Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Upcoming Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2009, 07:39 AM
Official SILENT HILL: REVELATION 3D Thread (October 26, 2012)

'Silent Hill' Sequel OFFICIAL! Shooting Next Year!

Quote:
Some huge movies before I shut down for the evening, Columbia Pictures has finally officially announced a sequel to Silent Hill, which will begin production after the completion of Sony Screen Gems' Resident Evil: Afterlife. Screenwriter Roger Avary and Samuel Hadida of Davis Films are returning. Read on for the skinny. No director has been named yet.

Roger Avary and Samuel Hadida of Davis Films are climbing back up "Silent Hill."

The screenwriter and producer have signed on for a sequel to their 2006 video game adaptation.

The original, based on the Konami game, centered on a woman who travels to a desolate town to seek help for her ailing daughter only to find supernatural occurrences taking place there.

Davis Films aims to shoot the movie next year after "Resident Evil 4," which it's now prepping.

TriStar released the original "Silent Hill," which earned $47 million domestically; the label has not confirmed involvement on the follow-up.

Avary, best known for his work on Quentin Tarantino scripts such as "Pulp Fiction," also is penning video game adaptation "Return to Castle Wolfenstein" for Davis Films.

The deal is one of several projects for Hadida's company. The French-based banner has come to Toronto with two projects -- Michael Bassett's "Solomon Kane" and the Terry Gilliam-helmed "The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus."

"Kane," based on Robert Howard's early 20th-century pulp novels that blend fantasy and history, screened in the Cannes market in the spring, and Davis Films is hoping for new attention and offers at TIFF. The pic is set to play Wednesday in the Midnight Madness section.

"The cut is basically the same, but a lot of distributors wanted to see it with an audience, which could really affect how a film plays," Hadida said.

Despite the lesser-known cast -- James Purefoy, starring in the title role, is perhaps the best-known name -- the filmmakers believe "Kane" could sell on the brand value of the Howard creation.

"The property is the star," said Paul Berrow, who is producing with Hadida.

"Parnassus" will be released by Sony Pictures Classics following an involved postproduction process that included a stop at Cannes in May.

In addition to the "Resident Evil" franchise, Hadida counts movies such as "Good Night, and Good Luck" and "The Rules of Attraction" among his credits.
That snuck up on us. Thoughts?

Last edited by SkyNet; 09-29-2012 at 09:50 PM..
Old 09-15-2009, 07:42 AM
Silent Hill 2 has been "confirmed" before. I think it even had a new director once. It's never gotten to the shooting stage.

I can't imagine it going to theaters. Maybe dtv?
Old 09-15-2009, 03:59 PM
Well the first movie did quite well at the box office so I'm sure this won't be DTV.

Anyway I loved the first and I'm glad to hear they're finally doing something with the sequel. Hopefully we can get returning characters (Mitchell or Bean) and one of the creepy stories from the game (Silent Hill 2 anyone?) Looking forward to this and the new RE movie...
Old 09-15-2009, 04:01 PM
Avery is going to have to write a fast script because he might go to prison.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:21 PM
I enjoyed the hell out of the first film, but I'm disappoint to see Avery coming back for a second. The biggest downside of the first was the writing, especially the dialog.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdraven View Post
Avery is going to have to write a fast script because he might go to prison.
why?! What story did i miss??
Old 09-15-2009, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Well the first movie did quite well at the box office so I'm sure this won't be DTV.
Silent Hill did not make its budget back domestically.

I'm still leaning towards dtv. That was the rumor some time ago, and I can't imagine a sequel being pushed forward to a videogame movie nearly 4 years after it premiered to negative critic reception and lukewarm mainstream reception.

Does anybody know if it has developed an above average following on DVD?
Old 09-15-2009, 05:30 PM
Hopefully this happens, the first was absolutely incredible. And if it plays out anything like the video games, the second will be even better.

Kind of a bummer Christophe Gans doesn't want to come back, his work with the first was absolutely stunning. Hopefully this gets a chance at hitting theaters rather than another awful RE film. They've had 3 chances with that franchise, and its still awful. Silent Hill deserves another chance.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:11 PM
I LOVED the first Silent Hill, so I welcome this but only if Gans comes back and it sounds like it's not happening. So fuck I don't know.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:36 PM
I just hope that they take a page out of the game's book and make the sequel a 'spiritual' follow-up that only keeps the setting/monsters.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:01 PM
I hope they stray away from the plot again

Since the Silent Hill game series is known for being one of the few game franchises to actually focus on plot development, it should have been relatively simple to adapt a movie.

In the first film they thought this was just too easy of an approach. What would a Hollywood director tell his director friends if he had tried to respect a good story? He would have been ostracized and left for dead.

The key to success with video game movies is to water down the atmosphere, change the characters, change the plot, throw in a couple familiar monsters, and leave on a weak ending. Then, to let fans know that they really don't matter, you make three or four sequels that hopefully take the story as far away from the game's framework as possible.

I do own Silent Hill, strictly because I make it a point to own any movie where someone's skin is entirely ripped off while they are still alive, but, it is, in the nicest possible way, total garbage. The second one will be too. Rest assured.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:38 PM
I was disappointed with the Silent Hill when I first saw it in the cinema but gave it another chance on dvd and I liked it a lot. Is probably the only video game movie that looks like the games.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:39 PM
I was very wary when the first movie came out because I was a big fan of the games. The sights and sounds transfered to the screen well and the story was good until the end.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddRH View Post
I was very wary when the first movie came out because I was a big fan of the games. The sights and sounds transfered to the screen well and the story was good until the end.
What was bad about the end? I don't think I've ever been as consistantly freaked out by a movie as when that organ strikes up at the end of this film. Every time it just feels like hell is about to be unleashed.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:06 PM
First one was a fantastic film and I hope the second one can live up to that.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Smith fan View Post
What was bad about the end? I don't think I've ever been as consistantly freaked out by a movie as when that organ strikes up at the end of this film. Every time it just feels like hell is about to be unleashed.

Well, the end really didn't have an end. I would have liked to see some reconciliation with the husband, wife, and daughter...and then veer off.