Cause. I think Freddie's character, like the rest of the script is underwritten. I think PTA leaves a little too much to the viewer in terms of why Freddie is the way he is and why he makes the choices he makes. Theres being subtle and then theres just underwriting.

Quote:
Spoiler:
Like at the very end, when he picks up the blonde in the bar and they are in bed. He is once again happy and laughing.

That is who he is at his core, a skirt chasing vagabond. You see, had Doris been there still, had they got together, it wouldn't have worked. He would have slept with another woman, drank too much hooch, or just taken off in the middle of the night without saying a word. Actually, probably a combination of all three.

Freddie went out of his way to seek Doris out which means at the very least he was going to attempt a relationship with her.