View Single Post
Old 08-08-2001, 08:00 PM
Don't be so hasty in scratching THE EVIL DEAD of you movies to buy, Antonio...

I kinda feel obligated to redress the balance here, in favour of the aforementioned classic - and I don't use that term lightly. For a start, what's one of the most important things to consider when viewing a horror movie? Other than 'is it scary', it's gotta be the actual mood of the flick, right? - And trust me when I say this, you can almost taste it in this instance! (The second one's got it, but nowhere near as thick as the original...) It's conveyed to the extent, you could almost be a spectator to the events first hand. Then there's the simple, but absolutely spot-on storyline - group of teenagers head into the woods for a few days, shack up in dodgy looking log-cabin--where they discover a reel-to-reel tape recorder and inadvertently unleash ancient demons to roam the earth via incantations from a voice on the tape..... It might sound tiresome now, but I'm sure it was highly inventive back then. Throw in some cracking sound effects, unorthodox camera techniques, killer make-up, appropriate laughs/scares, a smoke machine and the making of a legend... Anyway, I'm blabbing...

Here are some shockers:

MARDI GRAS MASSACRE
THE LAST BROADCAST
BLOOD RITES
DELIRIUM
FROZEN SCREAM
THE WISHMASTER
MADHOUSE
REVENGE OF THE BOGEYMAN
UNHINGED
SEWAGE BABY
THE NOSTRIL PICKER