Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Books/Comics
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2007, 12:02 AM
the BEST & FAVORITE graphic novels / comic books

I am just getting into comic books. So I would love to know what you guys love. Tell me why and who is it by. I recently got into some Alan Moore stuff, which was amazing. And the only other stuff that I'm somewhat familiar with is Frank Miller.

So if I had to recommend one graphic novel to someone, it'd be Watchmen.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:11 AM
alex ross :kingdom come

will blow your mind,amazing art and great story.superman vs shazam.

hack/slash vol 1

tim seeley ,if you like horror .very good.girl lives thru a slasher attack only for years later to hunt them down.

y the last man.

b k vaughan ,what if all the males die leaving only females.well apart one guy and his male monkey.its my fav.

danger girl

j scott campbell.very funny,great art,kind of charlies angels meets bond .

frank millar

dark knight returns

wanted

by mark millar,world where superheroes no longer exist after the villians kill them off,nerdy guy finds his dad was a super villian.

l
Old 01-15-2007, 02:35 PM
Y the Last Man is an awesome concept, and it aint' too bad until you get to about book three, where you realize that it's going nowhere and revealing no reasons as to the WHY of Y.

Then, in trade number 6 you get even MORE pissed off, because every trade has the moment where you think, "Holy shit, something FINALLY is going to be explained about the mysterious deaths" only to find out he's puking blood because he ate a can of botulized tomato soup.

Y is fun for a few books, but if you're getting tired of the silly wheel spinning, it might not be worth reading further.

If you're a fan of mythology and fantasy storytelling that isn't high on action, you might love SANDMAN series as much as me (by Neil Gaiman).

I also really liked Garth Ennis' PREACHER series like almost everyone else.

yorrick brown's other recommendations are pretty good, too.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:33 PM
The Crow
Old 01-15-2007, 05:31 PM
Preacher - ask anyone that knows anything aboput comics, they'll tell you that Preacher is the shit.

The Walking Dead - Zombie goodness

Batman - The long Halloween

Hellboy - Seeds of destruction

Gen 13

The Darkness

Witchblade

Garth Ennis' run on The Punisher

Ultimate Spiderman

The New Avengers
Old 01-15-2007, 06:16 PM
witchblade ,i would have to say michael turners run on it.

the authority is brillent.

gen13 is great ,if you like it then try dv8 the spin off.

but i must say kingdom come is the best trade dc has put out,amazing art and story.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:21 PM
I remember getting DV8 when it first came out, I think I had the first dozen issues, and was really into it, and then for some reason, either it stopped being produced, or my local store simply wasn't carrying it anymore.

incidentally this is my 666th post - I'm fuckin' evil.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:22 PM
Sandman Series ~ Neil Gaiman
Swamp Thing ~ Alan Moore
Bone ~ Jeff Smith
Old 01-16-2007, 08:49 PM
Kingdom Come is fabulous.

Y the Last man is great.

I, myself, am a huge fan of Powers(although quite a bit of people don't dig it apparently)

The Walking dead is absolutly amazing. Very few graphic novels can get your heart racing in suspence like this one.

I would recomend Wanted, but its ending, in my opinion ruins the whole thing. Without spoiling it, I will just say that it completily took me out of the novel and made the whole story a waste.

Last, but not least, I would recomend "Blankets." Its a wonderful wonderful story about real life.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:55 AM
Quote:
I would recomend Wanted, but its ending, in my opinion ruins the whole thing. Without spoiling it, I will just say that it completily took me out of the novel and made the whole story a waste.
Meh...it was a little suprising, but i would hardly say it ruins the book...anyways

Planetary (Best Ever)
Y: The Last Man
Runaways
Preacher
Wanted
Ex Machina
X-Factor (the new series)
Sin City (Mainly Volumes 1-4 and Hell and Back...but all of the vollumes have something worth while about them)
Fables
The Dark Knight Returns
Astonishing X-men
Daredevil

Last edited by Sh8dy Milkman; 01-19-2007 at 03:50 AM..