Old 08-09-2006, 10:13 AM
Madonna

How the sweet merciful christ am I the first to come up with a thread for Madonna? A woman whose image has about the same recognition level as that of Jesus and Homer Simpson. Anyway.

Born on August 16th 1958 (dear God she's 48 next week) Madonna has been famous since the 1983 release of her eponymous debut album but it was her second; Like A Virgin which, the following year, made her one of the most famous women on the planet. For 22 years she has sustained that status and hit only the occasional bump in the road (the literal overexposure of the Sex book turned many off and, sadly, led to the excellent Erotica being overlooked). Last year, her twenty second in the business, she released Confessions On A Dancefloor; her twelth album not counting compilations which was recieved as a return to form and was her best since Ray of Light in 1998.

Movies, however, have been more of a challenge than music. Madonna actually made her film debut before her musical debut in Stephen Jon Lewicki's A Certain Sacrifice. ACS is terrible, it would be a contender for worst film of all time if, that is, one could really consider it a film. Shot on Super 8 it's toatally incoherent and horribly pretentious. Madonna's performance is the best thing in it as at least she has some star quality.
Desperately Seeking Susan allowed her to, largely, play herself and was a hit. What came afterwards was a series of disasters which made her acting forays a prennial critical punching bag.
Occasionally though she produces the goods. A decent turn in A League of Their Own is often forgotten Evita led to serious talk of an Oscar nomination and she's also fine in Dick Tracy playing a Marylin Monroe inspired gangsters mol. But there's a litany of turkeys as well. Most notable (that I've seen) are feeble Basic Instinct knock off Body of Evidence and the singularly painful Swept Away.

She can be annoying (as in pretentious documentary I'm Going To Tell You A Secret) and she's fallen horribly on her face as an actress many a time but I'm still a fan. Her music is still her main focus and it still sounds great. Few, if any, have survived as long at the top of the pop music tree and that alone has to be admired.

It's a YAY from me, though that's mainly to do with the music.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:30 AM
I would have to saaaaay YAY for the woman.
I grew up with her.

HOLIDAY anyone?

HER music stylings has changed thru the years. I remeber when at least 90% of what she puts out albumwise is DAMN GOOD. Now its 3/4's or HALF.....
As for the movies, YAY ON "Desperately Seeking Susan" & "A League Of Their Own"..... Others were mere passing and others were like WHAT DA HELL?!?!? The remake of SWEPT AWAY was HORRIDS. It ranks down there with SHANGHAI SUPRISE! It's A BOMB! At least on the DVD of SWEPT AWAY there is an amusing interview MADONNA is talking and giggling throughout the segment talking with hubby GUY RITCHIE asking WHERE did WE go WRONG with this movie.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:49 PM
I'm sorry to say this as so many despise her but I have always loved her growing up since my parents are huge fans of her music so I eventually became one as well. I think she is a good singer and has had one hell of a controversial career.

I also have to say that from her younger years until now, I still find her downright sexy but that's because I have an attraction for older women as well. I'm only 19 and I'd be with Madonna in a second if I had a chance even though she has grown a little weird.

So I would give her a yay!

On the negative side, she has destroyed Guy Ritchie's directing abilities!
Old 08-09-2006, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ElderPredator
IOn the negative side, she has destroyed Guy Ritchie's directing abilities!
With respect; bollocks. First of all, how? By osmosis? and secondly Swept Away would have been utter horseshit with Julianne Moore just as it was with Madonna. You can't make something good with a screenplay as monumentally stinky as that. Plus Ritchies first two films are (IMO) spectacularly overrated anyway.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by SAI
With respect; bollocks. First of all, how? By osmosis? and secondly Swept Away would have been utter horseshit with Julianne Moore just as it was with Madonna. You can't make something good with a screenplay as monumentally stinky as that. Plus Ritchies first two films are (IMO) spectacularly overrated anyway.
I say that because it was Madonna that convinced him to make those movies even when he didn't like them to begin with. He always listens to her and never knows when to say no. With your last comment, I'm not even going to start since you're entitled to your own opinon. (his first two movies rock! )
Old 08-10-2006, 10:03 AM
NAY - She's a cunt.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:06 AM
for her music which i generally do like YAY
but as a person NAY
Old 08-10-2006, 12:38 PM
NAY - I've never been a fan of her music or her movies. I can stand listening to some of her tunes, but nothing recent. And the only movie I liked her in was A League of Their Own, and she played a supporting role - and I'm using the word "played" loosely, since I don't think it was that much of a stretch for her.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by KillerKlown
NAY - She's a cunt.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:39 PM
I can't deny that I dig her music, she is, well, I feel, quite independant and she doesn't exactly fit the constraints of most musicians. She knows how to take care of herself too, if I could wear a leotard like that in her "Hung Up" video, I'd count myself lucky.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:08 AM
I don't like her, as in her celebrity status. Always having to be on the news.

But I dig her music. A lot. her latest album is fucking addicting.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Tagia_Romero
if I could wear a leotard like that in her "Hung Up" video, I'd count myself lucky.

If you could you should wear it all the time.

Forever.

Oh and
person nay
music yay
Old 08-24-2006, 02:18 PM
As a person she is probably a major bitch,

But I grew up with her. I was like 8 years old when she had her break-through. And she has done a pretty huge amount of great pop music over the years. I also think that despite all of her flaws, she has been a great example for a lot of women: A woman who has made her own rules and has succeeded greatly in life.

I personally know a lot of women who have named Madonna as one person who made them believe that they could succeed in their careers , that they wouldn't need to be "nice girls" and try to please everyone. Instead they could take control of their lives themselves. I'm talking about women who were born in the late 70's and grew up with Madonna. For the younger members of the board Madonna's influence and example on the whole female empowerment movement might seem like distant history.

Yay.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:33 PM
Nay. I never liked her and never will. Her music isn't my style, to be fair, but her voice bothers me too. He singing is downright annoying. And as a person, I'll agree with those who would label her as a cunt. She earned that title.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:27 PM
person nay (save her late 90's period)
music - Most of my favorites of hers are her ballads like Live To Tell,Cherish,This Used To Be My Playground,Rain, and Frozen the latter of which is my favorite. Ray of Light and Express Yourself are my favorite dance songs of hers.
movies - Only Desperately Seeking Susan and A League of Their Own are ones that she doesn't suck in that much.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:52 PM
music,from the begining to early 90's-YAY
movies, Desperatly Seeking Susan and League of Their Own-YAY
as a person-YAY, only beacause she is a good example of a survivor and I only hope I can look that good when I'm here age! I also think she's lucky- I happen to love Guy Ritchie, I don't care what anyone says about him or his movies.