Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Celeb Talk/Gossip
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2011, 07:31 PM
Idiot Woman Sues Distributor of 'Drive' Because It Wasn't 'Fast Five'

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...nt_fast_five/#
Quote:
Idiot Woman Sues Distributor of 'Drive' Because It Wasn't 'Fast Five'

by

Oliver Lyttelton

We’ve all had that feeling where we walk out of a movie and realize that we’ve been sold something quite different from the finished product. It’s particularly prevalent with more “difficult”’ projects; distributors will play up the sexier, genre-led elements in order to bring in the crowds. It’s a fact of advertising, and one that most people are accepting of—we’ve certainly never been left particularly angry by a trailer that feints one way, and a movie that goes another. In a world where so few surprises are left, it can actually be kind of exciting. But not for Sarah Deming.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Deming, a spectacularly thick Michigan woman, has launched a lawsuit against FilmDistrict, the distributor of “Drive,” claiming that the trailers sold a “Fast and the Furious”-style actioner, when the film is anything but. The lawsuit states that the company “promoted the film “Drive” as very similar to the “Fast and Furious”, or similar, series of movies. “Drive” bore very little similarity to a chase, or race action film… having very little driving in the motion picture.”

Furthermore, Deming, who has the time to file frivolous lawsuits, but apparently not to Google a review of the movie she’s about to go see, also claims that the film is anti-semitic, an attempt to rile up the audience into committing violence against Jews, saying “Drive was a motion picture that substantially contained extreme gratuitous defamatory dehumanizing racism directed against members of the Jewish faith, and thereby promoted criminal violence against members of the Jewish faith.” Deming, who, despite appearances, is a real person, and not a character on “The Simpsons,” hopes to have her ticket refunded, as well as bringing an end to misleading Hollywood advertising, and hopes other quote-unquote victims will join her in a class-action lawsuit.

We’ll deal with Deming’s second complaint, about the anti-semitism, below, but for the moment, let’s do a quick compare and contrast. The trailers for “Fast Five,” the summer hit in the “Fast & The Furious” series, and the clip FilmDistrict cut for “Drive,” are below.

Hopefully, you, unlike Deming, are able to spot the differences here. Not a lot of opera in that “Fast Five” trailer, is there? The curious thing is that the five-star moron has picked a pretty bad example to launch her crusade; FilmDistrict actually do a very good, honest job in representing “Drive,” with about the same proportion of car chase to other stuff as the finished film. Maybe there’s someone that Deming can sue for giving her shitty taste, but it doesn’t really seem to be anyone else’s fault.

And as for the anti-semitism? The word ‘kike’ alone doesn’t make Nicolas Winding Refn the next Leni Reifenstahl. There’s one character stated as being Jewish, Ron Perlman‘s villain (it’s possible that Albert Brooks’ character is as well), who uses the racial slur once, in the context of complaining of his anti-semitic treatment at the hands of the east coast mob. It’s certainly not condoned, and *spoiler* when Perlman meets his end at the hands of Ryan Gosling‘s protagonist, it’s not because he’s Jewish, it’s because he’s the bad guy. We can’t actually believe we have to explain this.

All in all, Deming, who has somehow managed to go through life without sticking her wet fingers into a plug socket or opening the emergency exit on a moving airplane, doesn’t appear to have a chance, and it’s unlikely that the case will ever reach trial, but we hope FilmDistrict manage to wring every penny of their costs out of her. In the meantime, might we suggest that Deming lower her blood pressure by checking out Pixar‘s latest charming family tale, “The Human Centipede?”
Hahahahaha. I clicked on the article expecting it to be a parody of the ludicrous outcry by mainstream audiences about Drive, but the fact that it's actually true is a sad reflection of what movie going has become to some people.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:36 PM
Fuckin retarded....I hate some Americans.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:37 PM
Reading this made me laugh. How stupid can people actually be???
Old 10-09-2011, 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMovie View Post
How stupid can people actually be???
Humanity as a whole knows no bounds as far as that is concerned.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:32 PM
Dumb-cunts like this twat are all over the fucking place. As previously mentioned, it's the LAWYER who agrees to take this case, with a snow balls chance in hell of actually winning, who's even dumber then the bitch filing the lawsuit. THAT is someone that needs to get the fuck out the business of legal counsel immediately!

Last edited by jaw2929; 10-09-2011 at 11:07 PM..
Old 10-09-2011, 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by God of War View Post
Humanity as a whole knows no bounds as far as that is concerned.
Word.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:08 PM
This wacko woman needs to do her fucking research before going into a movie.

Drive has some great actors in it. It's also got a respectable director behind it. The movie also had Oscar buzz before it even opened. That would make me think that this isn't some standard action movie.

Fast Five is part of a franchise that should have died already. The trailer gives you pretty much what you're going to get with the movie. If you like that kind of thing, that's fine. But like the article said, the differences are easy to spot in the trailers.

I could never imagine somebody suing the makers of Fast Five because it wasn't Drive. Fast Five came out first, but you know what I'm getting at.

Last edited by Matchbox225; 10-09-2011 at 10:11 PM..
Old 10-10-2011, 09:19 AM
Have you heard of some of her soon to be coming law suits?

PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN franchise: Not piratey enough, lacking in yo ho ho: $5 million in loss of har har.

CONAN (the new one): Conan O'Brian was NOWHERE in the movie: false advertising: $3.9 million

THE THREE MUSKETEERS: The concession stand only had Kit Kat and Milky Way: failure to satisfy (citing precedent of AMC Theaters v.s. Snickers 1997): $4 million

FOOTLOOSE: the trailer exhibited for the upcoming movie displayed feet HOWEVER they were far from as loose as she saw in the original film. Not living up to expectations of a whackadoo: $8 million.

What's sad is that anyone can file a lawsuit behind anything they deem as "incorrect" and some judge has to put the actual important cases to the side to look at these cases and say
"...what is wrong with you?"
Old 10-09-2011, 07:40 PM
Does this mean that there is actually a Lawyer that took this case though??

I mean, ya this woman is an absolute idiot and deserves to be in a padded cell with her arms restrained so she can't hurt herself

But... is there actually a lawyer out there who heard this case and said "Sure, i'll take it"?!

If so, I want that lawyer to be disbarred and humiliated.

And i think Film District should counter sue this woman for every single penny they have to pay on defense in this case. I don't care if this woman lives in a trailer and can barely afford food for her dumbass, being that level of dumbass means you should have to pay and pay dearly for every ounce of monetary hardship you cause anyone, including a multi million dollar film company.

God damn, people are fucking stupid!
Old 10-09-2011, 07:57 PM
Stupidity doesn't lead to this. She's just mad as hell at god knows what, and she can't take it anymore. It leans over into psychopathic.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:04 PM
I had to pay to see FREE Willy.

Muthafuckas...
Old 10-09-2011, 08:09 PM
Old 10-09-2011, 09:00 PM
Old 02-18-2012, 10:24 AM
Wow, I need to visit more often...