Old 08-12-2012, 10:52 PM
Anyone ever DOWNGRADE from BD to DVD?

Just thought I'd ask. I'm an extremely indecisive person as it is. But my shitty $40 Blu-Ray player I bought from someone on Craigslist a year ago died on me the other day. I had built a meager collection about 12 Blu-Ray's or so.

Having said that, I decided to just purchase a new DVD (upscaling player) from Wal-Mart and convert down to DVD. So I traded all my Blu's back in at my local record store and promptly went back to getting those same movies on DVD again.

This may not sound overly sensical or productive, but it is what it is! I really don't care, so long as I can view the movie and can continue to collect something tangible. (Not a fan of straming video/Netflix at all)

So anyway, am I the only one who's done this?
Old 08-12-2012, 11:34 PM
Well. I see no problem with dvd. I have 1000's. Yet, I have only 3 blurays. And I have no intention of getting anymore. There's nothing wrong with dvd, dude. Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents worth in here, ya know. I would just do what you feel is right. If you are like me in any respect at all, then we both share a common trait in collecting something tangible. Just the other day I bought all 7 seasons of Next Gen Trek and DS9 as box sets brand new for peanuts. Bluray is too slow to release titles. Hell, there's still alot of stuff not yet out on dvd. And dvd is like what, 12-13 years old now?

Stick with your dvds dude. Like you say. You can watch your favs etc
Old 08-12-2012, 11:40 PM
I don't know why this is even an issue.

Blu ray isn't something many people notice or care about.
The cool thing is that there are many times when BRs are even cheaper than the DVD.
It wouldn't hurt to have both options. BR players are cheap, man. I got one for a pub I frequent. $99 and it plays bluray/DVD, upconverts, region-free with SPDIF and analog outputs, HDMI (of course) and has a USB slot that plays jpg, gif, mp4, avi, x264, etc...

If you don't have an HDTV and/or don't give a shit about much-improved video/audio, I don't think it even needs to be mentioned.
Are you posting this to see if someone can sway you back or something?

IMO, you can still be using 8 track players and beta. Why should it matter to anyone else?
Old 08-13-2012, 08:39 PM
Just seeing if I'm the only one man. That's all. It really DOESN'T matter what anyone else thinks about what I'm doing. Just a topic of conversation boss.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:15 PM
I've never purposely downgraded, but I have purchased a dvd copy of a movie I have on bd simply because I prefer to have both. I always look for the combo pack and sometimes I misread the case when it says digital copy combo pack.

Side note: including a digital copy on a dvd disc without a watchable copy of the movie that I can pop into a player annoys the shit out of me.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post
Just seeing if I'm the only one man. That's all. It really DOESN'T matter what anyone else thinks about what I'm doing. Just a topic of conversation boss.
Yeah, I didn't intend to come off like a jerk, but after I posted I realized it kinda seemed that way. Sometimes I just want to make my posts shorter and not type a lot, but then it comes across as cross.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmushroom View Post
Side note: including a digital copy on a dvd disc without a watchable copy of the movie that I can pop into a player annoys the shit out of me.
Me, too!
For example I pulled GRAN TORINO off the shelf and saw this exact thing. Ticks me off. What a waste of resources.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KcMsterpce View Post
Yeah, I didn't intend to come off like a jerk, but after I posted I realized it kinda seemed that way. Sometimes I just want to make my posts shorter and not type a lot, but then it comes across as cross.
No problem KC. I sorta figured you weren't intentionally being a dick or anything.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:21 PM
Err, with over 200 blu-rays, it's really hard for me to downgrade. Though, if there are no BD versions of movies I really want, then I'll get them on DVD. Grandma's Boy being the example. It's hard when you look at HD and then go to the same movie on DVD lol.

But I did buy a Laser Disc version of Goldeneye from a pawn shop for the hell of it lol.

Quote:
This. I cannot stand it when I see it on blu-ray and I always think that's what makes it part of the price if it's a brand new movie. I mean one could argue that it's good for family or friends who have only DVD players around, but still with my circle, everyone has a blu-ray player or a ps3.

Edit: Just realized, you were talking about digital copies. Also never use them, but the DVD's attached as a combo is a little too much.

Last edited by Chef_Lebowski; 08-13-2012 at 11:29 PM..
Old 08-16-2012, 03:05 PM
Yeah I've seen a lot of sales for Blu Ray players for around $50-60...I'm betting we see a lot of sub $40 prices during black friday this year...

But yeah I still occasionally snag some dvd's time to time, mostly older films that I still wanted to add to my collection. But I've been purchasing all new releases on Blu since really late '07 full time '08.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:02 PM
Nope, still buying Blu-Rays. Why pay for an HDTV of your not going to use it to its full potential? That itself is a waste. Unless your using an old tv, then its cool.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-17-2012, 11:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Of Canada View Post
Nope, still buying Blu-Rays. Why pay for an HDTV of your not going to use it to its full potential? That itself is a waste. Unless your using an old tv, then its cool.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2
Yeah, you've gotta good point. The upconversion on the particular DVD player I recently purchased helps. It's not near the same as Blu-Ray of course, but it's better than nothing!
Old 08-18-2012, 12:06 AM
I've been pretty impressed with the upconverting ability of my blu-ray player. I recently upgraded, and while I've purchased a decent amount of BR's that I own as DVD's, I find the DVD quality is not bad enough that it hurts the viewing experience.