Old 09-07-2012, 11:05 AM
The Words

"By now, you know the drill with Bradley Cooper: He will play a handsome jerk and he will play it well, and each jerk will be slightly different than the last and each jerk will push the limits of Cooper’s acting abilities in ways the previous jerk did not, and each jerk he plays will lead to bigger and better jerks up the road, and the leading man will take his pick at which jerk he will next bring to life.

In The Words, Cooper plays the biggest archetypal jerk there is – the struggling writer, a character grounded so deeply in his fragile vanity, grandiose ambition, and desperate megalomania that his own psyche is the central cause of conflict. You could say that Cooper has been preparing to play this particular jerk, literary nothing-turned-overnight-superstar Rory Jansen, his entire career."

Review - http://wp.me/p2CCWq-1Xv
Old 09-08-2012, 01:10 AM
I think the movie looks great. I'm a bit disappointed though by the reviews and lack of buzz. People complain about how we rarely get truly original movies and this looks like one to me. But it's not getting too much attention sadly.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:25 AM
I'm probably not the first one to say this, but this is a literary movie for people who don't read. 1/10. Not a worthwhile moment the whole way through. The film even manages to completely bungle having JK Simmons on board. From a purely filmmaking standpoint it's more like 4 or 5 of 10, but this offended me with wasting some actually good ideas and pretending to be smart about writing and the process of writing. Oy.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:14 AM
A movie about writing! It's practically an oxymoron. Unless you have the wit of somebody like Hunter S Thompson, this concept just won't work in the language of cinema. The trailer was trying way too hard, it looks bad.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
A movie about writing! It's practically an oxymoron. Unless you have the wit of somebody like Hunter S Thompson, this concept just won't work in the language of cinema. The trailer was trying way too hard, it looks bad.
Agreed. I mean, Adaptation pretty much nails the neurotic nature of the process. Finding Forester speaks in platitudes, but most of what it says about writing is spot-on, if pretty basic. Barton Fink has a few great writing insights amid the industry in-jokes and stuff. But yeah, it's just not a medium to get it across very well.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:02 AM
The Words works when it focuses on the frustrations and disappointments of longing to be a writer Rory Jansen (Bradley Cooper) and his loving and supporting girlfriend, Dora (Zoe Saldana) but this is a story within a story within a story,which loses it's focus.
It's a well acted film and Jeremy Irons is the stand out as "the old man" who's manuscript Rory plagiarizes.
When the film turns to author Clayton Hammond (Dennis Quaid) and a Daniella(Olivia Wilde) a fan of his work and when her flirtation with him turns into a cross examination,
i kept asking where is this going? why does she keep questioning him? What's the point of this? Questions that lead to a semi ambiguous ending.

The Words is not a terrible film,but its definitely one that loses it's way.
Scale of 1-10 a 6