Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2012, 01:20 AM
First one to a Second Oscar: Ben Affleck or Matt Damon?

Just something I was thinking about earlier today. You have these 2 guys, and when it came to acting, Damon for a long time seemed to be pulling in the more respected projects, even earning an additional nomination for Invictus. While Affleck took a very public beating from everyone in the world it seemed for his acting choices.

And now you have Affleck come out and quickly becoming one of the best directors out there, and because of that, his acting has taken an uptick as well, cuz he was awesome in The Town and word is Argo is also amazing.

Perhaps this question is a bit moot, because early word has it that Affleck is all but guaranteed a nomination for Argo (Directing)

but I do want to discuss this: Who do you all think, of the Good Will Hunting Triumphant Twosome, will be the first person to earn their Second Oscar?

I think it will be Affleck for Directing, even if he doesnt win this year for Argo, his first 2 movies were ones he should have been nominated for, and once the Academy starts to realize they have to recognize him, he will start racking in the awards, the way Eastwood did.

But I do also see Damon one day taking home an acting win, I just think Affleck will get to the podium first!
Old 09-01-2012, 01:28 AM
Ben Affleck will probably win another Oscar before Matt Damon. I think it's very possible that Matt Damon never gets another Oscar for the rest of his career.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:56 AM
Yeah Affleck's momentum is pretty strong. He's also hitting a lot of different things with writing, directing, acting. Damon never actually won for acting but that seems to be where he's focusing himself at this point.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:43 AM
If Argo is even just half as great as it looks, my bet will be with Ben. I'm seriously anticipating this gets multiple oscar nominations.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:17 PM
I'm thinking Affleck will win another before Damon, but I don't know if it will be for Argo.

I think the movie looks great, but will the Oscars really reward it. I can see nominations, including possibly director, but I don't see any wins, atm.

I see that Affleck didn't write the script for this one, but if the movie is loved enough for the Academy to give it wins, Affleck has a shot in director. But I still think he is more likely to win another writing Oscar than one for directing or acting. He got close to screenplay noms for his previous two films.

Usually if you have a writer-director nominated for both categories at the Oscars, they will reward them in writing. Ex: Alexander Payne, The Coen Brothers (Fargo), Jane Campion, Sofia Coppola, Neil Jordan (The Crying Game), and Woody Allen just last year. That's where my thinking is coming from.

But like I said, if the Academy really loves the movie and wants to reward Affleck, it will have to be for directing this time or even Best Picture since he's a producer.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
If Argo is even just half as great as it looks, my bet will be with Ben. I'm seriously anticipating this gets multiple oscar nominations.
This
Old 09-05-2012, 06:48 PM
Gotta go with Affleck here.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:43 PM
Ben is clearly in the superior position to get an Oscar since he can win Best picture with Argo. It's got at least a 1/5 shot of winning Best Picture I believe .
Old 01-16-2013, 02:35 AM
I've been increasingly feeling that Argo is going to win best picture, partially fueled by people voting for it extra hard because Ben didn't get in for Best Director. There's clearly a lot of good will and respect in Hollywood for Ben and the film.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:42 AM
Asked... and Answered!

Very glad Argo won best picture, of the nominees it was and only second to Dark Knight Rises in my book this year
Old 02-25-2013, 12:46 AM
Argo currently ranks #9 in my top 10. But of all the films nominated for best picture, it ranks at #3.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:44 AM
Now that Affleck has a second Oscar, I'm going to take this a step further and say that he wins a third before Damon wins a second.