Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2011, 12:28 AM
Am I the only one who misses video stores like Suncoast Video?

Suncoast Video meant everything to me. So did Ma & Pop video stores from the past that Blockbusters gobbled up. Ma & Pop stores had a lot old movies that were hard to come by, that in fact never made it to DVD. Suncoast was the perfect video store. It had an excellent selection of old and new movies. It even continued holding VHS movies for an extended period of time, which I appreciated.

To get a little personal, my school life sucked. Other than a good home life with my family, the availablility of video stores is something that helped get through a lot of the everyday BS. I will admit, I’m a twenty-something guy who still feels lost in his direction, and the serious lack of video stories has created a lot of emptiness. It’s like, the very thing that helped me through school has been taken away from me. In 2006, it was Suncoast Video that went away. And in 2007, the last Ma & Pop store I would ever know of went away. I never thought that the newer technology and online businesses would officially gobble up these precious heavens. It turns out I took these places for granted. There were a lot of movies I kept putting off and now I may never get to see them.

I understand now why newer technology has made it “easier” for people to get movies over the internet. It doesn’t mean I have to like it, but I understand what has transpired. It is just a shame that video stores and online businesses couldn’t co-exist. I looked up the demise of Suncoast Video and Sam Goody. After several years, the sales went down. People found online movies “easier,” and others got fed up with the prices and the extra discs thrown in for extra $. It’s partially changing times that’s responsible, as well as studios taking too much advantage of movie fans.

I know that Best Buy, Target and other stores are still around and sell DVD’s. As well as second hand stores that carry used movies. And that the studios are or may still taking advantage of movie fans with overpriced/overstuffed DVD’s and blu-ray. But they don’t compare to the service Suncoast and Sam Goody provided – old and new movies; excellent selection of both. I don’t know if it’s where I live, but there certainly appears to be far less specialty stores like Suncoast around me and everywhere in the US, and I really miss it.

I’ve always been a loner, but even I know that you have get out the house sometimes. You don’t have to directly talk to someone you know about philosophy, but it was always a change of pace to go to a video story where other human beings existed and physyically hold a VHS/DVD in your hand. That one magical thing has been forever taken away from me, and places like Best Buy don’t replace it. The experience of going out and buying movies has changed and it’s depressing.

I’ve considered this other thought. I’ve reached the age where I feel like I’ve seen everything and nothing is original. I hardly go to the movies anymore. I imagine others reach this point as well. So, who knews if I would still be going to Suncoast nowadays? Well, even if a current Suncoast carried the new, generic movies, I’ve wondered about relics from the past. I have primarily focused on films from the `70’s and up. There must be hidden gems from every year and decade before the 1970’s, and without specialty stores, it isn’t easy to come across those movies.

I would be behind the newer technology and online businesses if more, or all, older films were made available. Regardless of the lack of demand for them. I’m talking about the classics to cult classics to the craptacular. There is an audience for all of them. If there’s anything the online businesses should be focusing on, it’s this – the preservation of all older films.

This seems like the perfect rant for this board. I'm no longer enraged by these changing times, but I have been placed in an empty and depressing position by it. All of us adore movies, and yet they are harder to come by. Anyone also feel the same way?

Last edited by Duke Nukem; 01-07-2011 at 01:19 AM..
Old 01-07-2011, 12:59 AM
I used to work at Suncoast in high school and had no idea that they had filed bankruptcy, so in terms of missing them - no. Every once and a while I'd wander in there to browse and generally would find things to be too expensive. I'm pretty sure the last thing I bought at a Suncoast was a DVD of Get of Life, and that would of been in 2002. Now that I'm thinking of it, I think I've been standing in FYE's for several years thinking I was in a Suncoast.

Everyone goes on about the mom and pop stores getting creamed, but I was pretty close with an owner of one of these stores, one of the best, and most of what I saw was someone refusing to change their way of doing business. I'm not a fan of it, just because I prefer smaller business to prosper over giant faceless corps, but when technology is changing and your business is based on that technology - it's just the way it is: you gotta change how you run things, or get run out. Sadly, in terms of the video industry, the corps make it hard to predict which way to go - bluray or HDDVD, for instance.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:20 AM
I miss them as well...Loved walking through the non-new release section and scoping out some B-grade jems (or lumps of coal). Hated the late fees though. Got to say you have little or no renters remorse when you stream a piece of crap and can just select another. I miss video stores; but like what the industry has evolved into.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:23 PM
Suncoast was nothing compared to Media Play. Now THAT is a store that I miss. Every time I went, I spent $20-$30 more than I thought I would.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:28 PM
I hated Suncoast. It was expensive and the one I'd go to had douchebags for employees.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:10 PM
I remember Media Play. I can't say I recall its quality of the movie selection. It wasn't at the mall I went to. What I remember about Suncoast was its amazing selection of old and new movies. But was it expensive to shop there? That I don't particularly remember. I was only pondering that theory in my first post. Chances are, I would have bit the bullet on any not-too-unreasonable price because of what they had.

I will say this, I do seem to remember the manager of my local Suncoast being a bit cold towards me (and cold in general). I may have tried getting a job there in 2001 and it just didn't come through. The rest of the employees I don't recall having any attitudes. I'm sorry about the lousy sercive you recieved at your store, Tweek. It's a shame your store wasn't better managed.

It just would have been nice if DVDs and the Suncoast/Sam Goody business had been marketed better and didn't ask for too much $$$. Online businesses still would have showed up, but they could worked together with the physical stores. As long as prices weren't driven up, there would have people who wanted to get out of the house and go to the video store, and other people who have prefered the "easier"/less fun way of doing it over the computer.

A world with this fewer video/specialty stores doesn't make sense to me. It's like they want people to do everything at the click of a button, never leave the house and forget how to physically co-exist with other human beings. And this is coming from someboy who is a loner. Suncoast and all those other beloved stores were reasons to step out of the house and do something. It's as if the world is getting bigger and smaller at the same time.

Last edited by Duke Nukem; 01-07-2011 at 10:13 PM..
Old 08-10-2011, 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countchocula View Post
Suncoast was nothing compared to Media Play. Now THAT is a store that I miss. Every time I went, I spent $20-$30 more than I thought I would.
YES! I used to spend sooo much money at Media Play. It was always a relaxing experience for me. It was large and I could spend hours in there just walking around and looking at movies/cds. I would go there everytime I got a paycheck. I was 19 years old and living on my own and I would turn to movies and music during my loneliest times. In fact, Media Play was the first place in my area where I could find foreign horror films.

I remember when things slowly started going downhill. My friends and I would go to pick out cds and whatnot. I remember the "singles" section getting smaller and smaller. One day, a friend of mine heard a song she liked and wanted to buy the single and when we went to look for it, the entire "singles" section was nonexistent. This was before any of us had started downloading and I remember it being a frustrating moment for her.

In fact, Media Play has been out of business in my area for about 5 years, I think, and the building is still there and not in use unless it's time for the Halloween season. It's really sad. It's like looking at a big empty hole of my early college years and reminds me of all those fond memories.

Last edited by Venus Venusia; 08-10-2011 at 09:46 PM..
Old 08-11-2011, 01:12 AM
Do you guys remember a store called Blockbuster Music?

I don't remember if they had movies, but I remember I bought a lot of used and new music from them for a while. It's also the last place I ever bought any cassettes.

I still go to Suncoast Video every few weeks to take a look. I'm still disappointed in their foreign film section, but their western selection is excellent.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:38 AM
I thankfully live in a town that still has a good old fashioned mom and pop video store. Upstairs is the video games and genre flicks, downstairs are the new releases. What's really great is I've been going there forever and I can get the promotional posters and I've even talked the owner into selling me some vintage VHS cases in the past. Good times!