Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 02:21 PM
What film(s) did everyone watch today? Redux Trois!

The old thread was getting a little too big for its own weight, so here's a brand new thread (likely the longest ongoing thread in the history of our site) regarding everyone's LATEST MOVIE VIEWINGS...

Remember that you can also elaborate on your viewings in MOVIE FAN CENTRAL, just a click away...
Old 05-27-2011, 03:22 PM
Easy A

Surprisingly good. If John Hughes made a movie today, it would be similar to this.
7/10

Something Wild

A fun-loving movie that turns into an exciting crime thriller. It works because for the first half, we really come to like the character, and when Ray comes along…oh shit!
8/10

Batman Begins

Still one of the best Superhero movies out there!
9.5/10
Old 05-27-2011, 04:41 PM
thanks to quentin in the 80's underrated thread i saw 'chan is missing' yesterday as i liked 'smoke'. i really enjoyed chan is missing

8/10
Old 05-27-2011, 05:28 PM

Gave it a rewatch today when I missed the Kung-Fu Panda showing in 2d. Really it is truly one of the best horror flicks of all time.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:21 PM

Both first time viewings....
Old 05-27-2011, 06:46 PM

8/10

9/10

Last edited by Scotch; 05-27-2011 at 08:13 PM..
Old 12-28-2011, 04:43 PM
documentary on supervolcanos.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:36 AM
HALL PASS

Not very funny. There were two really funny lines in it, though. I love the CUCKOO'S NEST reference. And the UFO comment right after.

Otherwise, it was pretty bland and predictable. The latter complaint isn't much of a complaint as long as I enjoy the comedy. But I didn't all that much.

5/10
Old 05-28-2011, 03:48 AM
The last few movies I've seen:

The Hangover Part II - ***
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides - ** 1/2
Bridesmaids - ***
Old 05-28-2011, 07:30 AM
love letter 7
rango 5, too much depp
father and son 6.5
Old 05-28-2011, 10:15 AM

I'm glad I went in with extremely low expectations. This film is nothing more than a copy and paste cutout of the first just with the addition of a new location and a new character missing. I know this thing is going to make a shit load of money, so I hope with Part III the director holds true to his word about going in a 'different' direction.

7/10
Old 05-28-2011, 10:21 AM
Diary of a Wimpy Kid 2: Rodrick Rules - 6/10
Old 06-02-2011, 12:52 PM
Monsters

Didn't watch it today but it is the last film i saw.

I'm hoping to be inspired on the message board....

http://cinephile-wannabe.blogspot.com/
Old 06-02-2011, 02:45 PM
first time viewing just finished on bluray

7/10
Old 06-19-2011, 10:57 AM
127 Hours - 9/10
Old 06-19-2011, 11:50 AM
Rewatched Kick-Ass - 8/10

Lost Season 3 (2006-07)

It's a shame that most of the people I know dropped off this series after Season 1 or 2, because this one is possibly the most thrilling yet. Ben, Juliet and Desmond are all very compelling additions to the cast, the finale is insane and Terry O Quinn's performance might just be the best I have ever seen in television. Bring on Season 4.
10/10
Old 06-19-2011, 12:12 PM
Old 06-19-2011, 04:20 PM
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (6/10)
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (8/10)
When the Wind Shakes the Barley (8/10)
The Breakfast Club (8/10)
Sympathy for Lady Vengence (8/10)
Old 06-19-2011, 04:48 PM
Old 06-20-2011, 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
was this post in reference to mine?
Old 06-20-2011, 08:47 PM
The Pride and the Passion with Cary Grant, Frank Sinatra, and Sophia Loren - A Spanish army tries to move a large cannon to city held by the Napoleonic army in order to get rid of the French. Sinatra was miscast as a Spanish leader of a guerrilla group but the other two main actors did fine jobs. The final battle was well done as well. The story is a little thin consisting mainly of a love triangle and the difficulty in moving the cannon across Spanish terrain. 6/10

The Noose Hangs High with Abbott and Costello - Hijinks occur when the two men have difficulty in getting $50,000 from a gangster to their boss. Some funny gags and comedy bits but it really isn't anything special. 5/10
Old 07-11-2011, 07:35 PM
today i watched american history x (8/10), blow (8/10) and old yeller (4/10)
Old 07-11-2011, 08:15 PM
The Devil Wears Prada - I like most of the characters (especially Stanley Tucci) but the story was lacking. It just made the entire fashion world look so conceited and frivolous so I didn't really care what happened all that much. It was still decent and the costumes were obviously great as well. 6/10

Delicatessen - Anytime you combine a dystopian future and black comedy I'm probably going to have a good time and this is no exception. I loved the butcher and the lady who kept trying to commit suicide in needlessly complicated and ineffective ways that would make Wile E. Coyote proud. Actually all of the characters were great. And the Australian is one of the coolest movie weapons I've seen in a while. 9/10

Under the Yum Yum Tree with Jack Lemmon - A farce in which Lemmon plays a sex crazed landlord who falls for one of his tenants even harder than he usually does. Of course he runs into complications with a boyfriend and that's when the madness really begins. More proof that Lemmon was a comedic genius. 8/10
Old 07-11-2011, 08:18 PM
Chop Shop

This passed under my radar for not so mysterious reasons, being an indie drama that’s so tiny in budget but massive in heart and emotional scope that it’s a wonder it squeaked by to DVD at all. But I’m glad it did. This was my first real sampling of the intrepid eloquence that marks Ramin Bahrani’s slice of life neorealist style, the story focusing on orphan Alejandro’s plucky efforts to fill the bigger shoes of an adult (and often can’t for no fault of his own, demonstrated in some heartbreaking moments late in the film), trying to make a better life for himself and his older sister out of literally scrap. It’s this can-do spirit that Bahrani gives the likable kid that prevents the ugliness of his world from squashing all the hope out of the characters’ lives, and it’s remarkable how much the director did with so very little actual resources aside from storytelling technique and authentic performance.

-> 8/10
Old 07-11-2011, 10:56 PM
Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince - 7/10
Old 07-12-2011, 01:43 AM
Page One: Inside The New York Times -5/10
A long, thoroughly surface and uninformative commercial. Should be called "The David Carr Show."

The White Ribbon -9/10
Holy fuck. Such an idiot for not seeing this in a theater when I had the chance. Definitely Haneke's masterpiece, one of the best of the last decade.

Wall Street 2: Money Never Sleeps -N/A
So bad. I turned it off after like half an hour. What the hell happened to Oliver Stone?
Old 07-12-2011, 01:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUENTIN View Post
Page One: Inside The New York Times -5/10
A long, thoroughly surface and uninformative commercial. Should be called "The David Carr Show."
That's disappointing to hear. I was thinking of seeing that.

Quote:
So bad. I turned it off after like half an hour. What the hell happened to Oliver Stone?
With the exception of World Trade Center recently, I've pretty much given up on Oliver Stone.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUENTIN View Post
I'm telling you; ever since he stopped working with Bob Richardson, his movies have dropped in quality, HARD. I didn't turn Wall Street 2 off, but I definitely found it boring, uninspired and complete pointless.

Last night I watched:

Mother (Bong Joon-Ho, 2010) - Wow. Lately, South Korea has emerged as one of the leading sources of quality world cinema. Its slew of new auteurs are all master manipulators of image and human emotion, and all Korean films interestingly have one thing in common: they bend (and break) genre conventions like twigs. Mother is sometimes a hilarious comedy; sometimes a harrowing human drama; sometimes a mystery crime thriller. For most of its runtime it is a very unique take on the classic detective story, both adhering to and providing fascinating variations on the genre conventions. However, in its last act, it takes a shocking turn that really elevates it into incredibly poignant, heartbreaking territory. Incredible work.

RATING: 8/10.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:51 PM
Inadequate People

3/10
Old 07-28-2011, 07:34 PM
Tron Legacy 8/10
Old 07-28-2011, 07:51 PM
I Saw The Devil

And “I Saw Another Fucking Awesome Korean Revenge Flick”. But their title is better. Stepping over to the dark side this time around in the vengeance game, Oldboy’s badass-in-chief Min-sik Choi trades in his hammer for a pipe and a homemade guillotine as a twisted psychopath that makes the mistake of butchering the pregnant fiancé of an equally badass Korean James Bond who has all the tools and skills necessary to track him down and make him his squealing, bleeding bitch. Cat and mouse wargames ensue, but with enough twists and turns in the second half of the increasingly ambitious and bizarre story that the daunting runtime actually becomes a plus and not a minus. It gets gorier, crazier, funnier, sicker, edgier and more intense the longer it goes on, far from overstaying its welcome. By the end you know you’ve been taken on an exhausting but exhilerating ride of utterly unique proportions despite a well-worn genre, and you couldn’t ask for much more from a movie like this in stepping up a game made famous by Chan-wook Park’s Vengeance Trilogy.

-> 9/10
Old 07-28-2011, 08:20 PM
Westward Passage with Laurence Olivier - A selfish writer's wife leaves him and he tries to win her back. There were some mildly amusing scenes throughout and the ending was the best part. 6/10

Gambling Lady with Barbara Stanwyck - A gambler who refuses to play crooked games and her romantic life are constantly at odds. There is also some jealously when another suitor tries to win her affections and her husband's ex shows up as well. The story is decent and Stanwyck is charming as ever. The ending is predictable but still satisfying. 7/10

Murder Man with Spencer Tracy - A reporter specializing in murder cases pins the blame of one such murder on a business associate. The ending is a twist I did not expect in this case. Tracy's performance is solid and James Stewart also does a decent job in his film debut. 6/10

This Property is Condemned with Natalie Wood and Robert Redford - A man comes to a small Depression-era town to lay people off from their railroad jobs. Wood is a beautiful young woman who falls for him against her mother's wishes. The bulk of the story is a flashback - the story is told by her younger sister. Two fantastic performances by the leads in this one. The main problem I had was the ending - it was depressing and didn't really seem to fit the story. Still a great film until that point though. 8/10
Old 07-28-2011, 08:54 PM

7/10
Old 07-28-2011, 08:55 PM

A "slow burn" movie can be something of a fine line for movie goers. While some people enjoy the tnesion that directors bring to thses types of movies, other people just want something to come up that is significant to move the plot and characters, not someone walking from one place to another. This a film that director Anton Corbjin brings to the table with his film, The American, which follows an assassin named Jack (George Clooney) hiding in a town in Italy, waiting for an assignment. While the film somehwat dawdles in certain character interactions that Jack has and has a bit of a rushed finale, the tension that Corbjin exudes in this film is just too good to ignore.

As a fan of action films, there have always been certain qualities that I always preferred in films. For one thing, I always think of the saying "less is more" in certain action films, as it makes the action all the more engaging and, in many ways, exciting. If you simply throw more bangs for your buck in certain places of your film, it becomes oversaturated and makes the movie feel repetitive. That's why certain action moments in quiet films like No Country for Old Men feel more memorable than action heavy films like Transformers, at least for me. It's the small scale and direction of these scnes that brings suspense for the viewers, waiting for the cork to just pop off.

The American doesn't have a very memorable "low-key" action moments, but the suspense is certainly wokrs in its favor. It's a world of paranoia and mistrust. Paranoia is key for the character of Jack, and George Clooney plays it off in spades. He's a man who can move on from the world he inhabits in a drop of a hat, or a crack of a bullet for that matter. However, there is a sense of connection that Jack yearns which is evident throughout the film, as well as being one of the plot points. However, as much as there are plot points to distinguish and broaden the character of Jack, the points feel rushed as well as kind of unimportant to the plot.

Yet, the movie is still impeccably made and acted, and that is defintiely worth something. The film follows the ins-and outs of the hcaracter that it is almost felt like a routine, but never really boring. It's a well cut film and Corbjin knows how to handle suspense very well, mostly through the film's soundtrack to build up each scene. It's just that while the film feels like it is building up to something, it's something that pretty much concludes in a predictable matter.

The American is a film that is a pleasant past time experience to be watch if you are up to it. Like I said, it has a slow burn that some may not be comfortable or patient with, but George Clooney and the director's chops imbue enough quality for the film that never makes it a terrible film experience. Some aspects feel inconsequential to the plot, but the overall tension tht this "low-key" film brings is just too good to ignore.

7/10
Old 07-30-2011, 11:25 PM
I watched The Wicker Man for the first time and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:03 AM
I watch on Starz Inside Job. 10/10
This doc explains why we are in the depression and how it is all Wall Streets fault. You should see it too
Old 07-31-2011, 12:32 AM

Cowboys & Aliens - *** 1/2

I don't understand some of the negativity this movie is receiving. It's one of my favorite movies of the year so far and the best film that Jon Favreau has directed surpassing even the first Iron Man. It's really a FANTASTIC western with aliens. Daniel Craig and especially Harrison Ford are terrific. This is Ford's best role in YEARS! He's so great in this. The supporting cast is wonderful too. Olivia Wilde was great in The Change-Up and she's great here too. Although I liked her in House, I wasn't really not THAT much of a fan of hers, but this summer she's won me over. Sam Rockwell and Adam Beach are terrific too. It's surprisingly deliberately paced for a summer blockbuster. But that's what I love about it. It actually takes time to develop the characters and actually ended up caring about them. The movie isn't nearly as jokey as the trailers make it look too. It's actually very intense and the body count is surprisingly high. But while the movie is slow paced, it still quickens up during the action scenes which are fantastic. The movie is beautifully photographed too. Stunning cinematography. I was thoroughly absorbed from beginning to end. This movie grabbed me in the beginning and never let me go. Really loved it!
Old 07-31-2011, 08:03 AM
The Source Code 5/10
Old 07-31-2011, 10:04 AM
Insidious

The team of James Wan and Leigh Whannell follow up Jigsaw and Mary Shaw with a freaky demon that’s part Freddy Krueger, part Darth Maul. Or somesuch. But they’re inching closer to the modern genre classic that just never manages to materialize. And with this latest effort that falls somewhat short of that goal like its ilk before it, I think I’ve identified the problem – Shyamalan Syndrome. They don’t use the same gimmicky twist endings, maybe, but they do keep recycling the same “Gotcha!” method in the closing moments that it no longer comes across as shocking and unconventional, but pat and wholly conventional. Scream 4 had a point by saying “the unexpected is the new cliché”, and these guys have perpetuated that to a fault with pretty much every one of their films. It was cool in Saw, then it just became laughable by Dead Silence. Which is a shame in this case, because aside from a fairly standard story that reeks of Paranormal Activity's basic setup (for obvious reasons), Wan has an expert handle on building suspense and bringing the effective shocks to the fore, and there are a lot of genuinely creepy and disturbing moments that give it a distinct stamp in the genre of haunted houses and demonic possession.

-> 7/10
Old 08-17-2011, 06:12 PM
Priest

5/10
Closed Thread