#1  
Old 08-16-2012, 02:21 PM
Best Coen brothers characters...

So yeah, who doesn't love the Coen's? Nobody I know. They may not be the best filmmakers working but they write the best characters IMO. If you do not like them, feel free to ignore this thread and go crawl into your hole and remain in the minority.

So, who's the best/funniest/quirkiest/eccentric/coolest/etc Coen character?

My personal favorites are HI McDunnough, Jerry Lundegaard, Chad Feldheimer, and Pete Hogwallop. I really like the dumb asses or even better, the dumb asses who think they are smart. I laugh out loud just thinking about these characters.

Rooster Cogburn is really a cool character but hard to give them full credit for that one.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-16-2012, 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustysyringe View Post
So yeah, who doesn't love the Coen's?
Lots of stupid people. It's unfortunate, but true.

To answer your question, I particularly love H.I., Nathan Arizona, The Dude, Walter Sobchak, Ulysses Everett McGill, Pete and Delmar.

I also really love Tom Reagan but he sort of falls under your Rooster Cogburn rubric.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-16-2012, 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Turgidson View Post
Lots of stupid people. It's unfortunate, but true.

To answer your question, I particularly love H.I., Nathan Arizona, The Dude, Walter Sobchak, Ulysses Everett McGill, Pete and Delmar.

I also really love Tom Reagan but he sort of falls under your Rooster Cogburn rubric.
You like the funny too, awesome!

I know a lot of people are still gushing over Anton and No Country, rightfully so it is great. But I prefer the Coen's comedy to their more dramatic flicks.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-16-2012, 04:52 PM
The Dude (Jeff Bridges in The Big Lebowski)
Walter Sobchak (John Goodman in The Big Lebowski)
Jesus Quintana (John Turturro in The Big Lebowski)
Marge Gunderson (Frances McDormand in Fargo)
Jerry Lundergaard (William H. Macy in Fargo)
Anton Chigurh (Javier Bardem in No Country For Old Men)
Rooster Cogburn (Jeff Bridges in True Grit)

I'm not sure if Anton Chigurh or Rooster Cogburn count since the Coens didn't make those characters up, but their versions of those guys are certainly worth note.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-16-2012, 06:44 PM
Raising Arizona was chalk full of them.

John Goodman and William Forsythe as Gale and Evelle Snoats
Randall Tex Cobb as Leonard Smalls
Cage and Hunter as H.I. and Edwina
Sam McMurray and Frances McDormand as Glen and Dot

Everyone else is a fucking riot too. One of the best movies ever.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-16-2012, 07:00 PM
I'll try to go with some that haven't been mentioned yet:

Bernie Bernbaum (John Turturro) in Miller's Crossing
Carl Showalter (Steve Bucsemi) in Fargo
Wendell (Garret Dillahunt) in No Country for Old Men
Osborne Cox (John Malkovich) in Burn After Reading
Sy Ableman (Fred Melamed) in A Serious Man

Last edited by Bourne101; 08-16-2012 at 07:04 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-25-2012, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Turgidson View Post
Lots of stupid people. It's unfortunate, but true.

To answer your question, I particularly love H.I., Nathan Arizona, The Dude, Walter Sobchak, Ulysses Everett McGill, Pete and Delmar.

I also really love Tom Reagan but he sort of falls under your Rooster Cogburn rubric.
That is not fair to say. It is funny though that people who are like the characters in the Coen movies do not like their movies. I guess they do not like seeing themselves.

My fav is Ulysses Everett McGill (George Clooney) from O Brother Where Art Thou?

Followed closely by MIles (George again) in Intolerable Cruelty.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-25-2012, 07:28 PM
Is that what you actually meant to write? Because I fail to see either how anything I wrote isn't fair to say or how you're really disagreeing with any of it.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-25-2012, 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Turgidson View Post
Is that what you actually meant to write? Because I fail to see either how anything I wrote isn't fair to say or how you're really disagreeing with any of it.
Well you are kind of implying that anyone who doesn't like the Coen brothers are stupid which is ridiculous. But I never said anything till now since I'm sure, at least I'd like to think, you are just joking around and not being serious.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-25-2012, 11:50 PM
No, I'm not implying that at all.

Not everyone who dislikes the Coens is stupid. But lots of stupid people do dislike them, just because the're too supid to grasp what they're doing. They're like comedic versions of Stanley Kubrick.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-26-2012, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
That is not fair to say. It is funny though that people who are like the characters in the Coen movies do not like their movies. I guess they do not like seeing themselves.

My fav is Ulysses Everett McGill (George Clooney) from O Brother Where Art Thou?

Followed closely by MIles (George again) in Intolerable Cruelty.
You know, I really enjoy Intolerable Cruelty. I never understood the hate for that film and think it is hilarious. And you are right, Clooney is aces in that role.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-06-2012, 06:00 AM
Impossible!

I know this is a probably a cop-out but there are just too many to choose from. And further, how do you separate the character that's on paper with the performance of the actor/actress?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-06-2012, 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
My fav is Ulysses Everett McGill (George Clooney) from O Brother Where Art Thou?
Damn we're in a tight spot!


Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefe15 View Post
I know this is a probably a cop-out but there are just too many to choose from. And further, how do you separate the character that's on paper with the performance of the actor/actress?
I don't disagree. It's worth saying that Joel or Ethan stated in an interview that Jeff Bridges didn't ad lib any of The Dude. They said that every single "man", "um" and all the fillers in the script were written exactly that way on page. I'm only mentioning this because I thought it was hella awesome on both Bridges and The Coens.

Last edited by The Postmaster General; 09-06-2012 at 10:59 PM..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump