Old 05-29-2007, 09:42 PM
Glamorama- A totally insane novel

As some of you may know I've recently been an Easton Ellis binge. I read Less Than Zero which I hated, Rules of Attraction which I really liked, and American Psycho which is one of my favorite novels.

I just finished Glamorama and while I still think American Psycho is a more complete novel Glamorama has to be one of the most ambitious and insane books I've ever read. I don't know how this would ever be adapted into a movie considering it's dark themes, surreal quality, and occasionally grotesque violence.

I don't even really know how to explain the plot. Essentially it follows Victor, a character from Rules Of Attraction who is a model in the early nineties in New York. After a day in which everything goes wrong and his life falls apart he is offered the chance to go to England and for a large amount of money convince an old classmate of his to come back to the States. Many of Victors friends including many characters from Rules of Attraction make an appearence. He meets a group of models while in England and discovers a terrible secret about them.

This is really the only way to describe the 550 page novel. Add into it dopplegangers, terroism, bombings, gruesome murders, graphic sex, world-wide conspiracies, dark humor, delusion, and a growing sense of paranoia and dread and you have a good idea of where the book is going.

I'll be honest I'm still not quite sure if I completely get the last 100 pages or so as what was already a pretty weird book about a guy who may or may not be imaging himself into almost movie-like situations goes haywire in ways you wouldn't believe.

Anyway I loved. I haven't read anything quite like it before even if it has Ellis's trademark writing. If you want an insane book read this.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:13 AM
Oh man. The amount of reviews I read on here and then blind buy the book through sheer excitment........ I've got about a room full of books I just don't have the time to get through.

But i'll be adding this to the amazon shopping trolley anyway.