View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
Seven Samurai - I always hold this off because of its length.
I'm typically the same way with very long movies, but Seven Samurai is in my top 10. I don't want to build it up too much for you, but I will say that, in my opinion, it does not feel as long as it is. It's briskly paced considering its epic length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUENTIN View Post
Werckmeister Harmonies
Satantango

Spirit of The Beehive
The works of Apichatpong Weerasethakul
I haven't seen any Bela Tarr films either. Since I just got through explaining that Seven Samurai is long but doesn't *feel* long, I can counter that by saying that the reason I haven't gotten around to Tarr's films is because I've heard from numerous sources that they do indeed feel as long as they are. That doesn't mean I won't like them, but I feel like I really need to find an afternoon to devote to seeing Satantango when I know I'll be in the right frame of mind to sit through it.

About the other two I quoted from you, though, I'm pretty sure you'd love The Spirit of the Beehive based on what I've gathered about your taste, and I actually just got around to seeing Tropical Malady the other day. It's not the type of film that I can say for sure if anyone will like it, since it's really a one-of-a-kind type of movie. I personally loved it, but it's one of those movies you really need to judge for yourself. I'd strongly recommend it, though, even if only to say that you've seen it.

Aside from the aforementioned fact that I haven't seen any Bela Tarr movies, here are some films ranked high on the recently updated "They Shoot Pictures, Don't They?" top 1,000 films of all time list that I haven't seen:

Sunrise
L'Atalante
Andrei Rublev

The Apu Trilogy
Pierrot le Fou (I've seen a lot of other Godard movies, and while I admire him more than I actually like him, I still feel compelled to see this)
Shoah
The films of Roberto Rossellini
Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles
The Mother and the Whore
Los Olvidados
(a film I REALLY want to see since Bunuel is my favorite director, but I haven't been able to find a good copy anywhere)
The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (I actually just recorded this on my DVR the other day)
Beau Travail