Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2012, 10:00 AM
Man sues movie theater because snacks are too expensive

This might need to be moved to General, but I figured everyone bitches about high snack prices in the rant section a lot, so I put it here.

Quote:
By Gael Fashingbauer Cooper

Who hasn't stood in front of a movie theater concession stand and been stunned by the prices of snacks and drinks? $5 for a bottled water? $8 for a bag of popcorn? $4 for a box of M&Ms? If regular moviegoers haven't smuggled in their own snacks, they've almost certainly thought about it.

Joshua Thompson of Livonia, Mich., actually did something about it. He filled a class action suit against his local AMC Theater protesting the snack overpricing, the Detroit Free Press reported.

Thompson wouldn't talk to the paper, but the Free Press reports that the man used to bring his own snacks and drinks to the theater until a sign was posted banning doing so.

The lawsuit also provides some blunt price comparison, saying Thompson paid $8 for a Coke and box of Goobers chocolate-covered peanuts at the theater in December, three times what the items were being sold for at nearby stores.

The Free Press notes that the lawsuit will likely be thrown out, quoting legal experts who say that because movie theaters are regulated, they are exempt from Michigan's Consumer Protection Act.

The best line in the Free Press story? "A staffer at the National Association of Theatre Owners in Washington, D.C., angrily hung up the phone when asked about industry snack pricing practices."

And another great quote comes from this 2007 article from Boston, in which Ian M. Judge, director of operations for a theater chain, is quoted as saying, "I worked for Loews for five years and I can tell you that I was told many times that we were not a theater but a restaurant that happens to show movies."

Of course, this is America, where a business is free to set its own prices, and consumers are free to pay them or to choose not to patronize the business. A 2009 Stanford research study says that high snack prices at theaters can actually be a good thing, because they keep ticket prices lower, as theater owners know they'll make it back from us at the concession counter. Although that 2009 study took place before the ubiquitous addition of 3-D to almost every film out there boosted those prices as well. No business like show business indeed.

The Stanford research study is complete bullshit. Ticket prices as we all know are tied to what the studios make, so raising them does not mean all that much more money in their pockets. They should have done a study on the relationship between high snack prices and the amount sold. I am willing to bet the higher the prices, the lower the sales. I know I have almost stopped buying stuff at a theater. I will literally have a meal at the same price before I go.

I do find it interesting about how movie theaters are regulated. Anyone know more about that?

It will be thrown out, but I salute his efforts. I believe it to be price gouging.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:41 AM
Whatever happened to dinner and then a movie?
Old 03-06-2012, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
It will be thrown out, but I salute his efforts. I believe it to be price gouging.
There is no such thing as price gouging. It was a term made up to make people believe they are being cheated.

You know what determines prices? Supply and demand. If demand is there, prices will rise until the demand drops.

Nobody forces you to buy these snacks, they are offered to eat with the movie. It is not a necessity to live. As mentioned, go before or after the film to dinner.

Movie theaters are in the business to make money. It is a luxury meant for those who can afford to go. If you do not like the prices, rent a movie, get some local grocery store popcorn, and enjoy in your own home.

Problem solved.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:32 PM
I'm known to attend movies by myself from time to time, you think any employees will question me if I start to wear a satchel to the theater?

Old 03-06-2012, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe1985 View Post
There is no such thing as price gouging. It was a term made up to make people believe they are being cheated.

You know what determines prices? Supply and demand. If demand is there, prices will rise until the demand drops.

Nobody forces you to buy these snacks, they are offered to eat with the movie. It is not a necessity to live. As mentioned, go before or after the film to dinner.

Movie theaters are in the business to make money. It is a luxury meant for those who can afford to go. If you do not like the prices, rent a movie, get some local grocery store popcorn, and enjoy in your own home.

Problem solved.
And I quote
"Price gouging is a pejorative term referring to a situation in which a seller prices goods or commodities much higher than is considered reasonable or fair. This rapid increase in prices occurs after a demand or supply shock: examples include price increases after hurricanes or other natural disasters. In precise, legal usage, it is the name of a crime that applies in some of the United States during civil emergencies. In less precise usage, it can refer either to prices obtained by practices inconsistent with a competitive free market, or to windfall profits. In the Soviet Union, it was simply included under the single definition of speculation."

So there very well is price gouging in the world. To me, this includes itheaters (sporting events too). You are not allowed to bring in your know stuff and then they over charge you for their goods. That is the very definition of price gouging.

Oil / Gas is supply and demand. That is not the case for theaters. They are not making enough money from the distributors of movies, so they try to rip us off.

In case you are not aware, less tickets are sold today and almost every year for the last 10 years. It is a major problem of the movie industry, so people are choosing to not go. There's your lower demand. Yet prices keep going up. So your theory is not working here.

Maybe, just maybe the theaters should lower the pricing on their goods and that would prompt more people to show up or buy. I know I would be more likely to buy their stuff if it was at better pricing. Unlike sports, who sell out their events, movie theaters are not nearly as full as years past.

I am also so sick of that bullshit line "if you dont like it, dont do it or buy it" We all know and understand that, but that does not make it right.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:20 PM
Just for giggles and I have 2 extra mins.

a med popcorn and med soda costs about $11 at my local theater.

I do the food shopping so I know.
Soda usually costs me $11 for 4 twelve packs of sodas. My special orville redenbacher gourmet popcorn and oil cost $6 and $3 recpectively.

For $20 bucks, I can eat and drink a whole lot of popcorn and coke. I am surround sound and a 60 inch plasma. I do wait 3 or 4 months til the movie come on dvd and rent or buy it.

I can live with the price of tickets at $10 or $11 bucks. I don't go to 3d viewings, but once a year. I like to eat when I watch movies. If the food was literally half the price, I would buy it everytime. There came a point in which I was not going to support them anymore. I am in sales. It is better to get part of something, than nothing of something. Theaters would rather rip some people off than get some money from everyone. At least rip me off quality goods. $4 for a bottle of water is crazy.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:50 PM
If people do not like the prices, don't buy the crap. Don't go to the movies. Force them to lower prices.

People try to capitalize any chance they get to make money.

Going to the movies is not a right, it is a luxury.

Yes, I know less people go to the movies, but the theaters raise the price to make up for the loss demand. People still go to make up for that loss.

People will always bitch about prices unless it was free, then they would find something else to bitch about.

The theater owners can do what they want, IT IS THEIR BUSINESS. If it drives away customers, it is their own fault for not doing enough to keep demand up.

People complained about gas hitting $4 a gallon saying it was price gouging. Well, the price dropped when it was determined that people would not pay the high prices. It has gone up recently, and for the most part, people are still driving. It will hit $5 before we know it, and then drop to around $4, and it will be considered a bargain.

When you consider that hey I can get popcorn, soda, and other snacks cheaper, maybe it would be cheaper to watch movies at home. More and more people have set their homes up with home theater systems allowing for a similar experience. In the long run, it is cheaper. Invite over some friends, and maybe order some food, same experience, lower price tag.

End of story.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:02 PM
As someone who has heard this complaint endlessly for the past 18 years while working at various movie theaters, all I have to say is:

You don't need a fucking snack to watch a movie.

Think prices are too high? Don't fucking buy anything. No one is making you buy candy or popcorn, so if you don't like the price, shut the fuck up and movie along.

Because guess what? Plenty of people are willing to spend the money, and that's why shit is the price it is: people buy it.

If everyone stopped buying popcorn and candy, you better believe prices would drop. But they won't. So if you just gotta have something in your mouth during the movie, go eat a bag of dicks and see if any of us care.

And I honestly don't care if you sneak shit in, so long as you actually try and hide it. Otherwise, cry me a river, build a bridge and get over it.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:01 AM
I love watching movies in theaters while eating popcorn and drinking soda but I hate to pay for a high theater concession. In this article, Good reason exists for movie theater concession prices I read that the exorbitant prices for popcorn, soda and candy at the movies fueled Michigan resident Joshua Thompson to file a class action lawsuit against his local AMC Theater. He's really brave enough to sue his favorite movie theater for concession.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:31 AM
The dumbass who's suing doesn't have a chance in hell. Like it's already been said, prices are high but he has a choice. I can understand the McDonald's hot coffee and eating fast food rulings - however ridiculous they may be. Those rulings affected how those businesses do their business - most of, if not all, of their products now come with warnings: "Content may be hot," nutrition labels, etc. But suing over high prices? That's more retarded that burning yourself with hot coffee. Don't like it? Don't buy it and sneak it in like everybody else is doing.

I myself try to take advantage of every deal I can get at movie theaters, since I go so often. I get discounted Regal and AMC tickets through work so I usually don't pay full price when I go to the movies. I also have the movie membership cards that get me deals on popcorn and drinks every so often. I recommend that too. They help a little, which is better than nothing.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:46 PM
No way I would buy food in a movie theater.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:53 PM
Suing ... the retarded way of saying i'm too retarded to slip a big bag of Nibs in my side pocket.

GOD BLESS AMERICA !!!