Old 01-03-2012, 07:54 PM
Official DREDD 3D Thread

Summary:
Quote:
In a violent, futuristic city where the police have the authority to act as judge, jury and executioner, a cop teams with a trainee to take down a gang that deals the reality-altering drug, SLO-MO.

Director: Pete Travis (Vantage Point)
Screenwriter: Alex Garland (Sunshine)

Cast:
  • Karl Urban as Judge Dredd
  • Olivia Thirlby as Judge Anderson
  • Lena Headey as Madeline Madrigal (AKA "Ma-Ma")
  • Jason Cope
  • Domhnall Gleeson[8]
  • Langley Kirkwood as Judge Lex
  • Francis Chouler as Judge Guthrie[9]
  • Deobia Oparei as Judge T.J. Alvarez[10]
  • Kevon Kane as Mark
  • Joe Vaz as Big Joe
  • Warrick Grier
  • Scott Sparrow
  • Luke Tyler as Freel
  • Travis Snyders
  • Martin Kintu
  • Rakie Ayola

VFX:

I read the script a month ago, don't know which draft it was, but it's sort of like Die Hard meets Robocop. If they can get away with the majority of what Garland wrote, this is a Hard R film. There are some sweet sequences with the drug SLO-MO, as well as some including Olivia Thirlby's character. Very trippy, and violent. Seems more true to what I hear the comics were like. Dredd never takes off his mask here.

Last edited by SkyNet; 09-11-2012 at 04:18 AM..
Old 01-03-2012, 08:44 PM
I'm not sure I like that he never takes off his mask, but aside from that... looks fun.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
I'm not sure I like that he never takes off his mask, but aside from that... looks fun.
I know what you mean, but if I'm correct he never does in the comics, so I'm guessing they're trying to 'please the fans' with that. I get the feeling the general audience won't like it. But who knows, they may tweak it and have him take it off in a scene.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:30 AM
fixed the links to the images
Old 01-04-2012, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
Agreed. Hoping its not toned down and Hard R
Old 01-04-2012, 06:07 AM
I'm a fan of Karl Urban's, but this will be one of those "wait and see" movies for me. I know nothing of the comics and even those it's been quite some time since I saw the Stallone movie, it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:48 AM
bigred, if you liked Die Hard and Robocop, and have no problems whatsoever with those two films being fused into one, so to speak - then I see no reason for it not to be at least entertaining. The Garland script was decent, and like I said before if they don't pussy out or if the studio doesn't interfere and let the filmmakers breathe, this should be a nice hard R action film with some awesome visual elements. There are some vicious kills here and Dredd is a cold sumbitch in this version. But after all, a script is a script, this may be totally opposite and turn into a wreck which I hope does not happen in any way. From the pics though, it seems to be doing just fine. Love the look on Ma-Ma. That bitch is also cold.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:29 PM
If it's a brit production and Dredd never takes off his helmet then i'm in. The first Judge Dredd movie was R rated.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:45 AM
John Wagner, creator of Judge Dredd talks about his excitement for the film

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2012/...r&dlvrit=63378

What he said about Stallone's version

Quote:
“They told the wrong story — it didn’t have that much to do with Dredd the character as we know him. I don’t think Stallone was a bad Dredd, though it would have been better and lent him more cred if he hadn’t revealed his face. He was just Dredd in the wrong story. I envy their budget, though. Some of the CGI was very good, and the re-creations of the Angel Gang and the robot. The robot actually came from a [Judge Dredd editor] Pat Mills story and didn’t belong in Dredd, but it looked good. If the plot had revolved around characters like them the film would have been more successful.”
and about the new film...

Quote:
“The plot is about Dredd and his world. It’s impossible to cover every aspect of the character and his city – perhaps that was one of the failings of the first film; they tried to do too much and ended up with not a lot. Dredd homes in on the essential job of judging – instant justice in a violent future city. I like the actors, they’re well cast and they handled their parts well. Olivia Thirlby (Juno) is perfect as Anderson, the young psi judge. She gives the character a touching vulnerability. Karl Urban will not remove his helmet and will not kiss his costar.”
Old 01-29-2012, 12:31 AM
Word from John Wagner:

Quote:
"The reshoots went well and the editing, I'm told, is now complete. VFX are looking cool. They expect to have the score, sound and other technical stuff finished in February."
Old 01-31-2012, 08:31 PM
NEW PHOTO

Spoiler:
Old 02-07-2012, 07:11 PM

Ok...i'm a big fan of the character. Read 2000ad since I was 7 or 8. But seriously...the helmet just don't look right in this pic.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:44 AM
new pics incoming...

judging by that last image...looks like they're sticking to the grittiness of the Garland script! Good news!

Last edited by Digifruitella; 02-11-2012 at 12:59 AM..
Old 02-10-2012, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
new pics incoming...

judging by that last image...looks like they're sticking to the grittiness of the Garland script! Good news!
Cool! it's about time someone shot Seth Rogan
Old 02-10-2012, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sane View Post
Cool! it's about time someone shot Seth Rogan
LMAO. btw, I think I know which scene this is from reading that script. It's actually a really cool sequence in the film. Looking forward to seeing it.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:57 AM
Old 02-11-2012, 01:03 AM
A short GIF from some sort of leaked footage.

SPOILER, look at your own risk.

Spoiler:

Looks fuckin' relentless. Everything I've seen of it so far points to it being pretty faithful to the gritty, hard R script from Garland. Excitement is really shooting up, as if I wasn't already excited for it.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:04 AM

lol he blasted that fool. Fuckin awesome gif.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:18 PM
More Dredd footage has been leaked by someone who worked on the film, but it's been taken down, I'm sure someone will reupload it at some point but so far here's what we've got of it.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:25 PM
Found it, here it is quick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdWoJ...layer_embedded
Old 05-08-2012, 09:20 AM
A better close up of Lena Headey

Spoiler:
Old 05-08-2012, 09:43 PM
Just a bit more info about Ma-Ma, the villain played by Headey

Quote:
"She’s a prostitute who then kills her pimp and takes over his drug-running business. And Ma-Ma is a bit of a man-hater. I think of her like an old great white shark who is just waiting for someone bigger and stronger to show up and kill her, she’s ready for it. In fact, she can’t wait for it to happen. And yet no one can get the job done. She’s an addict, so she’s dead in that way, but that last knock just hasn’t come. This big, fat, scarred shark moving through the sea and everyone flees and she’s like, ‘Will someone just have the balls to do it? Please?‘”
More shit about the film

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/new...-producer.html

Quote:
"The version of Dredd that we've made is very authentic to the original 2000 AD comic character," he said. "It's gritty, it's dark, it's deadpan. We've made a movie that has a real edginess to it.

"It has a great visual style with an authenticity to it. It has a propulsive, super contemporary score. We think Dredd fans, fanboys, action fans, or anybody who appreciates really innovative cinema is going to really respond to the movie."

Last edited by Digifruitella; 05-08-2012 at 09:49 PM..
Old 06-06-2012, 12:36 AM
Got an official full synopsis

Quote:
"The future America is an irradiated waste land. On its East Coast, running from Boston to Washington DC, lies Mega City One- a vast, violent metropolis where criminals rule the chaotic streets. The only force of order lies with the urban cops called “Judges” who possess the combined powers of judge, jury and instant executioner. Known and feared throughout the city, Dredd (Karl Urban) is the ultimate Judge, challenged with ridding the city of its latest scourge – a dangerous drug epidemic that has users of “Slo-Mo” experiencing reality at a fraction of its normal speed.

During a routine day on the job, Dredd is assigned to train and evaluate Cassandra Anderson (Olivia Thirlby), a rookie with
Spoiler:
powerful
Spoiler:
psychic
abilities thanks to a
Spoiler:
genetic mutation
. A heinous crime calls them to a neighborhood where fellow Judges rarely dare to venture- a 200 story vertical slum controlled by prostitute turned drug lord Ma-Ma (Lena Headey) and her ruthless clan. When they capture one of the clan’s inner circle, Ma-Ma overtakes the compound’s control center and wages a dirty, vicious war against the Judges that proves she will stop at nothing to protect her empire. With the body count climbing and no way out, Dredd and Anderson must confront the odds and engage in the relentless battle for their survival."
and a new pic

Last edited by Digifruitella; 06-06-2012 at 12:38 AM..
Old 06-08-2012, 08:27 PM

Old 06-09-2012, 03:27 AM
With all these images that we've been getting, we should get a trailer soon, no?

Especially since this thing is suppose to open in about 3 months.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:18 PM
This is the format I want the next Batman movie to have.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:45 PM
Trailer this Thursday, online.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:21 PM
Clip from the trailer to whet our appetites
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOjtdZ739gc
Old 06-20-2012, 06:45 PM
screen caps

Spoiler:

Old 06-20-2012, 11:39 PM
FULL TRAILER - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rb4aYU5vsc
Old 06-20-2012, 11:47 PM
Oh, btw. I'm in. My type of flick
Old 06-21-2012, 05:33 AM
Looks grittier than the 1995 film,with a little The Raid: Redemption mixed in
Old 06-21-2012, 04:19 PM
Trailer in HD this time http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncZ0zOCOXMM

I'm glad it's R, they stuck to the script which was pretty violent
Old 06-21-2012, 07:06 PM
That looks really terrible. I like most involved, but it looks pretty cheesy. Having said that I'll probably watch it sometime when I'm bored
Old 06-21-2012, 09:11 PM
looks awful, Urban tries to be like Stallone, very annoying
Old 06-21-2012, 10:50 PM
Trailer did nothing for me. It was filled with bad action, bad one-liners from Urban, and a story that didn't look all that interesting.

I may pass on this one after all.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:50 AM
This looks awful to me.

Looks like The Raid, but without the awesome kung fu.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:49 PM
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/...e-origin-story
Old 07-12-2012, 08:35 AM
first Dredd review up

Quote:
Even one of the co-creators of Dredd, John Wagner, dismissed the entire project, saying that “Judge Dredd wasn’t really Judge Dredd." But thankfully, the failure of that project has led to a movie which really is Judge Dredd.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/12/dredd-review

Well, seeing a first positive review is good news. But then again, the script wasn't too bad either for what the film is.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:32 AM