Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Video Games
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2006, 02:31 PM
Schmoes Choice for Game of the Year 2006

WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2007 [XBOX 360]

Now get the guns, the drugs
For my generation
I'll take the fall
The saint
Across the nation
Yeah, It’s the sex, the god, the fake’s, the fraud
They're mess you with me
Come on, come on, come on
Let’s get it on

Move to my music
Play the F***in music
Move it mythe music yeah
(Let get it on)
Move to my music
Play the F***in music
Move it to my music yeah

Forget the lights
The money
We’re in this together
In through it all
they said thst Nothings for ever
and They refuse to see
they change in me
Why won’t they wake up?
Come on, come on, come on
Let’s get it on...

For the longest time this year, my vote was going to go to DEAD RISING for the 360. I was very skeptical about a new
wrestling game, because IMHO there hasn't been a great one since WWF NO MERCY for the ol' N64. Needless to say, I think this game is even better than that classic. When I found myself playing it for 3-5 hours every day for nearly a month, I knew it was a winner. When I rented GEARS OF WAR and played maybe 20 minutes of that before going back to this, it was a no brainer. When I have THE best time I've ever had on Xbox Live and I also buying a couple of copies for some buddies so we could all game together online, it's a pretty easy decision for me. The graphics. The roster. The matches. The awesomeness of it all.

As far as your votes go, you can either pick a favorite for each system or just pick an overall winner.

Last edited by Joe Scorpio; 11-10-2011 at 08:45 PM..
Old 12-10-2006, 02:55 PM
My vote goes to FFXII. Not an overwhelmingly great game but good enough. I have to say that if I had a Wii, my vote would most likely go to Twilight Princess but I honestly can't say since i've only played the demo.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:00 PM
Very tough.

I'll have to say that, right now, either Okami or Xenosaga Episode III: Thus Spracht Zarathustra. Both were amazing games.

I'm going to wait until I finish Final Fantasy XII and The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess before passing any of these as a favorite of the year.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:19 PM
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess is my choice. The game is pure genius.

Old 12-10-2006, 03:58 PM
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, with Gothic 3 being a close second, because it's been so long since I've seen a good true RPG.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:00 PM
Old 12-10-2006, 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by zombievictim
Ditto!!!
Old 12-10-2006, 05:38 PM
I'll go with FFXII, just ahead of Kindgom Hearts II and Okami. I also really loved Marvel: Ultimate Alliance and Splinter Cell Double Agent. Bully needs to be acknowledged because of it's uniqueness as well

I'm just getting into Twilight Princess so I won't comment on that yet (finals are making it very difficult). I also don't own Gears of War, but I've played enough of it to know it's incredible, just not enough to say it's the best game of the year.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:34 PM
I have to say oblivion, Easily.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:43 PM
Gears of War
Old 12-10-2006, 09:44 PM
Sadly I only bought 4 games this year and none of them are worth mentioning.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Danger^Cart
Gears of War
I'm in love with this game...as soon as I buy Rainbow Six: Las Vegas ill no for sure. Ive heard Las Vegas is the best so I'm gonna wait and see.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:34 PM
oh god...

can't choose.

i absolutely loved Zelda, FFXII, and Shadows of the Colossus. but i'm torn...

this year was a great year for videogames, so great, in fact, that i bring myself to choose which one of them stands as the number one title of 06'.

but if i HAD to choose, if my life DEPENDED on it, i'd have to go with ZELDA.

damn you for making me choose. fucking ass-hole.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:04 PM
why do we need to have a discussion about this?

SNEAK KING

but back in the real world:

GEARS OF WAR

hands fuckin' down
Old 12-11-2006, 11:38 AM
I would say gears, but you have to strip it down to what it is.... I have this game I love this game but I have to be honest, the only thing that keeps this game alive is the online, cause after you beat the game, which is fairly short, the game is useless if you don't have online. Thank god I do but I don't think it should be the "Best of 06" because of this.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:02 PM
Quote:
Gears of War
FUCK YEAH!!!
Old 12-11-2006, 04:22 PM
i honestly feel it could be between gears of war and oblivion. both games feature the 360 at its best. have excellent gameplay and awesome replayability factor.

-SinisterMinistr- im not gonna say you're wrong b/c really, you're not. after beating the game on insane, there really in nothing more to accomplish other than killing people online...which is infinitly fun.

oblivion is just too damned huge of a game and developers are constantly adding shit to marketplace for us to download to make the game upwards of at least 20 hours longer (knights of nine is roughly 10 hours in itself!), adding to its already 30+ hours of gameplay! fuck that, but i love the game! so when it comes down to it, its honestly a balls out brawl between those 2 heavy hitters.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by the clever guy
i honestly feel it could be between gears of war and oblivion. both games feature the 360 at its best. have excellent gameplay and awesome replayability factor.

-SinisterMinistr- im not gonna say you're wrong b/c really, you're not. after beating the game on insane, there really in nothing more to accomplish other than killing people online...which is infinitly fun.

oblivion is just too damned huge of a game and developers are constantly adding shit to marketplace for us to download to make the game upwards of at least 20 hours longer (knights of nine is roughly 10 hours in itself!), adding to its already 30+ hours of gameplay! fuck that, but i love the game! so when it comes down to it, its honestly a balls out brawl between those 2 heavy hitters.
Its actually 200+ hours of gameplay.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:36 PM
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess fo sho brah
Old 12-12-2006, 06:58 AM
Quote:
Gears of War
Easiest choice for "game of the year" ever.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:31 PM
GUITAR HERO 2

No contest.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Addi88
GUITAR HERO 2

No contest.
Really?
Old 12-12-2006, 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Vong
Really?
Despite it not being on a Nintendo console, the game still is pretty damn good.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Tyler_Durden_208
Despite it not being on a Nintendo console, the game still is pretty damn good.
I have it on demo at my store. It's DDR for your fingers.
Besides some cool songs, its an unrewarding game.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:25 PM
Quote:
I have it on demo at my store. It's DDR for your fingers.
Besides some cool songs, its an unrewarding game.
I hate DDR, but I love Guitar Hero. I do say that DDR might require a little bit more energy and leg coordination, but saying Guitar Hero is an unrewarding game pretty much says any game without a great story is unrewarding. And that's pretty much saying "fuck you" to the Gears of War crowd.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:05 AM
Quote:
I hate DDR, but I love Guitar Hero. I do say that DDR might require a little bit more energy and leg coordination, but saying Guitar Hero is an unrewarding game pretty much says any game without a great story is unrewarding. And that's pretty much saying "fuck you" to the Gears of War crowd.
Where did he say anything about Guitar Hero being unrewarding because of a lack of story?
Old 12-13-2006, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Quigles
Where did he say anything about Guitar Hero being unrewarding because of a lack of story?
I'm guessing it's going to end up in a comparison to something to do with the Wii and one of it's God-sent games (probably Zelda) and how you put all the effort in for the big pay off at the end of the story. Which is fine. I just also like to have fun, regardless of a good story. Cos some games with great stories can suck out loud.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:09 PM
Quote:
I'm guessing it's going to end up in a comparison to something to do with the Wii and one of it's God-sent games (probably Zelda) and how you put all the effort in for the big pay off at the end of the story. Which is fine. I just also like to have fun, regardless of a good story. Cos some games with great stories can suck out loud.
If you are trying to paint me as a Nintendo fan-boy, you would be wrong sir. I enjoy Nintendo games immensely, but I don't avoid games for other systems. I choose Twilight Princess because I do believe it is the best game of the year. I have played Gears of War and Elder Scrolls 4. Both are good games, but I felt that Gears of War was unsatisfying in the presentation category, and Elder Scrolls lacked main story line length.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:36 PM
Quote:
If you are trying to paint me as a Nintendo fan-boy, you would be wrong sir. I enjoy Nintendo games immensely, but I don't avoid games for other systems. I choose Twilight Princess because I do believe it is the best game of the year. I have played Gears of War and Elder Scrolls 4. Both are good games, but I felt that Gears of War was unsatisfying in the presentation category, and Elder Scrolls lacked main story line length.
I just can't help recall your constant Microsoft and Sony bashing. I'm not labeling you. I'm just predicting you wouldn't care for anything too much that wasn't on a Nintendo console.
And Oblivion (the first Elder Scrolls was a DOS game way back when mid-90's) is one of the most expansive engrossing games released since it's predecessor, Morrowind. I like what I played of Twilight Princess too, but Oblivion dwarves it in size and story-length.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:52 PM
Quote:
I just can't help recall your constant Microsoft and Sony bashing. I'm not labeling you. I'm just predicting you wouldn't care for anything too much that wasn't on a Nintendo console.
And Oblivion (the first Elder Scrolls was a DOS game way back when mid-90's) is one of the most expansive engrossing games released since it's predecessor, Morrowind. I like what I played of Twilight Princess too, but Oblivion dwarves it in size and story-length.
I do bash Microsoft and Sony. But I have also bashed Nintendo. Maybe not here, but I have been giving my two cents on how limited the GC was for games. I own a POS PC, an Xbox and a PS2. I will probably own a 360 down the line and a PS3 if Sony doesn't crash and burn first (had to say it, sorry ). I try to remain equal and balanced in my take on the systems (mainly because I work at Best Buy selling this stuff), but like anyone I do prefer games that has suited my exact need. Nintendo has provided many of those games. That isn't to say I shun every other system out there. All I'm saying is that if I was stranded on an island, I would want my Wii with me.

You can't compare Oblivion to Twilight Princess dude. It's not possible. They are two totally unique games that shine in their own light. Zelda has fullfilled me in ways Oblivion never could. And frankly this is a matter of opinion, so if you don't like what I say, then TS for you sir!
Old 12-13-2006, 09:29 PM
I'm just giving you shit anyway, dude. Twilight Princess is an amazing game, but I just think I could never say that Oblivion (even the main story line) was too short. Now if you were to compare it to Gothic 3, then yes it seems short, cos the real "main story" in Gothic 3 is whatever you're doing.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:41 PM
Gears of War

After second place ead Rising

Old 12-13-2006, 11:20 PM
1. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii)
2. Final Fantasy XII (Playstation 2)
3. Guitar Hero II (Playstation 2)
4. Dead Rising (Xbox 360)
5. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Playstation 3/Xbox 360)
6. Okami (Playstation 2)
7. Bully (Playstation 2)
8. Shadow of Colossus (Playstation 2)
9. Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (Playstation 2/Playstation 3/Xbox/Xbox 360/Wii)
10. Shadow Hearts: From the New World (Playstation 2)

Last edited by TheJadedGamer; 12-22-2006 at 08:21 PM..
Old 12-13-2006, 11:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by TheJadedGamer
1. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii)
2. Final Fantasy XII (Playstation 2)
I thought you had hated FFXII. Bad year, huh?
Old 12-15-2006, 05:18 PM
A tight race between GEARS OF WAR, OBLIVION, and RAINBOW SIX: VEGAS, but the winner is....

GEARS OF WAR.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:36 PM
1.) Gears of War

2.) Dead Rising

3.) Wii Sports

* Zelda feels a little too much like other Zeldas to make me put it anywhere near the top of my list. Never really one of my favorite series, and still isn't.

HANDHELD TOP 3.

1.) Final Fantasy III (DS)

2.) Castlevania Portrait of Ruin (DS)

3.) Contact (DS)
Old 12-15-2006, 09:48 PM
Damn hard choice.

Final Fantasy XII
Gears of War
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
Old 12-15-2006, 10:05 PM
I havent played too many games this year. But the one game that does stand head and shoulders above the rest ( to me neway) is Gears of War
Old 12-21-2006, 06:04 AM
Game of the year is far too easy

Gears of war.

I also loved Prey
Old 12-22-2006, 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by X-Nightcrawler
I thought you had hated FFXII. Bad year, huh?
On my second play-through, I began to enjoy it.

And I just noticed that I forgot Shadow Hearts: From the New World. Time to get rid of Gears of War. (Overrated game...wayyyyyy overrated.)