Old 07-03-2011, 11:06 PM
Helmet Law Irony ????

Quote:
ONONDAGA, N.Y. A motorcyclist participating in a protest ride against helmet laws went over his handlebars, hit his head on the pavement and was killed, police said Sunday

The motorcyclist, 55-year-old Philip A. Contos, likely would have survived the accident if he'd been wearing a helmet, state troopers said.

The accident happened Saturday afternoon in Onondaga, a town in central New York near Syracuse.

Contos was driving a 1983 Harley-Davidson on a helmet protest ride organized by the Onondaga chapter of American Bikers Aimed Towards Education, or ABATE, troopers said. The organization states that it encourages the voluntary use of helmets but opposes mandatory helmet laws.

Contos, of Parish, hit his brakes, and his motorcycle fishtailed and went out of control, flipping him over the handlebars, police said. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.

New York is one of 20 states that require all motorcycle riders to wear helmets. Lobbying by motorcyclist groups has led some states to repeal helmet laws.

A helmet that meets federal standards reduces the wearer's chances of being killed in an accident by more than 40 percent, said safety consultant Jim Hedlund, of the Governors Highway Safety Association
What is so bad about having to wear a helmet? Really?
Old 07-03-2011, 11:17 PM
I wear my helmet each and every single day. It's not an option
Old 07-03-2011, 11:50 PM
I don't understand why people would not want to wear it.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:56 PM
This is the helmet I wear everyday.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:08 AM
I have no complaints about wearing a helmet when riding. I've had minor injuries when riding and they could have been a lot worse if the end result was a head injury.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:36 AM
Great way to avoid a citation, Phil!

Personally, I protect my head every time I go for a ride, although I don't think it should be against the law if I choose not to and if the only person in danger is me.

and of course when I say "head" I'm talking about my dick.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
What is so bad about having to wear a helmet? Really?
Cuase then you're not cool man. It's like Hockey in the 70's and prior, helmets are for sissies

At first i thought this was going to be an article about cyclists not wearing helmets but was surprised that it was about motorcyclists. I agree that i can't fathom why you wouldn't want to wear a helmet on a motorbike, hell how about some sort of body armor as well?

I personally have never hurt myself in a way that would have been lessened if i were wearing a helemt, though i'm sure i've come close...... no broken bones yet either....... knock on wood.