Old 03-15-2008, 11:55 PM
The Ruins... HOLY FUCK!

I just finished reading The Ruins after 2 days of pretty much non-stop reading. This book is fucking insane! Easily the scariest and most shocking novel I have ever read. Scott Smith does such a great job of developing the characters and describing their feelings. It felt as if I was with the characters in The Ruins, having similar thoughts and feelings. This is one of the best novels I have ever read, and I highly recommend it. Also, the ending is pitch perfect.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:47 AM
Stephen King, a master of hyperbole, sold me on this. So, one night, I cynically started it, and in a few short hours my blood was absolutely turned cold. So, his hyperbole to my hyperbole, perhaps, but it's true. One of the best horror novels I've read in a long time.

I'm quite worried about how the film will turn out. The book got into each character's head so well, I'm afraid the film won't be able to do likewise.

And I've read the chirping noise that played so prominent a part will be toned down, as if audiences might think it too silly. No, no, no...that was the part that creeped me out the most!

It reminded me a lot of The Raft, except I thought this ending was by far more brutal. And, again, nothing really explained about why or how, just that it happens and the shocks come as a greater effect.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:04 PM
Buddy of mine read it down in boarding school ad liked it. I never really pay much mind to pop novels.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:17 PM
Loved this book as well, and I told you you'd like it! Glad you enjoyed, although I realize I wasn't the first one to recommend it for ya :P. I hope this movie can live up to the book, as it is written by the same person, I think it will be one of the best horror movies of the past couple years. I am really excited for it .
Old 03-16-2008, 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homyrrh View Post
Buddy of mine read it down in boarding school ad liked it. I never really pay much mind to pop novels.
What exactly do you mean by "pop novels"?
Old 03-16-2008, 09:52 PM
one of the best books i`ve ever read.

Read it in like 2 days then wen`t out and brought the book and read it again last week.

So well written.

weren`t you just praying for it to rain for them .
Old 03-16-2008, 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yorrick brown View Post
weren`t you just praying for it to rain for them .
Haha yes, and then the brutal ending... I was like NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Old 03-17-2008, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
What exactly do you mean by "pop novels"?
Pop novels? Loosely defined, it's really anythign by James Patterson, Nora Roberts, Carl Hiaasen (though I actually used to read/enjoy him), etc. Even most of Stephen King's work is typified as such (though I'm eagerly awaiting the next chance I have to read the 'The Dark Tower' series (like 3000 pages though...).

There's nothing wrong with them in general, they just don't float my boat. Think of them as the summer blockbusters and something by Cormac McCarthy or Toni Morrison as, well, like a Scorcese film---could be a major hit, but is much more appreciated for its artististry and genius.

Eh? Eh.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:26 PM
The movie worries me.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homyrrh View Post
Pop novels? Loosely defined, it's really anythign by James Patterson, Nora Roberts, Carl Hiaasen (though I actually used to read/enjoy him), etc. Even most of Stephen King's work is typified as such (though I'm eagerly awaiting the next chance I have to read the 'The Dark Tower' series (like 3000 pages though...).

There's nothing wrong with them in general, they just don't float my boat. Think of them as the summer blockbusters and something by Cormac McCarthy or Toni Morrison as, well, like a Scorcese film---could be a major hit, but is much more appreciated for its artististry and genius.

Eh? Eh.
The Ruins is anything but a summer blockbuster (figurtivly), it's pure art. Don't think because it is horror that it is pop, there is some deep shit that goes on in this book, really fuckin' deep! READ IT!