Old 03-09-2007, 06:49 PM
Edward Rutherfurd

IMO, this guy is the king of historical fiction. For those who don't know of his works, what Ruterfurd does it chronicle civilizations from their beginnings and expands many gneerations. Mixed with this are fictional stories taking place in the time span of his novels. His books are leviathans, generally weighing in at 700-1000+ pages, but fear not, their great reads. IMO, his best works in order are: Sarum, London, The Dublin Saga (Princes and Rebels of Ireland), Russka, and The Forrest. Not to say any are bad, not at all. All his works are unbeatable.

Any one else here read Rutherfurd?
Old 03-12-2007, 10:42 PM
I had to read Sarum over the summer for English class (11th grade). It was good. The first 300-400 pages or so were my favorite parts, particularly the first section, and the Henge. I loved the Henge. I loved how it put a interesting human story behind such a mysterious thing, and gave it alot of personality. I did think it dragged a bit, particularly toward the middle sections. But nonetheless, a good read. I might read another book by him at some point. I'm most interested in London and Russka, though some of the negative things I've heard about the latter are troubling.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Powerslave
I loved how it put a interesting human story behind such a mysterious thing, and gave it alot of personality.
That's one of his strong points. When it comes to history, he's flawless, but I've heard some people say it's dry and boring to read JUST history. I don't agree, but mix in the history with the fiction, and you've got masterful stuff.