Old 07-07-2012, 07:27 PM
The Dark Knight Rises

Directed By Christopher Nolan

Written By Jonathan & Chris Nolan, David Goyer

Genre Action/Adventure/Crime/Thriller/Superhero

Plot Eight years after Batman took the fall for Two Face's crimes, a new terrorist leader, Bane, overwhelms Gotham's finest, and the Dark Knight resurfaces to protect a city that has branded him an enemy.

Cast Christian Bale, Tom Hardy, Ann Hathaway, Gary Oldman, Michael Caine, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Morgan Freeman, Marion Cotillard, Nestor Carbonell, Juno Temple, Matethew Modine

Rated PG-13 for intense sequences of violence and action, some sensuality and language

Runtime 164 min

'Nuff said

Last edited by Smiert Spionam; 07-22-2012 at 05:28 PM..
Old 07-07-2012, 07:38 PM
Old 07-07-2012, 07:48 PM
Old 07-07-2012, 09:29 PM
Have a feeling I'll be leaving the theater with some bittersweet (and hopefully not just bitter) emotions. It's go-time now!
Old 07-07-2012, 09:33 PM
Never heard of this movie. What's it about?
Old 07-07-2012, 10:41 PM
Looks like a piece of shit with one of the biggest hacks working in hollywood!
Old 07-08-2012, 08:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
Looks like a piece of shit with one of the biggest hacks working in hollywood!
You sad little troll.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid Vicious View Post
Some guy who dresses in a bat suit. It's CLEARLY a comedy!
Old 07-07-2012, 10:52 PM

I seriously think that...

Spoiler:
Total Recall will be MUCH better than TDKR

Spoiler:
Old 07-08-2012, 11:51 PM
Quote:
actually just laughed out loud reading this
Old 07-09-2012, 01:20 AM
For people who are going to see the whole trilogy opening night at AMC theaters here is how it is going down.

Starts at 6pm with Batman Begins. There is a 25 minute break before The Dark Knight Then a 45 minute break before The Dark Knight Rises. Tickets are 25 dollars for 2D. $40 for Imax.

I am considering watch the trilogy. But I am betting I work that day. I guess I could try to watch it while I am at work. If I went to another theater (which I want to the one work at is small) I would have to actually pay to get in instead of watching it for free. I am not looking forward to this film that much anyway. But it is Batman.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:21 PM
Quote:
Just wanna nominate this for "Post Of The Year" ..

Old 07-07-2012, 10:45 PM
I'll be skipping it.

Spoiler:
Not
Old 07-16-2012, 05:42 AM
I love the Christopher Nolan as a director and Christian Bale as an Actor.
Before Christopher movies on the topic of Batman was a mess.
Now Batman Character is the best with Christopher Nolan and Christian Bale.

Last edited by tommy12j; 07-17-2012 at 04:27 AM..
Old 07-16-2012, 06:20 AM
Wouldn't recommend reading the Hollywood Reporter reviews, spoilt one of the surprises I was hoping for but wasn't sure would happen.

Fucking Todd McCarthy.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:39 AM
Rotten Tomatoes

7 Positive
0 Negative
Old 07-16-2012, 07:10 AM
C'un this Thursday. Hope it's not packed. Yeah right
Old 07-16-2012, 08:01 AM
Old 07-23-2012, 02:38 AM
Movie Mini-Review: THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

The Dark Knight Rises

****1/2 out of ***** (9/10) Excellent

The expectations for The Dark Knight Rises have been immeasurably high following after the superb piece of work known as The Dark Knight. The pressure on the filmmakers to deliver here was high, and exacerbated by the death of Heath Ledger, which forced the writers to exclude the Joker from the final installment (he was originally supposed to be involved). This, plus the film's lengthy running time (165 min.), caused some people to wonder if this film would be an overstuffed letdown with far too much going on (think Spider-man 3). Fortunately, neither of these supposed "strikes" takes hardly anything away from the finished film. Once again we are given a memorable and well-acted villain, with Tom Hardy playing the role of Bane. He is cold, calculating, and knows exactly what he's doing. He is a real threat to the Dark Knight, and a compelling character in his own right. Is he as memorable as Heath Ledger's Joker? No, he is not. Ledger's Joker is already considered to be among the rare film performances that becomes instantly iconic, quotable, and quickly integrated into the pop culture lexicon. This cannot be said for Bane. However, the directors foresaw this and made the film very much about Bruce Wayne/Batman first and foremost, as was the case in the first film in the trilogy, Batman Begins. The Dark Knight was a movie where the villain stole the show and was essentially the centerpiece of the movie. Here The Batman is the centerpiece, and this is the most compelling and well-written Batman Christian Bale has been given in the entire series. Bale gets more chances to shine here than in the other two films combined. Still, there probably is nothing instantly quotable or pop culture status here. While the film is long, it is not overstuffed, and contains a well-thought-out and character-driven drama. This film has the broadest and most ambitious scope of the three, hence giving it its longer running time. However, as with The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises probably could have had about ten minutes cut out without losing anything, thus giving the film a tighter pace. Also as with the previous film, all of these cuts could have been made in the first hour. Admittedly, this movie does take a while to get going, but the slower pace of the first hour sets up character arcs that are well paid off throughout the rest of the film, so this is quickly forgiven. Most importantly, this film is an immensely satisfying conclusion to the entire trilogy, and the stakes are higher than ever. The best moments in this film are probably more exciting and more satisfying than ANYTHING in the previous two films. In short, this film is VERY slightly below The Dark Knight overall. It has more pacing flaws and lacks an iconic performance like Ledger's Joker, but this is still a masterfully made piece of work that further reinforces the idea that Christopher Nolan is by far the best blockbuster Hollywood director working right now. This film is not to be missed!
Old 12-06-2012, 12:57 AM
im not sure if this had already been pointed out (with over 900 replies im sure it has)... but there was all this talk about how did bruce wayne get back to gotham after escaping the pit so fast... but in the movie Luscious says that the bomb is set to go off in 23 days... when Wayne shows up the Bomb is set to go off the next day... so it took Wayne around 22 days to get back. everyone said it was a plot hole, but it turns out Nolan was smarter than all of us!

Posted from Joblo.com App for Android
Old 12-06-2012, 01:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNet View Post
im not sure if this had already been pointed out (with over 900 replies im sure it has)... but there was all this talk about how did bruce wayne get back to gotham after escaping the pit so fast... but in the movie Luscious says that the bomb is set to go off in 23 days... when Wayne shows up the Bomb is set to go off the next day... so it took Wayne around 22 days to get back. everyone said it was a plot hole, but it turns out Nolan was smarter than all of us!

Doesn't Luscious say that before Wayne retrains/heals and not between the time he escapes and shows back up?

Last edited by The Postmaster General; 12-06-2012 at 01:30 AM.. Reason: pronouns
Old 12-06-2012, 03:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNet View Post

The plot hole was never about the time. It was more of a question of how does a man with no money travel across the world, and enter a city guarded by the military who is keeping people from getting in or out? He's Batman so I'm sure he could do it, but that is a pretty big hurdle for our hero to overcome without explanation.

It almost feels like a joke or a comedy skit where the hero says "We need to cross thousands of miles of ocean and land, and break into this heavily fortified base. We have no money, no vehicles, and no help. We are on our own.", then in the very next scene they are inside the base. That's a lot of very important information to just completely skip over.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:47 AM
^Right, I thought it was more about the pacing issue people had with the movie as a whole. It would really only take a couple days, at the most, to get around the world. One of my favorite sequences in TDK was when they showed how Wayne infiltrated into Hong Kong. My complaint with him showing back up was just the way it was cut, not the plausibility of it.

That said, I don't remember if the time frame was given before or after Wayne actually left the pit. I have the BR trilogy in my closet and have been struggling over whether this one will end up making it as a gift from Santa, as I'm way too eager to pop it in early. I feel like I'm in a 12-step program. 19 days and counting down...
Old 12-06-2012, 07:46 AM
I know Nolan has never used title cards so we're aware of the time jumps, but they would have been very helpful here.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverload View Post
The plot hole was never about the time. It was more of a question of how does a man with no money travel across the world, and enter a city guarded by the military who is keeping people from getting in or out? He's Batman so I'm sure he could do it, but that is a pretty big hurdle for our hero to overcome without explanation.

It almost feels like a joke or a comedy skit where the hero says "We need to cross thousands of miles of ocean and land, and break into this heavily fortified base. We have no money, no vehicles, and no help. We are on our own.", then in the very next scene they are inside the base. That's a lot of very important information to just completely skip over.
Wayne, as a teenager, traveled the world with no money. I guess he learned a thing or two.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:43 PM
Alright, broke into it, a early Xmas gift for me and a kid who's been home sick.

Wayne escapes, the next time frame given is 18 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post
Wayne, as a teenager, traveled the world with no money. I guess he learned a thing or two.
Again though, it wasn't about the feasibility (at least in my case) but more about the way things were cut. It just felt abrupt, kind of out of nowhere, which is a change of pace for the way Nolan has previously shown Wayne doing his thing. But again, it wasn't a real criticism on my end, just something that I wish had been done different. Even my favorite films, there's a few things I'd rather had been done different.

Also, I think you're the one I have to reply to on this, but having watched the BR, I hafta conceded on a point I was arguing against on Bane's voice. There is clearly something going on - I notice it much more than I did in my theatrical viewings. Maybe it was the sound system in the theater I'd seen it twice in, but watching it at home, it stands out. In terms of cadence and other such stuff, I'd never seen the IMAX preview outside of bad bootlegs, but I'm pretty sure you and others were right that it was changed. It's just too different from the other voices in the film to not think there was something reworked beyond just post tweaking.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postmaster General View Post
Alright, broke into it, a early Xmas gift for me and a kid who's been home sick.

Wayne escapes, the next time frame given is 18 hours.

Again though, it wasn't about the feasibility (at least in my case) but more about the way things were cut. It just felt abrupt, kind of out of nowhere, which is a change of pace for the way Nolan has previously shown Wayne doing his thing. But again, it wasn't a real criticism on my end, just something that I wish had been done different. Even my favorite films, there's a few things I'd rather had been done different.

Also, I think you're the one I have to reply to on this, but having watched the BR, I hafta conceded on a point I was arguing against on Bane's voice. There is clearly something going on - I notice it much more than I did in my theatrical viewings. Maybe it was the sound system in the theater I'd seen it twice in, but watching it at home, it stands out. In terms of cadence and other such stuff, I'd never seen the IMAX preview outside of bad bootlegs, but I'm pretty sure you and others were right that it was changed. It's just too different from the other voices in the film to not think there was something reworked beyond just post tweaking.
I hated it. It sounded like they stuck a microphone inside the mask and used that audio. It was so detached. Not like if you were hearing it from outside.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverload View Post

I don't consider that to be important at all in the grand scheme of things. The movie runs 165 min. Why do we need an extra scene or two explaining how Bruce traveled from the prison back to Gotham? It would just kill the pace of the film and it doesn't really accomplish anything.

Obviously, some people feel as if Nolan contradicted his own internal logic established by the first two films in The Dark Knight Rises. I just really don't get that complaint. Nobody was bitching when people were speculating about Bane using an earthquake machine to destroy Gotham a year or two ago, as if that plot element would be more fitting in Nolan's Batman universe than a bomb.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:14 PM
I have to agree with the post above me. I absolutely agree with Postmaster in that it seemed very abrupt, but I personally don't need to know how Bats got back. Shit, it would've been very disappointing if he didn't