Old 08-30-2008, 09:48 AM
Death Penalty?

Quote:
MUNCIE, Ind. - An Indiana man has been sentenced to 18 months in prison after admitting he forced his 7-year-old daughter to stab the family cat to death.

During his sentencing on Friday, Danield Collins said he was "extremely sorry" for his actions. The judge in the case told him it wasn't "civilized conduct."

In exchange for a guilty plea on animal cruelty and two counts of neglect, prosecutors dropped three other felony charges against the 39-year-old.

Collins' daughter and his 11-year-old son said Collins ordered them to stab the cat in March because he wanted them to "learn to kill."

Police say the boy tried to hide the cat, but Collins found the animal and strangled it while his children watched.

Collins says he was intoxicated at the time and remembers little about what happened that day.

To me it is clear that this person should not be allowed to be around kids. I titled this death penalty, because a person like this needs to just be dead. This is the most horrible story I have came across in a long time. What the hell is wrong with people. Where was PETA? They are too busy worrying about TDK, when they should have been pushing for a longer sentence for this guy.

He said he was "intoxicated". My fucking ass he was. This is always the excuse for everything. Hey, I got been drunk and I never wanted to do any anything like that. Alcohol usually enhances your personality, so by that line of thinking, this man is a fucking nutcase wanna be killer with no regard for any sort of life. If that is the case, then we should fry the fucker. Time to get rid of useless pieces of trash like this from our planet. I know this might shock many of the liberals here, but come on. I am tired of people who physically and mentally hurt innocent creatures, especially children.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:22 AM
There have been sixteen people wrongly sentenced and put on death row. They were later exonerated by DNA tests that were done after the fact. Had they not had anyone to make the effort to fight for more evidence, then sixteen innocent people would have been put to death.

Are willing to play those odds? I'm not.

The death penalty is archaic and barbaric. As the slogan goes: "Why do we kill people who kill people to show that killing people is bad?"
Old 08-30-2008, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
As the slogan goes: "Why do we kill people who kill people to show that killing people is bad?"
"Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them..."

...AshleysDad?
Old 08-30-2008, 01:25 PM
Cry me a river. No system is perfect Badbird. What about the other 99% who were put to death that were guilty? We always forget about those and focus on the minority of innocent. We also forget about the victims and their families.

I have major problems with the penal system. Certain crimes deserve a death sentence. From a standpoint of money, the death penalty is useless. If someone killed someone I cared about, I would hate to see the person get a life sentence and go home in 16 years or whatever the minimum is. Life rarely means life.

I also have a problem with the jails themselves. The jails in the USA are like country clubs. We need more jails like in Europe. I would like to remind the heart collector this, if he is reading. He hates America. Make jail less of a not so bad place to go and maybe less will want to return. Few fear going to jail. It is like college for criminals.

If I am on the commuter boat in The Dark Knight, I am pushing the button to kill all the criminals. I am not taking the chance that Batman will save us from the Joker.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:40 PM
I used to be for the death penalty, but once DNA started proving many people weren't the real killers or whatnot, I am neutral on the idea.

I believe it would be better to let someone sit in a jail cell for the rest of their lives, thinking about what they did. I do feel we make it easy for people in jail though. They get cable tv, internet, books to read, and so much more. They are in jail to learn about their mistakes, and they should not be given things many people cannot afford themselves. Make them sit in a jail cell all day looking at the wall.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:42 PM
Prison is also there to rehabilitate and turn people back to productive citizens. If you ignore that then you may as well kill everyone who commits a crime, fuck second chances.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleysDad View Post
Cry me a river. No system is perfect Badbird. What about the other 99% who were put to death that were guilty? We always forget about those and focus on the minority of innocent. We also forget about the victims and their families.
Minority of innocent!!!

So lets be sure and get this straight: you are perfectly willing to let innocent people die just so that those who actually deserve the punishment are, in fact, punished?

What happened to thinking about the victims and their families? Which in this case actually IS the victim and their families!

Quote:
I also have a problem with the jails themselves. The jails in the USA are like country clubs. We need more jails like in Europe. I would like to remind the heart collector this, if he is reading. He hates America. Make jail less of a not so bad place to go and maybe less will want to return. Few fear going to jail. It is like college for criminals.

You're joking, right? Go watch "Locked Up" or whatever it's called on MSNBC. They play it pretty much every night.

Quote:
If I am on the commuter boat in The Dark Knight, I am pushing the button to kill all the criminals. I am not taking the chance that Batman will save us from the Joker.
And therefore showing you are worse than the criminals and falling right into the Joker's hands. I hope you're joking, because that's a completely psychotic point of view to take.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:42 AM
By the way, I think we may have found Lynn7's successor.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:49 AM
Quote:
By the way, I think we may have found Lynn7's successor.
Lynn was a bible-bashing conservative to the core, totally blinkered and a complete kook yes...but I doubt she would advocate this nonsense.

I abhor animal cruelty, and this fuckwit needs a stint doing bird and then some...but the death penalty? Come the fuck ON!

AshleysDad, you dismiss the wrongful deaths of 16 (and probably many more) innocent people like it's just part of the territory. I'm sure you would feel very differently if it were your Father or your Uncle Bob. Don't bang on about justice for the victims families and then brush that shit off like it's nothing, purlease.

Isn't capital punishment still legal in certain states in the US?
Old 08-31-2008, 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCoverVersion View Post
Lynn was a bible-bashing conservative to the core, totally blinkered and a complete kook yes...but I doubt she would advocate this nonsense.

I abhor animal cruelty, and this fuckwit needs a stint doing bird and then some...but the death penalty? Come the fuck ON!

AshleysDad, you dismiss the wrongful deaths of 16 (and probably many more) innocent people like it's just part of the territory. I'm sure you would feel very differently if it were your Father or your Uncle Bob. Don't bang on about justice for the victims families and then brush that shit off like it's nothing, purlease.

Isn't capital punishment still legal in certain states in the US?
Liberals: We can save everyone and eveything! We can save the trees. We can save the bugs. We can save people with no souls. And we can pay for it all through taxes. Unless of course by "we " we mean the upper and upper middle class, because the no one in the lower and low middle class should have to pay for anything. Boo hoo.

Stop acting like I am the bad guy and wrong, because I do not think like you do. For liberals, you people are very closed minded and think everyone without your opinion is wrong. How weak. I am a moderate.

You are right, I dismiss the 16 and probably more innocent people who were put to death. I am willing to bet almost all of those 16 did do all other sorts of crimes (not punishable by death) and very few if any of them were 100% totally innocent people who were accused, tried, convicted, had countless appeals and put to death wrongfully. Now you should admit that 16 is a very small percentage of people in the grand scheme of all those who have been put to death. But like I was mocking in my first paragraph of all liberals, you want to save eveything and everyone.

And if any of you bothered to read, I had said from a stand point of money the death penalty is useless. So surprise, I do not support the death penalty system, the way it stands right now. It costs more to kill a prisoner than to keep him locked away for life. If they change the system I would change my stance on the death penalty.

"fuckwit needs a stint doing bird" Fuckwit is funny, nice. Gave me a chuckle. What does bird mean?

States with Death Penalty
Alabama
Arizona
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Idaho
Indiana
Illinois
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maryland
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Mexico
North Carolina
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Washington
Wyoming

State without: Almost all Liberal states.
Alaska
Hawaii
Iowa
Maine
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
North Dakota
New Jersey
New York
Rhode Island
Vermont
West Virginia
Wisconsin
ALSO
- Dist. of Columbia

Last edited by AshleysDad; 08-31-2008 at 09:21 AM..
Old 08-31-2008, 09:56 AM
You do know the only reason the death penalty is allowed in any state is as a deterrent to crime, not as a vengeance/kill 'bad' people program?
Old 08-31-2008, 11:48 AM
Quote:
Liberals: We can save everyone and eveything! We can save the trees. We can save the bugs. We can save people with no souls. And we can pay for it all through taxes. Unless of course by "we " we mean the upper and upper middle class, because the no one in the lower and low middle class should have to pay for anything. Boo hoo.

Stop acting like I am the bad guy and wrong, because I do not think like you do. For liberals, you people are very closed minded and think everyone without your opinion is wrong. How weak. I am a moderate.

You are right, I dismiss the 16 and probably more innocent people who were put to death. I am willing to bet almost all of those 16 did do all other sorts of crimes (not punishable by death) and very few if any of them were 100% totally innocent people who were accused, tried, convicted, had countless appeals and put to death wrongfully. Now you should admit that 16 is a very small percentage of people in the grand scheme of all those who have been put to death. But like I was mocking in my first paragraph of all liberals, you want to save eveything and everyone.

And if any of you bothered to read, I had said from a stand point of money the death penalty is useless. So surprise, I do not support the death penalty system, the way it stands right now. It costs more to kill a prisoner than to keep him locked away for life. If they change the system I would change my stance on the death penalty.

"fuckwit needs a stint doing bird" Fuckwit is funny, nice. Gave me a chuckle. What does bird mean?
Liberal isn't a dirty word here in the UK. It just means you're tolerant of others and generally quite open-minded.

I'm not a 'do-gooder' by any stretch of the imagination and I don't think saving trees even comes into this but I do recycle and keep an eye on my carbon footprint if that's what you're getting at. You have a child don't you? I would have thought you might actually give a rats ass about what state this world might end up in...for the sake of her and her future family at the very least.

Working class people pay taxes don't they? It doesn't start and end with the Middle and Upper Classes.

I'm not acting like you're the bad guy...not at all. I just don't agree that the wrongful death of 16 people is acceptable at all. Period. I'm not a betting person so I won't take you up on your wager but I don't think it matters if these people were whiter-than-white or complete scumbags. They were executed for a crime they didn't commit, end of story. Who are we to argue their shortcomings in a vein attempt to justify them being robbed of their lives?

Read about Timothy Evans and the 10 Rillington Place case. Better still watch the marvelous film. When you discover how a completely innocent man was hung back in the 50's for the murder of his Wife and child then you might feel differently.

It's easy to say "16 people, SO WHAT!?" but I'm sure if you endeavor to learn about individual cases you might not be so quick to dismiss these poor, dead bastards.

That's a LOT of states that still have the death penalty...I'm rather shocked actually.

Oh, and 'doing bird' is a British saying...means doing time in prison. I'm unsure where it actually originates from, but presume it is related to Cockney rhyming slang somehow.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_yTCODyUCE
Classic song, off a classic album.

So what! 16 wrongly excuted people. It is a shame, but I am not going to lose sleep over it. Nor am I going to base my argument on the minority of cases and make that the reason why the death penalty system does not work.

Thank you jolanar for stating the obvious.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCoverVersion View Post
Oh, and 'doing bird' is a British saying...means doing time in prison. I'm unsure where it actually originates from, but presume it is related to Cockney rhyming slang somehow.
Isn't "bird" a term used to describe a female? If that's the case then it's probably sexual, since we're talking about prison. The guy definitely deserves to get fucked in the ass by a roughneck named Carly.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:18 AM
Death penalty -- in this instance -- is unjust. Though I would support a life-time ban on the individual being a parent or custodian of any child, and also a compulsory vasectomy.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:23 PM
With the killing of those school children in mind, I thought I'd give this thread a bump. I'm interested in what the consensus is, and if anyone has a change of mind being that Connecticut just repealed the death penalty this year.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:32 PM

Last edited by SS-Block; 03-31-2014 at 04:47 PM..
Old 12-16-2012, 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by creekin111 View Post
With the killing of those school children in mind, I thought I'd give this thread a bump. I'm interested in what the consensus is, and if anyone has a change of mind being that Connecticut just repealed the death penalty this year.
Try asking that again, only with replacing "death penalty" with "strict gun control."
Old 12-16-2012, 01:32 AM
Quote:
Quote:
Try asking that again, only with replacing "death penalty" with "strict gun control."
OK.

Quote:
With the killing of those school children in mind, I thought I'd give this thread a bump. I'm interested in what the consensus is, and if anyone has a change of mind being that Connecticut just repealed the strict gun control this year.
But that's not true, why would I ask that?
Old 12-16-2012, 08:43 AM
I don't see the purpose of the death penalty other than to satisfy some sense of retribution for the victims family and friends. The whole notion of an eye for an eye is rooted in old fashion law procedures. This problem becomes more apparent when courts sometimes hear cases of evidence coming out where someone was falsely accused and sent to prison for a crime they didn't commit or were given a sentence on unjust grounds. Now, what if this were to occur for someone who was put to death? I'm sure it's happened many times, so why continue offering it as an alternative? I don't want to really dwell too much into religion, but it seems that with the idea of putting someone to death ending their life here so they can then be punished in some metaphysical dimension (Hell) is completely problematic (this does not mean I'm saying that all proponents of the death penalty are religious). Then there's of course the issue of cost of death penalties versus life without parole.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:23 AM
Quote:

But that's not true, why would I ask that?
You know what I mean. How about we make efforts to prevent these kinds of crimes instead of focusing on how we punish the criminal? A more robust gun control system is clearly needed, but we need more than that. It would appear that many of these kind of gunmen have serious mental issues and could have used access to mental health clinics in some way. And that ties into our whole fucked up health care system.

The point is, if we actually put some real fucking energy into problems like this, we might be able to accomplish something, but the NRA gun-nut pussy crybabies will do anything they can to prevent it.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:48 PM
Old 12-16-2012, 06:58 PM
Quote:
You know what I mean. How about we make efforts to prevent these kinds of crimes instead of focusing on how we punish the criminal? A more robust gun control system is clearly needed, but we need more than that. It would appear that many of these kind of gunmen have serious mental issues and could have used access to mental health clinics in some way. And that ties into our whole fucked up health care system.

The point is, if we actually put some real fucking energy into problems like this, we might be able to accomplish something, but the NRA gun-nut pussy crybabies will do anything they can to prevent it.
How about we lock everyone in straight jackets into padded rooms. Hey its an effort to prevent crimes isn't it? Effort always equals good so doing that means it will be good. Illegaly owned/altered gun crimes or crimes by legal guns? There's a huge difference when you're discussing justifying more government encroaching laws. People who want to take away someone's god given natural right to defend themselves as if criminals or bears/wolves/rabid animals can always wait for you to call 911 to give you a running chance. If legal owners were running around killing everyone then maybe you'd have a point. In fact when more criminals are using guns for crimes that could also mean that not enough non-criminals own guns for the criminals to be worried about. A robber is going to think twice before robbing a store if he doesn't know for sure or not if the store owner has a shotgun behind the counter.

Also Connecticut has some of the strongest gun laws around. Strength doesn't always equal strength. Strengthen gun control by weakening law abiding individuals to protect themselves?

This whole conversation is completely moot anyway. It should be left up to the states to decide. Why do people think they have the authority to judge how people 2,000 miles away from them should live? Someone who lived 1 block away from the police station surrounded by a huge urban population might feel differently about guns than someone who lives an hour away from any police presence in a rural area.

Also Norway has no death penalty and Connecticut (just started this year) has no death penalty. This is the topic here not guns.

"NRA gun-nut pussy crybabies". How articulate.

Last edited by creekin111; 12-16-2012 at 07:02 PM..