Old 12-26-2008, 10:36 PM
Free Bonuses With DVD Releases - Part 2

Continuing KBall's idea.

TARGET - January 6th, 2009

The Tudors: Season 2
Exclusive bonus disc - also comes with five dollar gift card.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

$7.50 DVDs

Annie
Grandma's Boy: Unrated
Hellboy
Mr. & Mrs. Smith
The Punisher

$9.99 DVDs

Indiana Jones IV: Kingdom OF The Crystal Skull (single disc)
Iron Man (single disc)

$10.00 DVDs

Madagascar
27 Dresses
Juno
American Gangster: 2 Disc Unrated Extended Edition
P.S. I Love You

$13 DVDs - fitness titles usually found in the Sporting Goods department

The Firm: Ultimate Fat Burning
The Biggest Loser Workout: Cardio Max
10 Minute Solution: Hot Body Boot Camp
Quick Start Yoga For Weight Loss
Taebo
Gaiam Yoga For Beginners

$15.99 DVDs

Mamma Mia! The Movie $15.99
The Sisterhood Of The Traveling Pants 2
Tropic Thunder
Eagle Eye
Get Smart
The Incredible Hulk
An American Girl: Chrissa Stands Strong (with $5.00 gift card)

$19.99 DVDs

The Little Mermaid: 2 Disc Platinum Edition
The Little Mermaid II: Return To The Sea
The Little Mermaid III: Ariel’s Beginning
Peter Pan: 2 Disc Platinum Edition
Peter Pan: Return To Neverland

Battlestar Galactica: Season 4 $34.99
Greek: Chapter 2 $19.99
CSI: Season 8 $44.99
The Tudors: Season 1 $19.99
24: Season 1 - 6 $17.99 (each)
Friends: Seasons 1 - 10 $15.99 (each)
My Name Is Earl: Season 3 $19.99
Seinfeld: Seasons 8 or 9 $14.99 (each)
Jon & Kate Plus Eight: Season 1&2 $9.99

(information from DVD Talk Forum - speedy1961)

I have two targets this week. They're selling "Babylon A.D: 2 Disc Deluxe Unrated" for $22.99 and S4 of "Battlestar Galactica". I'll see if I can find it cheaper (either of them). That's a good price for those seasons of "Twenty-Four". The series comes back on January 11th and will have the return of Elisha Cuthbert. Kim is now a MILF.

Last edited by JohnIan; 12-26-2008 at 10:43 PM..
Old 12-26-2008, 10:53 PM
Certain City - January 6th, 2009

-NONE-

$6.99 DVDs

Wedding Crashers: Uncorked Edition
Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle: Extreme Unrated Edition
Cheech & Chong’s Next Movie/Born In East L.A. double feature

Battlestar Galactica: Season 4 $34.99
24: Season 1 - 6 $24.00 (each)

50% off HBO titles (more titles at stores), prices shown with discount

Entourage: Season 4 $17.50
The Sopranos: Season 6.2 $30
John Adams $30
Generation Kill $30
Band Of Brothers $35.00

30% off ALL CDs (4th - 10th only)

Same price on "BSG" S4 as Target as well as "Babylon A.D: 2 Disc Unrated". Maybe Best Buy will win the day (or have an exclusive). I'll have to see if there's any CDs I want. My store has a pretty crappy selection, just the popular stuff. And I'm not a tween.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:12 AM
Wal-Mart - December 21st, 2008

Death Race
Exclusive skull cap.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:34 AM
Best Buy - January 6th, 2009

Battlestar Galactica: Season 4
Exclusive limited edition gift set; dog tags and book - 8 per store.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

$5.99 DVDs

Eurotrip: Unrated
Clerks II
Super Troopers
Van Wilder: The Rise Of Taj
Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
Stripes: Extended Cut
Dude, Where’s My Car?
Cocaine Cowboys

$9.99 DVDs (purchase any two and receive a free $5.00 gift card - must be on the same receipt)

The Water Horse: Legend Of The Deep
Leatherheads
The Bank Job
No Country For Old Men
There Will Be Blood
We Own The Night
The Spiderwick Chronicles
Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day
Tyler Perry's Meet The Browns
Baby Mama
Stargate: The Ark Of Truth
Doomsday: Unrated
The Forbidden Kingdom
Hitman: Unrated
Superbad: Unrated Extended Edition
Definitely, Maybe

The Tudors: Season 2 $24.99
The Tudors: Season 1 $19.99
Battlestar Galactica: Season 1 or 3 $34.99
Battlestar Galactica: Season 2 or 2.5 $29.99
Battlestar Galactica: Season 4 $31.99 (standard edition)

$11.99 CD

"Kid Rock - Rock N Roll Jesus" with exclusive DVD.

The the winner is BB. I will be getting S4 of "Battlestar Galactica", the gift set ($39.99). Same price on "Babylon A.D: 2 Disc Unrated". I probably pick up "Eurotrip" (again). It was stupid, but I accidental put a gash on my copy - I tripped. *head shakes*

updated - January 4th, 2009
Now with BSG giftset pix.

Last edited by JohnIan; 01-04-2009 at 05:02 AM..
Old 12-31-2008, 06:35 AM
DVD Crawl. Vol. 26, #3 - December 30th, 2008

"Blasphemy? Before what? God? A God repulsed by the miserable humanity He created in His own image? I will not be shackled by the failures of your God. The only blasphemy is to wallow in insignificance. I have taken refuse of your God's failures and I have triumphed. There! THERE is my creation!" - Dr. Herbert West

Two stores - three titles.

I'm kicking myself now. I made an error. I forgot that "Eagel Eye" has an exclusive from Circuit City. Too late now. I've removed all the stickers from it (security and security bar). Grand. On top of that, I lost the receipt. I didn't care about it, THEN. The discs were mint.

I'm off my game this week. I remembered Sunday afternoon that "Resident Evil: Degeneration" comes out that day. When I got there all the lithos were gone. I asked around and got conflicting answers. Some said they were all gone; picked up by early customers and others said they hadn't gotten them in. I left Best Buy with the DVD. I returned today. Nope. Now I'm told that they indeed received them on Sunday. All gone.

On the bright side I was at Wal-Mart and found that bonus disc for "Iron Man". Sway. It was here that I bought my copy of "Eagle Eye" (2 disc set). Which by the way the store had priced higher, $24.98. I kept scratching my head; this should be $22.98. Joy.

Watched that episode of the upcoming cartoon series "Iron Man" from the disc. The animation was decent. But the writing... well I guess it is geared towards kids. I was expecting more I suppose.

Anyhow, did anybody get that litho or the EE from CC?

Circuit City's exclusive game card for "Mummy: Tomb Of The Dragon Emperor"/Target's exclusive booklet for "Wanted" (yes it's rectangular)/Wal-Mart's exclusive disc for "Iron Man"

Last edited by JohnIan; 01-06-2009 at 04:38 AM..
Old 01-04-2009, 05:20 AM
Target - January 13th, 2009

-NONE-

- - - - - - - - - - - -

2 DVDs for $9.00

Adventures In Babysitting
Stand By Me: Special Edition
8 Mile
13 Going On 30: Fun & Flirty Edition

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Tyler Perry’s House Of Payne: Volume III $22.99

Wow. What a crappy sale. The only bright side and I mean only bright side about the Raven Symone remake/sequel, "Further Adventures In Babysitting" is that the original film will most likely get a special edition treatment (the DVD above is bare bones). As what happened with the remake of "The Day The Earth Stood Still". I want the unaired 1989 TV pilot with Jennifer Guthrie as Chris Parker.

Anyhow, can that reimagining get worse? Sure. It stars Miley Cyrus as her stranded friend, Brenda. *shutters*
Old 01-05-2009, 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIan View Post
"Blasphemy? Before what? God? A God repulsed by the miserable humanity He created in His own image? I will not be shackled by the failures of your God. The only blasphemy is to wallow in insignificance. I have taken refuse of your God's failures and I have triumphed. There! THERE is my creation!" - Dr. Herbert West

Two stores - three titles.

I'm kicking myself now. I made an error. I forgot that "Eagel Eye" has an exclusive from Target. Too late now. I've removed all the stickers from it (security and security bar). Grand. On top of that, I lost the receipt. I didn't care about it, THEN. The discs were mint.

I'm off my game this week. I remembered Sunday afternoon that "Resident Evil: Degeneration" comes out that day. When I got there all the lithos were gone. I asked around and got conflicting answers. Some said they were all gone; picked up by early customers and others said they hadn't gotten them in. I left Best Buy with the DVD. I returned today. Nope. Now I'm told that they indeed received them on Sunday. All gone.

On the bright side I was at Wal-Mart and found that bonus disc for "Iron Man". Sway. It was here that I bought my copy of "Eagle Eye" (2 disc set). Which by the way the store had priced higher, $24.98. I kept scratching my head; this should be $22.98. Joy.

Watched that episode of the upcoming cartoon series "Iron Man" from the disc. The animation was decent. But the writing... well I guess it is geared towards kids. I was expecting more I suppose.

Anyhow, did anybody get that litho or the EE from CC?

Circuit City's exclusive game card for "Mummy: Tomb Of The Dragon Emperor"/Target's exclusive booklet for "Wanted" (yes it's rectangular)/Wal-Mart's exclusive disc for "Iron Man"
Hey John what was the Eagle Eye exclusive @ Target?
Old 12-28-2009, 01:47 AM
import dvd and video to imovie

Movie Converter for Mac comes to your rescue
Movie converter for Mac is an simple-to-use application that integrates DVD ripper and video converter into one program to meet your specific requirements. If you want to import your DVD to iMovie, no problem, it can easily rip DVD content and convert to iMovie accepted file formats. Besides, it can also convert almost all regular file formats like AVI, WMV, MPG, MP4, DV, MKV, MOV, VOB, FLV, 3GP etc and also HD files with just a few mouse clicks.

Mac movie converter can also be served as a powerful editing tool. You can choose your favourite part of DVD or video to convert by Trim, crop off unwanted black edge from the DVD or video clip by Crop, merge sever DVD chapters or video files into one file by clicking "Merge into one file" option, adjust effect of DVD or video from the perspective of Brightness, Contrast and Saturation etc, the whole conversion process can also be previewed from the Preview window.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:54 AM
Best Buy - January 5th, 2010

Chuck: The Complete Second Season
Exclusive comic - 2 per store.

- - - - - - - - - -

$7.99 DVDs

Dance Juliann
Pussycat Dolls Workout
Personal Training With Jackie
Dancing With The Stars - Dance Off The Pounds
The Biggest Loser - Boot Camp
The Biggest Loser - Cardio Max
The Biggest Loser - Weight Loss Yoga
Abs Of Steel

- - - - - - - - - -

$9.99 DVDs - purchase any two and receive a $5.00 gift card

Taken
Confessions Of A Shopaholic
Quantum Of Solace
Bedtime Stories
Paul Blart: Mall Cop
Space Buddies
Step Brothers
Bride Wars
Beverly Hills Chihuahua
I Love You, Man
The Day The Earth Stood Still (2008 remake)
Fireproof
Hannah Montana: The 3-D Movie
State Of Play
Pineapple Express
Austraila
Valkyrie
Coraline (single disc version)
Seven Pounds
Saw V
Dragonball
Observe And Report
Ghosts Of Girlfriend Past

- - - - - - - - - -

Big Love: Season 3 $36.99
The Simpsons: Season 12 $13.99
Family Guy: Volume 7 $13.99
Twenty-Four: Season 7 $13.99
How I Met Your Mother: Season 3 $13.99

(information from DVD Talk Forum - Komsik)

No exclusive for "The Final Destination" so I'll pass this week. Feels weird writing 2010.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:37 AM
Target - January 5th, 2010

The Final Destination
Exclusive comic book.

Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs
Exclusive set with book.

- - - - - - - - - - -

$5.00 DVDs

Final Destination
Final Destination 2
Blair Witch Project
Saw

- - - - - - - - - - -

$10.00 DVDs

Step Brothers
Last Chance Harvey
Disney's Baby Einstein: Baby's First Sounds
Disney's Baby Einstein: Baby Mozart

- - - - - - - - - - -

Chuck: Season 2 $36.99

- - - - - - - - - - -

$9.98 CD

"Katharine McPhee - Unbroken" with exclusive DVD.

I'll be buying "The Final Destination" here for the exclusive. But something is nagging me, the wording. The ad reads "Excl. deluxe with comic book". There is no deluxe edition. There is a single disc release for the film. Does this mean there is a second disc? A similar thing happened for "Angels & Demons". I hope so, DVD owners are missing alternate endings, a featurette and storyboards. Fingers crossed.

- - -

01/06/10

Nope. It was just a comic.

Last edited by JohnIan; 01-06-2010 at 07:16 AM..
Old 01-06-2010, 07:16 AM
Wal-Mart - January 5th, 2010

Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs
Exclusive umbrella.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:01 AM
Best Buy - January 12th, 2010

Hurt Locker
Blu-Ray only; exclusive steelbook and photo book.

- - - - - - - - - -

$4.99 DVDs

Fracture
The Black Dahlia
I Now Pronounce You Chuck And Larry
Heat
Training Day
Beerfest
Nutty Professor II: The Klumps
Miami Vice (Unrated, 2006 remake)
Balls Of Fury
The Good Company
Mr. Woodcock
Blade
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective
Carlito's Way: Rise to Power

- - - - - - - - - -

The Simpsons: The Complete Twentieth Season $28.99
Lost: Seasons 1 - 5 $19.99 (each)

(information from DVD Talk Forum - Komsik)

Wow, what a crappy week for new releases. I'll pass. And no price listing for "Moon".
Old 02-05-2015, 04:46 AM
fantastic list.....i liked it..
itsgoaDotCom
Old 02-05-2015, 07:33 PM
Sway.

I've completed the Past Tense articles all the way to August.

Now doing pre-work on September's.

October is the month that takes the longest to compose.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:50 AM
Wal-Mart - February 17th, 2015

"Dumb And Dumber To" - exclusive BD/DVD/DC combo gift set; with t-shirt $24.96.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:54 AM
Past Tense

Time to pull out a stiff drink and have smooth tunes on the turntable for "Man Men"...

"Mad Men: Season Five" was released on home video on October 16th, 2012.

It streeted against "Moonrise Kingdom", "Psych: The Complete Sixth Season" and "Chernobyl Diaries".

This release originally came in a transparent slipcover holding the four discs in a digipak. It came with two small inserts. 1) And ad for Canadian Club whiskey, the backside has recipes how to make a Manhattan and Old Flashioned drinks. 2) Double sided ad for season six of "Mad Men".

- - -

Target offered the only exclusive, a bonus disc. It came inside the box, within a printed cardboard sleeve.

The disc has a run time of 44:07 minutes, six chapters in widescreen. There is no menu screen, it just plays. This exclusive was available for both DVD and Blu-Ray, both priced at $29.99. I do not know if the BD release had a DVD bonus (probably so).

The exclusive is an episode of "Inside The Actor's Studio" aired May 14th, 2012 on Bravo channel. It features interviews with series creator Matthew Weiner with stars Jon Hamm, January Jones, Vincent Kartheiser, Jared Harris, John Slattery and Christina Hendricks. James Lipton hosting.

This was quite fascinating, not filler, recommended if you can find it.

I had no problem find this at Target on release day. Long time readers will recall the woes of other exclusives of theirs.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

This is one of the few shows which did not fall into pit of burning out before ending; still strong and captivating. Even the mundane day to day events were interesting (including the fat Betty [Jones] story line). Great television.

I am sadden by the death of a character. Hint, he's in the above image. I liked him. Granted his actions were ill made, they were not made in malice. I'm glad the passing had gravitas, not a quick 'this episode' kind of thing.

Also enjoyed the relationship between Don (Hamm) and new wife, Megan (Jessica Paré).

It's sad knowing what is to come in season seven (part 1). Yes, that's a spoiler. But really this wasn't any kind of revelation. By the end of this season, Megan was on her way to her own path - minus Don. She desperately wants to be an actress, marriage be damned. At least she's no Betty, a petty woman with control issues.

In case you're curious this season starts in 1966.

The addition of Michael Ginsberg (Ben Feldman) was a nice add on. He's suppose to be the heel this year, but he's quite likable; not a bad guy, just different.

One of the reasons I so love this show is its strong continuity. Made me smile to see the Glen Bishop character return even if it were for one episode; by the same actor, a now older Marten Weiner. Sway.

It was an uncredited bit part.

The biggest moan among fans is what does Roger Sterling (Slattery) contribute? He's the party boy and not much else. I don't see him that way.

The Roger character is our view into the era. The rest are living lives which are important to the series. He has no real commitments had has time to participate... in? This and that.

LSD for one.

He and Peggy (Elisabeth Moss) have grown this season. Pete remains interesting, but at a standstill. This is much - no ALL his own fault. He is own worst enemy.

And besides it is Roger who saves the day in a big way in season seven, part one - which was a surprise. Reminds me of the finale of season six of "Buffy The Vampire Slayer"; Xander Harris (Nicholas Brendon) doing what no one else could and doing it alone. *smile* Which is what Roger did.

For the series construct, Roger is the man the agency calls to wine and dine clients; he puts them as ease and is a genuine fun guy. He closes deals not at the board room, but at bars and other off agency locales. He's good at what he does. I don't have any problem with his presence.

- - - - - - - - - -

Recalled.

This is a new year - a new feature.

From time to time, when the entry is too short I might write about a title which was recalled; the whys and whatnots and when if at all it was re-released.
[quote]No promises, no demands[/quotes]
- Pat Benatar

And yeah, I know. I should've started this feature with "Wrong Turn 6" written about in the Past Tense entry for "Terminator 3: Rise Of The Machines" (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3) in January.

It is what it is.

We start this new feature with "Star Trek: Generations" (1994).

It was announced that a deluxe, two disc special edition was coming out on September 7th, 2004 for $19.99 (originally it had a $27.95 price tag). And it did, I bought mine from Wal-Mart on street for thirteen or so. What I remember was disc one was all scratched up, had to make THREE exchanges to remedy. *shakes head*

Shortly - as in days later, it was pulled.
Quote:
There is a typographical error on the Star Trek Generations Special Collector's Edition DVD. It inadvertently notes a teaser and theatrical trailer that are not on the DVD. As a result, this product is being recalled and the release date (originally September 7) is being delayed. We will provide further information on a new street date shortly.
- official Paramount press release

From what I can tell; some stores didn't either care about the recall or were not aware that that title wasn't suppose to go on sale.

It was reported that K-Mart decided to burn off their copies by selling them 50% off; $9.99. It was easier for them to do than to recall and ship back to the studio; paper work and such.

The title came out later that month on September 28th.

What happened?

The both the teaser and trailer were removed because it had music which wasn't licensed. But it was axed from the DVD (disc 2) after the wraparounds were printed which listed them as extras. So the studio recalled the CE set to print new wraparounds without listing the promos. Paramount were not going to re-repress the disc to included them if they had paid for music licenses.

Call them cheap or whatever - this is an old problem.

The first DVD release of "Star Trek: Generations" happened on November 17th, 1998 ($29.95, single disc). This was a bare bones release, no trailer or teaser; same reason; Paramount didn't want to pay the licenses.

It had so-called special features: English and Spanish subtitles/captions with scene selections.

It seems the studio still won't pony it up.

The Blu-Ray release, April 30th, 2013 ($21.98) includes additional, new extras, plus all the previous bonuses, but still does not include the promos.

Just so you know, all the "Star Trek" Special Collector's Edition DVDs up to "V: The Final Frontier" had booklets.

I suppose the first release ("Generations") is a collector's item, but looking online the price for it isn't much different than the second pressing. *shrugs*

Just a thought; different topic.

What would it look like to have - in his prime; Jack Palance as Batman. One thing is certain, he would have change the way he talked as Bruce Wayne, otherwise everyone would know it was him. Man that would be intense - *deep breath* I'm Batman.

- - -

I've been mulling this over and have decided NOT to write a Past Tense on it - too minor. I will however mention it here.

There was an exclusive for "Mad Men: Season Two", a tie clip from Best Buy; the clip has "Mad Men" pressed and printed on it... kinda tacky. The set sold for $29.99 (this was DVD only, no exclusive for Blu-Ray edition) on July 14th, 2009. I bought it since they were the only store with a bonus, granted - a pretty weak one. The clip came in a tiny baggy inside the box.

And there you go. A short PT entry, but fashionably short. The next Past Tense will surface on the interwebs on March 5th, 2015 with wings, fancy.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:40 AM
Best Buy - February 24th, 2015

Big Hero 6
Exclusive lenticular slipcover; BD/DVD/DC combo $19.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$13.99 CD

"Kid Ink - Full Speed" with 3 exclusive bonus tracks

Indeed, there you go. Enjoy.

Last edited by JohnIan; 02-23-2015 at 01:04 AM..