Old 08-19-2012, 12:10 PM
Killer Joe

Directed by William Friedkin (French Connection, Exorcist)
Starring: Matthew McConaughey, Emile Hirsch, Juno Temple, Gina Gershon and Thomas Haden Church

Wow, what a sick and twisted piece of filmmaking. I loved every second of it. Anyone else see this yet? McConaughey plays Killer Joe, a cop who moonlights as a killer for hire. Hirsch, Temple, Gershon and Church are a family of rednecks who hire him for a job that will result in them getting rich, at least by redneck standards. As dark as it is, this the funniest movie I've seen all year, which I'm pretty sure means I need professional help. Hard to believe this is based on a play (by Tracy Letts who also wrote the screenplay) because watching some of this shit in person would be very uncomfortable. This is the first NC-17 rating ever that actually seems justified.

I'm glad to see that Friedkin, one of that great group of directors from the 70's, hasn't lost his edge. He's been through a bit of a dry spell since To Live and Die in L.A. but proves here that the underrated Bug from a few years ago was no fluke. That movie was also written by Tracy Letts (again based on his play) and I hope he comes up with another twisted tale for Friedkin to direct. These two make a great team.

Find a way to see Killer Joe, you won't be sorry. Actually you might be.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:51 PM

I need to see this shit.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:21 AM
Director William Friedkin presents one of the most screwed up families in a film based on and original stage play by written by Tracy Letts
In Killer Joe:there's Chris(Emile Hirsch) the drug dealer,his dim bulb dad Ansel(Thomas Haden Church) Ansel's slutty wife Sharla(Gina Gershon)
and Ansel's loopy virgin daughter Dottie (Juno Temple)
The plan is simple enough hire Killer Joe (Matthew McConaughey)a sadistic cop/assassin to kill a family member,get the insurance money due to Dottie.
But with a crew like this you know something....everything will go wrong.
The film excels when i didnt quite know where a scene was going and placed me firmly on the edge of my seat,the standout
being the "family" dinner.
Abruptness plagues the film here and there and at times it felt like i was watching a stage play instead of a film.
But the entire cast takes bold chances with the lurid and edgy script.But it's McConaughey who comes out on top.
He injects Joe with just the right amount of icy,slow burn,unflinching control.

My feelings on the NC-17 rating,well when the film ended i found myself saying:Thats it?!? That's why it received an NC-17
rating? I have to agree with David Dinerstein of LD Entertaiment,the films distributor who stated :There are far more disturbing
films that have received R ratings.
Dinerstein is right i have walked out of R rated films i have found offensive and beyond sickening and disturbing.
Yes there is nudity and violence in Killer Joe but i dont think the material deserves an NC-17 rating.
But one thing is for sure i will never look at a chicken leg the same again.

Scale of 1-10 an 8
Old 08-20-2012, 10:25 AM
Fuck, I won't get this in theaters where I am. If it does make it, it will last two weeks at the most. Hopefully it shows up online soon because outside of The Master, Killing Them Softly, and Lawless, there is nothing I am anticipating more. In fact the more I hear and the more I read, this sounds like the film of the year.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:29 AM
I saw this yesterday and really enjoyed it. Killer Joe is about a Faustian Bargain between a redneck family and a deranged cop/killer. Matthew McConaughey steals the show as the title character. It's the darkest role he's ever played, and one of his best. There's a real sense of danger to Joe Cooper that he conceals with his devil's wit early on in the story. But once the violence starts, we see the true colors of the characters. The entire cast did a great job. Thomas Haden Church is hilarious as Ansel, and Juno Temple gives a very nuanced but solid performance as the head-in-the-clouds Dottie. Gina Gershon at first seems to have a thankless part, but you'll never forget her once you get to that insane over-the-top ending, which you'll either love or hate depending on how black you like your dark comedies.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:43 PM
A bent tale of gleeful smuttiness. Pulpy cinematic candy floss.

My screening was packed with pensioners and they were lapping it up just as much as me.

It will land in my top five for this year, no doubt.

Last edited by viceus; 08-21-2012 at 05:47 PM..