Old 07-05-2011, 03:45 PM
The Thing prequel

Variety reports that the theatrical trailer for The Thing prequel (due out October 14) was previewed at CineEurope, also included was some additional footage.

Mary Elizabeth Winstead also tweets that she has seen the final cut and was impressed with the movie. Despite rumour control working over-time the release date still stands.

Roll on October!
Old 07-06-2011, 03:46 PM
I like Mary but this movie is D.O.A. for me.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:12 PM
Teaser poster is pretty cool

Old 07-13-2011, 09:20 PM
Yeah. I love the poster.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:09 PM
The trailer is fantastic too. Though it looks to be the exact same movie with a female Macready. Maybe better production values.

I DID, however, absolutely love the use of the original score at the very end of the trailer. I wonder wonder wonder if that will be used throughout the movie.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:26 PM
This is not a prequel, this is a remake, disguised as a prequel....

Seriously though, come on. At LEAST use Sweedes, I mean Norwegian, language. And come up with your own scenes, such as the dogs in the cage, the Thing building another lair in the basement, burning Bennings, I mean whoever that other character is being burned out in the snow. Morriconne's score was cool to hear again though. I'm kind of let down on this one. It could have been a great movie, but instead they are relying too much on JC's vision. At least that's what I'm taking from the trailer. BUT WHAT IF WE WRONG ABOUT HIM?!...........THEN WE WRONG!
Old 07-16-2011, 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ed View Post
Teaser poster is pretty cool

So far that's the only thing it's got going for it.

I want to give it a benefit of the doubt, but it seriously has some enormous monster shoes to fill.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:35 AM
Can someone who has read the script say if it has the blood test scene from the original? I find it hard to beleive their grubby fingers could resist stealing that scene. If they have then its a remake imo.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:30 PM
Two movies set on an Antarctic base featuring the same shape-shifting creature have similar shots? NO WAY!
Old 07-20-2011, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkeptic View Post
Can someone who has read the script say if it has the blood test scene from the original? I find it hard to beleive their grubby fingers could resist stealing that scene. If they have then its a remake imo.
Before I answer your question, please remember that shooting scripts differ vastly from the initial screenplay.

I have a copy of the original Ronald D Moore script and there is no blood test scene however there is a slightly different 'test' which Kate stumbles upon quite by chance, it involves a tooth filling and that's all I'm going to say.............
Old 07-14-2011, 10:25 PM
Meh. It looks okay I guess. But definitely not something that I'd jump out of seat and go rush out and see.

John Carpenter's The Thing was a good enough movie, but I didn't love it like a lot of people do.

The trailer for this prequel just looks, at best, mildly diverting but nothing remotely special.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:30 PM
While I do respect peoples reservations about this film. I on the other hand am not going to jump into the "Oh, it will be crap, because JC's vision is the best etc" boat too early. I give just about every film at least ONE chance. I think it could be promising. And I will go and see it. Remember, everything or nothing can be told by a trailer. I have seen great flicks with crap trailers. And vica-versa. My life-long movie philosophy has been to give everything at least once chance. And I will do exactly this. There are exceptions to this rule though. The Twilight movies etc lol
Old 07-15-2011, 10:37 AM
It really doesnt look that bad, it just looks like a shot for shot remake disguised as a prequel. The production budgets - sets, location, etc - will be better than Carpenter's. but the effects will, of course, be CGI and probably lame.

I always love me a good paranoia movie so I'll be there. PLus, as has been said, Mary Elizabeth Wanstead.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:45 PM
My philosophy about remakes is "Shut up, stop being an idiot, and don't judge a movie when you haven't even seen it yet."

Needless to say, I've been looking forward to this ever since it was announced, and the trailer didn't disappoint.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:42 PM
Whoa, I've seen my fair share of remakes and the majority of them have ranged from mediocre to flat out sucking. So, these schmoes and I have that mindset can have some skepticism regarding remakes. There's nothing regarding being an idiot about it.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:57 PM
So I was right all along, it was a remake, masquerading as a prequel. Hardly a surprise, hollywood gets more and more pathetic by the day.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:37 AM
Another remake bites the dust. Incredibly mediocre "prequel" to John Carpenter's classic; and I use the term "prequel" very loosely, is nothing more than a complete carbon copy of the 1982 version's source material, with a few differences scattered about. Everything that was so great about JC's version (i.e.: "blood test" sequence, the claustrophobic atmosphere, the paranoia, and the outstanding creature effects) are lost this time around. Too many useless characters, way too many moments of unimpressive CGI creature effects (bring back the practical effects goddamnit!!!) and a totally cliche and stupid finale segues into another studio money grabbing cash-in that offers nothing special or original. Stick with John Carpenter's version.

4/10