Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Video Games
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2012, 04:29 PM
Capcom's massive Street Fighter X Tekken screw up

Source

Quote:
So, Capcom got themselves into some hot water earlier this month when it was revealed that 12 upcoming DLC characters for Street Fighter X Tekken were actually on disc. Well, the plot thickens, as some crafty hackers have not only managed to unlock the full roster, but are actually playing with them online.

A post on the Capcom Unity blog by user Razum revealed that he fought someone over Xbox LIVE playing as Blanka, an unreleased DLC fighter. On the same thread, Capcom's Christian Svensson posted that Capcom have opened a channel with Microsoft about it and are "working on bans for boxes and accounts with MS for haxxors."

We've reached out to Capcom for further comment, and will update this story as that becomes available. Using these new characters won't be without ramifications, as those caught hacking content on their Xbox 360s are in violation of terms of service, which could result in a lifetime ban. Our question to the hackers is simple: is it really worth a lifetime Xbox LIVE ban to play as DLC characters six months early?

Ummm... what the fuck? I'm not condoning hacking, but the characters were ON DISC! Capcom was going to wait six months to charge people for something they already purchased and was included on the software they obtained at launch.

Is anyone else pissed off at Capcom for this? I can't BELIEVE this is happening. This isn't just cutting out content from the game and selling it as DLC later, it's locking content on the disc and charging you an additional $10-15 to experience that content.

That's like buying a Blu-Ray and having all of the bonus features locked on disc and having to pay extra post-purchase in order to view them.

Thoughts?
Old 03-20-2012, 05:00 PM
Capcom has pretty much earned a boycott from the fans they've alienated and screwed over this generation.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:20 PM
Capcom isn't the only company to do this...

Look at the new UFC Undisputed 3 game. THQ is releasing fighter DLC at a later date but a strategy guide that came out before the game's release, listed certain fighters as being in the game. So THQ took them out just to sell later.

Ridiculous.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:26 PM
Capcom isn't the only company that is doing this unforunately.

My view of it is that DLC's should be extra content that is not done prior to release or whole new content created after release. If the content is done enough to be included on the disk at launch then it should be availible then and there, end of story.

I unforunatly have yet to learn my lesson as i've just purchesed RE: Op Raccoon City in hopes that its a fun ass game. While i havne't heard of any DLC debacles it is still very early. But in all if i don't get really into he game tonight i'm just taking it back tomorrow and getting SH: Downpour instead, heh.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:48 PM
I hope this issue garners some serious backlash for Capcom. Lately they have been up to some freakin' SHENANIGANS, this on-disc DLC debacle is just the latest in a growing list of questionable business practices they have made, and they need to learn the customers aren't happy with this kind of bull. Money talks, and if you're pissed about the stuff Capcom is doing talk with your wallet.

Last edited by Demonluv; 03-22-2012 at 02:56 PM..
Old 03-22-2012, 08:04 PM
This is pretty much standard these days for DLC.

I think Mass Effect did the same thing even.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
This is pretty much standard these days for DLC.
^this

If a game costs more than a quarter of the price payed for the console, its not really a surprise at all when evidence of greed presents itself elsewhere. The sad part is that we all just keep eating it up and basically ignore the fact that we're being duped in the name of mind-numbing entertainment. Myself included.

Oh, and if Capcom is stupid enough to program "locked" content on a disc with intentions of making more money off of it months after said content is privately owned, then they deserve to be taught a lesson by people with the know how to teach it.

Once something is purchased it no longer belongs to the manufacturer.

Last edited by fixedMind; 03-23-2012 at 02:55 AM..
Old 03-23-2012, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
I think Mass Effect did the same thing even.
Both ME2 and 3 did it. The DLC characters were written into the game code pre-release.