Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Best/Worst/Favorites/Etc..
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Who's the best?
Christopher Nolan 8 23.53%
Darren Aronofsky 8 23.53%
David Fincher 18 52.94%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-15-2012, 08:57 PM
Christopher Nolan vs. Darren Aronofsky vs. David Fincher

All three are my top five of directors, but I sometimes have a hard time picking which of the three I like the most. Each have a style that makes them unique and the best in their class, but at the same time, each makes films that focus on obsession, psychological abnormalities, and the construct of ethical behavior. But, if I had to pick something I like about each one it would be Nolan's ability at creating male characters that are rarely just shown simply as good and evil without some sort of motivation that could easily label them as gray as opposed to black & white. I like Aronofsky editing style combined with his fixation on dwelling further into the human psyche--primarily with our addictions and where they can take us. Finally, Fincher uses color palettes--similar to Wes Anderson--that definitely follows the mood of the film, overall. I also like Fincher's sense of general realism, like all of his stories are set in a real world, with real characters, with real conflicts (to a greater or lesser extent). I'd like to know what you guys think.

Christoper Nolan
1. Following
2. Memento
3. Insomnia
4. Batman Begins
5. The Prestige
6. The Dark Knight
7. Inception
8. The Dark Knight Rises

Darren Aronofsky
1. Pi
2. Requiem for a Dream
3. The Fountain
4. The Wrestler
5. Black Swan

David Fincher
1. Alien 3
2. Se7en
3. The Game
4. Fight Club
5. Panic Room
6. Zodiac
7. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
8. The Social Network
9. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
Old 07-15-2012, 09:32 PM
Voted for Fincher, I like more of his movies than from the other two. Then I'd put Aronofsky 2nd and Nolan 3rd.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:44 PM
Right now I'd lean towards fincher because of seven, the game, fight club and zodiac, but i haven't liked his last three movies. In a week from now after seeing the Dark Knight Rises I might be leaning towards Nolan depending on how well I think it can compare with the Dark Knight. In 10 years from now I'd lean towards Aronofsky when he gets some more films under his belt.

Conclusion: I'll officially vote either next week or next decade.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:00 PM
Nolan is my favorite. My ratings:

Spoiler:
4 stars
Memento (Nolan)
The Dark Knight (Nolan)
The Wrestler (Aronofsky)
The Social Network (Fincher)

3 stars
Following (Nolan)
Seven (Fincher)
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Fincher)
Black Swan (Aronofsky)
Fight Club (Fincher)
Inception (Nolan)
Zodiac (Fincher)
Batman Begins (Nolan)

3 stars
Insomnia (Nolan)
The Prestige (Nolan)
Alien 3 (Fincher)

2 stars
The Game (Fincher)
The Fountain (Aronofsky)

1 star
Pi (Aronofsky)

I still need to see Requiem for a Dream, Panic Room, and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:02 PM
David Fincher for me i have seen more movies by him mainly enjoyed them all
Nolan I have only seen the batman movies and inception. all were great
Darren I have only seen the wrestler which is great. looking forward to his veirson of Noah
Old 07-15-2012, 10:16 PM
My Ratings

Christoper Nolan
1. Following- 7/10
2. Memento- 9/10
3. Insomnia- 7/10
4. Batman Begins- 8.5/10
5. The Prestige- 8.5/10
6. The Dark Knight 9/10
7. Inception- 8/10
8. The Dark Knight Rises 7.5/10

Darren Aronofsky
1. Pi- 7.5/10
2. Requiem for a Dream- 10/10
3. The Fountain- 8/10
4. The Wrestler- 7.5/10
5. Black Swan- 9/10

David Fincher
1. Alien 3- 5/10
2. Se7en- 9/10
3. The Game- 9/10
4. Fight Club- 9/10
5. Panic Room- 7.5/10
6. Zodiac- 8/10
7. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button- 8/10
8. The Social Network- 10/10
9. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo- 8.5/10

I think Nolan's first 10/10 for me will be from The Dark Knight Rises, I hope.

Last edited by Roy Batty; 08-26-2012 at 05:59 AM..
Old 07-15-2012, 10:35 PM
I have really grown to love Zodiac after a few viewings and I think it's the best movie since 2000 that any of the directors did, so I give Fincher the edge.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post
Voted for Fincher, I like more of his movies than from the other two. Then I'd put Aronofsky 2nd and Nolan 3rd.
Yep, Fincher is #1. He has several 9/10 or 10/10 masterpieces, including:

Se7en (10/10)
Fight Club (10/10)
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (9.5/10)
Zodiac (9.25/10)
The Social Network (9.25/10)
Old 08-25-2012, 08:25 AM
I would like to switch my vote over to David Fincher because he doesn't have an annoying legion of mindless fanboys like Christopher Nolan does.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:01 PM
This is an interesting discussion. It is hard to pick a favorite which is the best because they have all made their share of high quality cinema.
Fincher has made the most masterpieces but what would kind of films would Nolan have done if he hadn't spend most his career on the Batman trilogy? (Not to say that is a bad thing at all)
Requiem for a Dream is also a masterpiece. That film is an emotional roller coaster that stays in your head forever. (The score by Clint Mansell deserves just as much credit as D.A.) That film along with the Wrestler and Black Swan have the best performances out of this whole discussion.
The Fountain is vastly misunderstood. I don't completely understand it myself but I would still give it a better rating than most of the mediocre ratings it has received.
Also, people really shouldn't rate the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo if they haven't read the book. Fincher nailed everything about that book, matching it with his own gritty style.

Finally,
it would be interesting to see Paul Thomas Andersoson and the Coen Brothers in this discussion. That would make up my top 5 modern directors. Oh, and cannot forget Tarantino either.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:06 PM
This is an interesting discussion. It is hard to pick a favorite which is the best because they have all made their share of high quality cinema.
Fincher has made the most masterpieces but what would kind of films would Nolan have done if he hadn't spend most his career on the Batman trilogy? (Not to say that is a bad thing at all)
Requiem for a Dream is also a masterpiece. That film is an emotional roller coaster that stays in your head forever. (The score by Clint Mansell deserves just as much credit as D.A.) That film along with the Wrestler and Black Swan have the best performances out of this whole discussion.
The Fountain is vastly misunderstood. I don't completely understand it myself but I would still give it a better rating than most of the mediocre ratings it has received.
Also, people really shouldn't rate the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo if they haven't read the book. Fincher nailed everything about that book, matching it with his own gritty style.

Finally,
it would be interesting to see Paul Thomas Andersoson and the Coen Brothers in this discussion. That would make up my top 5 modern directors. Oh, and cannot forget Tarantino either.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMN View Post
Finally,
Anderson and Tarantino could fit into this discussion since they're in the same generation of filmmakers and have legions of young cinephile fans just like the three we're discussing, but I think the Coen Brothers are a generation earlier. They had already released four films--all of them critically acclaimed--before any of the other guys here even got started. It's debatable, but I consider the Coens to be more in line with the Spike Lee/Oliver Stone generation of filmmakers that emerged in the 80's. The rest of these guys emerged in the 90's.