Old 03-24-2008, 02:04 PM
'The Dark Tower' - Stephen King

I finally ordered this today off Amazon ($21 for boxed set of books 1-4, hell yeah...), and am looking to what many and most say is King's magnum opus. It is of course based off of Browning's poem, and I've heard that it could be either be a masterpiece of fantasy or an insult to the poem and a literary abomination.

Thoughts (without spoilers, please)?
Old 03-24-2008, 02:29 PM
I love it. I thought book 5 had a shitty ending, and book 6 was too short and should have been mixed into books 5 and 7.
However, the shitty ending of THE WOLVES OF CALLA really put book 7 into its proper place, and I was no longer upset with it. It was pretty ingenious.

I've read the first 3 books five times each. WIZARD AND GLASS I've read 3 times...

I think it's great.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:33 PM
I'm dying to read these books. I have the first 3 but I just can't get into the first one, its not very well written and just kinda drags. I stopped reading it about 60 pages in. I regret not finishing it. I might pick it up later and give it another go.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopontheshoes7 View Post
I'm dying to read these books. I have the first 3 but I just can't get into the first one, its not very well written and just kinda drags. I stopped reading it about 60 pages in. I regret not finishing it. I might pick it up later and give it another go.
I'm sure you've heard this before (heck, even King says it), but the series does pretty much "find its voice" in volume 2.

I loved THE GUNSLINGER, but I understand how it can be hard to get through. THE DRAWING OF THE THREE is ass-kickin', though.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KcMsterpce View Post
I'm sure you've heard this before (heck, even King says it), but the series does pretty much "find its voice" in volume 2.

I loved THE GUNSLINGER, but I understand how it can be hard to get through. THE DRAWING OF THE THREE is ass-kickin', though.
Ya, I read one of the introductions that say that. Would you say you have to read The Gunslinger to get Drawing of the Three?
Old 03-26-2008, 11:50 AM
There is some fairly essential shit in THE GUNSLINGER and it's not that thick of a book.

Otherwise, read a synopsis online and head to the second book. *shrug*