Thread: Marriage
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 09:14 AM
Currently single, never been married. I would like to get married someday, though.

My only worry is if it doesn't work out for me. I've seen many friends and families broken up over a lot of divorces. I don't want that happening to me. Plus, I'm also fiscally conservative, and those weddings and divorces are never cheap. So if I'm going to get married, I'm gonna stay married. Screw getting a lawyer and getting a divorce. If I were to separate, I'd go for an annulment instead. Last note on myself: if she won't sign a prenuptial agreement, then I'm not moving forward.

As far as marriage is concerned, when you consider the cost, I think that marriage is one of the biggest gambles you'll ever take in life. You're not only giving up half of everything that you have ever built in your life on your own up to now, but also half of everything that you'll ever earn for the rest of your life. I don't know about you guys, but if I'm to commit to one thing, much less a person, and for the rest of my life, I would find it highly advisable to try a few samples before buying the whole thing. It's one of the few times I'm thankful to live in today's time, where most traditional dating/relationship practices are on the decline.

...and here's where my beef with the Catholic Church (and any other religion that does a similar thing) comes in: as far as I know, growing up Catholic, they teach that the act of having sex for the first time is of the utmost importance...even moreso than getting married. Now I don't know about you guys, but I see something wrong there: to tell young people that in order to have sex and not have it be a sin in the eyes of God, then the price of admission is to abstain from all sexual activity (even masturbating) and then be in a fully committed, lifetime relationship with this person beforehand? Gimme a break.